REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #26
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
in toronto. i really like the use of Bixies so do get a chance to get around.

There's the super long street that's similar to our gas town, really hippy type clothing shops that goes on for ever.

Chinatown is a great place to get good viet sub, there's this place i went 3 yrs ago and also last month and their viet buns were still 2.50. totally awesome and unheard of nowadays.

toronto always have shit going on: every weekend.
Toronto.com ? Summer Festivals

Kensington Market,
Off The Beaten Path when you go via spadina / chinatown and it's like gas town through the alleys during sat and sunday there are tons of people selling clothing similar to commericial drive. very cool.
Kensington Market, Toronto, Canada Off The Beaten Path: Reviews, Photos - VirtualTourist

Market Square - St. Catharines
it's like our granville island and they have peameal bacon which is something you ahve to try.

The Distillery Historic District
it's like our granville island with more bars and misc shopping. veyr veyr cool.

all in all, i would walk down their version of Robson and then DO NOT go shopping cause it's the same shit as Van, just go to the places I went to mentioned above and you'll have a much better time.

OH, rent a car
1) when you're on the highway, it's call the Collectors = place for cars to merge in, it does NOT mean there's a toll coming up.
2) Sunday morning parking is free until 12 PM so it's pretty good.
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #27
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidish View Post
bumping an old thread here.

is Toronto really that dull? i've been thinking of visting there for quite some time now. I just found a great deal on airfare/hotel for next week and i'm thinking of pulling the trigger.
It's not really all that bad, but it's not somewhere I would want to live.

They have a growing food scene and there is usually something to do. Despite being the centre of the universe and the size of the city itself, you'll find something to do. Maybe you like getting hammered on the weekend, or perhaps you enjoy art galleries. There's lots to do and see and every neighbourhood has its flavour, from hipster areas, family oriented communities, to cultural hubs.

Start with 6793026's suggestions and go from there.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
If you are looking to splurge yourself a bit, I highly recommend Kaji in Toronto (it's a bit out of downtown, but totally worth the drive). It used to be $80-$100-$120 multi-course menu. Now I think it's $120-$150.

Hands down the best Japanese food I have ever had in North America, and I have been to top tier Japanese restaurants like Morimoto and EN in NYC. Nothing overly fancy or exotic, just pure Japanese cuisine at its finest.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #29
~~

Going to give a revised recommendation post after living in both Montreal + Toronto for the past 4 years. (can't believe I even brought up Tokyo. That place is garbage.)

MONTREAL
**BYOW restaurants - tons around!
**LATE NIGHT MENUS!! There's a huge list of restaurants that do a special prix fixe 3-course menu after 9, 10, 11 PM for like $15-35. Someone recommended Moishes for steak - pretty pricy normally ($50+ entrees) but they have a late night menu for $25

Memorable restaurants I still dream about:
  • Le Serpent
  • Leméac

Super popular places I've been meaning to try / need a reservation:
  • Le Pied de Cochon - "duck in a can" is the specialty. Really RICH food like foie gras poutine
  • Joe Beef
  • Park restaurant - be prepared to drop $$$$ on very high end japanese

Cool bar/lounges/etc
  • Mme Lee - more hipster crowd
  • Furco - lounge, young professionals crowd the place after work hours. Food's rly good too
  • Stereo/Stereobar - Stereo is an afterhours
  • Pullman - wine bar, good for dates

I've eaten my way thru Montreal so if anyone wants to know what I think about a certain place - whether it's worth a visit or skip, feel free to PM me
rien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #30
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
+1 to Au Pied de Cochon and Joe Beef. Do make reservations!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #31
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
a few pics i dug up as well:

Montreal smoked meat at Nickels:
Spoiler!
Now THAT's a smoked meat sandwich. I had another post where I didn't like Schwartz for the trainwreck of a sandwich. I wish I tried the place posted in the pics above. Those are nice strips of smoked meat I would love to dig into.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote