REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
OBD2 scanner for laptops?

hey guys I found this, I'm planning to get it.. any thoughts?
ELM327 USB Vehicle OBD-2 Scanner Tool - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=54BSNxKagu4
Advertisement
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
I am Hook'd on RS

I have the aame one, you're gonna have a ey hard time setting it up so it actually reads your car but it will work. It is usb but you till have to connect it to a "com" port which is quite difficult.
If you have a android device, inwould suggest getting the android wireles s version, its 20$ inthink and its plug and play
Vancouver_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
^whats so hard about it? Would like to get a ODB-2 scanner as well (for 2004 Civic)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_M5 View Post
I have the aame one, you're gonna have a ey hard time setting it up so it actually reads your car but it will work. It is usb but you till have to connect it to a "com" port which is quite difficult.
If you have a android device, inwould suggest getting the android wireles s version, its 20$ inthink and its plug and play
I don't have an andriod =( and yeah.. what's so hard about settin it up?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Well im very computer savvy and it took me and a another programmer friend of mine 3 hours to set it up. This OBD tech connects to your pc through Com's , something i can almost guarantee you dont have, this is ancient technology and the software you get with it is terrible and ven more ancient. You ge no instructions and you have to do everything manually, ( choosing Coms, setting up the refresh rate, polling rate, etc)
There are bluetooth obd readera that conect to iphones as well but they cost 50$,
Its not impossible to make it run, just annoying as hell
Vancouver_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Anyone have xp with this?

Scan Tool Red OBDLink SX OBD II 2 Scanner FREE SOFTWARE | eBay

(Other link in case ebay expires: http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx.html )
Thinking about picking it up

Too late,
purchased. Will report back with results once I receive it.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.

Last edited by The_AK; 06-20-2012 at 01:11 PM.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #7

that's 60 bucks! ill probably pick up a real OBD with 60
Old 06-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You have to ask yourself what are you going to use the adaptor for?

If your car has specialized diagnostic tools eg VW, BMW, Mercedes etc.. don't go with a generic OBD2.. you get more features with one that is designed for your marque.. eg turning DRL on off, programming keys etc.

OBD2 is the base protocol that everyone has to know.. however different car manufacturers "enchanced" the protocols in many different ways.. that's why it depends on which car manufacturer you are "loyal" to.

If you just want for general clearing codes for any cars.. then wait and get the $10-20 generic ones from Princess Auto.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #9

read codes / clear codes on a 03 camry and 06 tsx
Old 06-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
For Japanese car just get a generic one when Princess Auto goes one sale.

Because Japanese car manufacturers don't have disclosure laws like Europeans.. they don't' have to publish their diagnostic specs.non factory support is limited at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
read codes / clear codes on a 03 camry and 06 tsx
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,506 Times in 4,310 Posts
Look on Craigslist. Once in a while, some OBD scanners pop up for sale.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i can help anyone that needs to have their code read and cleared!! don't go to the dealer or a garage to have it done, its the biggest rip off ever!
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

For reading OBD-II info in a nice and fancy way, plus the ability to read and clear codes. I use an eBay bluetooth OBD-II dongle, with a jackbroken iPhone running dash command.

Total cost was $18, also get the benefit of accessing simple engine data such as water/intake temp etc etc, out of sight when I don't need it, no wiring
Little Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Tea View Post
For reading OBD-II info in a nice and fancy way, plus the ability to read and clear codes. I use an eBay bluetooth OBD-II dongle, with a jackbroken iPhone running dash command.

Total cost was $18, also get the benefit of accessing simple engine data such as water/intake temp etc etc, out of sight when I don't need it, no wiring
u got the link to that?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

What link do you need?

All these eBay bluetooth dongles under USD $20 are the same, no difference which seller you get one.

You'll need a jailbroken iphone, I'm sure if you don't already know how to, you can learn it easily.

You'll also need the Cydia app roqyGPS4, to get around iPhone's inherent inability to pair with the bluetooth dongle.

Lastly you will need the monitor app, you get only two choices, Rev or Dash Command, Rev has a anti-jailbreak function built in, unless you know how to get around it, I don't.

Lastly, you can also do this legitly, look up Kiwi PLX, but the non-jailbroken one would cost you close to 200 bucks while I get mine done for 18.

Peace
Little Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #16

anyone tried this?
Latest ELM327 OBD2 OBDII CAN-BUS Diagnostic Scanner USB with Free Software | eBay
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I personally don't see the point in getting a code reader if you don't know how to actually fix your car and figure out what the code actually does.

One of the worst things you can do is to have a code pop up to turn your CEL on, clear the code and keep driving until it appears again. Then clear and repeat. Worse yet is to get a code, google it and see what other people did to fix that code and assume your car has the same problem. Many OBD codes can have numerous possible problems, so knowing the code doesn't guarantee a specific problem. I'll give two very common example codes:

P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction.

What does this mean? The ECU normally monitors both the voltage and current through the sensor heater. If it's out of range then this code sets. So what can cause it? From beginning to end they would be: fuse for heater circuits, relay for heaters (if present), wire from power supply to the sensor, sensor connector, the O2 sensor itself, wire from sensor to ECU, connector at ECU and finally the ECU itself. Most people replace the sensor, which is a good guess. And if, after the sensor is replaced the code comes back, then what?

P0171 - System Too Lean.

This is a common code on many newer cars. It basically means the ECU has to add additional fuel because the engine is running lean. Possible causes for this code include: fuel pressure too low, fuel pump not able to deliver enough fuel under load (worn out pump motor), clogged injectors, restricted fuel line, O2 sensor out of range, MAF (mass air sensor), intake air leaks (for example, bad gaskets at the throttle body/intake manifold or a leak in any of the engine vacuum lines).

About the only benefit I see to having a code reader is so you can read your codes before going to a shop (without deleting them) to check and see if your mechanic is telling you the truth when he explains what they found when they diagnosed your car. As a tool to help you fix your car yourself they are almost useless (unless you're a mechanic).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #18

I'm not a pro auto tech, but i have lots of interest in cars... i love working on them I'll think for a bit before i make my decision. Thanks dangonay