REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Popped my shoulder during workout (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669908-popped-my-shoulder-during-workout.html)

chickenugget69 06-21-2012 07:22 PM

Popped my shoulder during workout

So i did something very stupid today
I didn't sleep for 24 hours (maybe more) and I went to work out without a spotter. I was doing shoulder press with free weights (i was doing a weight I never did before) and as I raised the dumbells, my left shoulder sort of popped/collapsed and i dropped the dumbells. I heard popping sounds, it hurt for a while (not excruciating pain, but kinda like when you sprain something). I stopped my workout soon after, and the pain has gotten less. However I'm still concerned this could be something serious

It hurts when I raise my arm above my neck, however turning front and back is fine. I slept and when I woke up it hurt more (i think because i moved it less). I've had something similar before, and it took maybe a week or two until I was fully healed. Should I be concerned? Should I go to the doctor?

I kind of have a lot of plans this weekend and next week so I don't want to disrupt them and go to the doctor for something small. Has this happened to anyone?

All comments are appreciated. thanks

Splmash 06-21-2012 10:02 PM

I've popped out the same shoulder twice. The first time was from rugby and all I did was rest it for a week or two and got back to practicing.

Second time I was working out doing cleans and it popped out. After that I was in pain for a week and took 2 off. Got back into it and realized that not doing physio or anything was super stupid - your shoulder will never be the same. When I finally got it checked out, I was in deep shit. Had to get some shots to relieve the bones from grinding into each other. Physiotherapist ruled me out of the gym doing shoulder intensive workouts and on the field playing rugby for 3 months. Worth it? Definitely.

Moral of the story: go see a doctor and physiotherapist ASAP.

RacingMetro92 06-21-2012 10:04 PM

You'll be tender for about a week if you've never popped a shoulder before. I've done mine 4 times each playing rugby so I can help a bit. Just go to a walk-in clinic, they'll have a look and send you for x-rays as a precaution to see if there isn't anything serious. Just see a doctor if you're worried.

instantneedles 06-21-2012 10:17 PM

This is exactly why you have to start off with a warm-up set so that you really get the synovial fluid lubricating the joint. It really sucks, but as already mentioned, make sure you see a doctor immediately and he may or may not recommend you a physio depending on how serious it is. From your description, it doesn't sound too serious, if it was popped from being in contact with something, that'd be a different story...

racerman88 06-23-2012 12:48 PM

get it looked after by a doctor and look into physio. Maybe look into strengthening your rotator cuff when in the gym

GGnoRE 06-23-2012 01:22 PM

Damaging your rotator cuffs can have a long lasting effect.

Make sure you go see a doctor and heal up properly before putting heavy pressure on your shoulders again.

westopher 07-01-2012 03:03 PM

As said by everyone, see a doctor. Sounds maybe like a partial dislocation. If you don't let it heal properly, expect it to happen more and more often a time goes on. My shoulders at one point were dislocating in my sleep, almost every time I fell with my arm outstretched snowboarding, skateboarding etc. After about 3 years of lots of working it out and just being lucky its finally feeling like it should.