REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Popped my shoulder during workout

So i did something very stupid today
I didn't sleep for 24 hours (maybe more) and I went to work out without a spotter. I was doing shoulder press with free weights (i was doing a weight I never did before) and as I raised the dumbells, my left shoulder sort of popped/collapsed and i dropped the dumbells. I heard popping sounds, it hurt for a while (not excruciating pain, but kinda like when you sprain something). I stopped my workout soon after, and the pain has gotten less. However I'm still concerned this could be something serious

It hurts when I raise my arm above my neck, however turning front and back is fine. I slept and when I woke up it hurt more (i think because i moved it less). I've had something similar before, and it took maybe a week or two until I was fully healed. Should I be concerned? Should I go to the doctor?

I kind of have a lot of plans this weekend and next week so I don't want to disrupt them and go to the doctor for something small. Has this happened to anyone?

All comments are appreciated. thanks

chickenugget69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've popped out the same shoulder twice. The first time was from rugby and all I did was rest it for a week or two and got back to practicing.

Second time I was working out doing cleans and it popped out. After that I was in pain for a week and took 2 off. Got back into it and realized that not doing physio or anything was super stupid - your shoulder will never be the same. When I finally got it checked out, I was in deep shit. Had to get some shots to relieve the bones from grinding into each other. Physiotherapist ruled me out of the gym doing shoulder intensive workouts and on the field playing rugby for 3 months. Worth it? Definitely.

Moral of the story: go see a doctor and physiotherapist ASAP.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

You'll be tender for about a week if you've never popped a shoulder before. I've done mine 4 times each playing rugby so I can help a bit. Just go to a walk-in clinic, they'll have a look and send you for x-rays as a precaution to see if there isn't anything serious. Just see a doctor if you're worried.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
This is exactly why you have to start off with a warm-up set so that you really get the synovial fluid lubricating the joint. It really sucks, but as already mentioned, make sure you see a doctor immediately and he may or may not recommend you a physio depending on how serious it is. From your description, it doesn't sound too serious, if it was popped from being in contact with something, that'd be a different story...

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

get it looked after by a doctor and look into physio. Maybe look into strengthening your rotator cuff when in the gym
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Damaging your rotator cuffs can have a long lasting effect.

Make sure you go see a doctor and heal up properly before putting heavy pressure on your shoulders again.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
As said by everyone, see a doctor. Sounds maybe like a partial dislocation. If you don't let it heal properly, expect it to happen more and more often a time goes on. My shoulders at one point were dislocating in my sleep, almost every time I fell with my arm outstretched snowboarding, skateboarding etc. After about 3 years of lots of working it out and just being lucky its finally feeling like it should.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote