REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

credit card fraud

has anyone ever had this happen to them?

someone managed to spend 7k on a card that I have and it was in my pocket the whole time. I disputed the charges and the credit card company was investigating. Never heard anything back from them. Fast forward 1 year I get a collections letter for the 7000 dollars?

wtf? they said that someone knew the pin that was using the card. the card never left my wallet.
Advertisement
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 6,339 Times in 2,987 Posts
Why didn't you follow up? Lost my card once people charged a bunch of stuff to it and my CC company refunded the charges. Call you credit card a.s.a.p.
Spoiler!

I don't need an amplifier I'm already big, best on any track call me the Stig - Shizzo

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
G'd up! w000weee

I've had it happen to me as well. My card was in my possession the whole time too.

Like you, I disputed the charges and the credit card company investigated. I was compensated for the fraud charges.

You should call your credit card company and clear things up with them.
Did they ever reverse the $7000 in fraud charges made to your card?
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

they did reverse it and right after that I canceled the card only because I already had another visa and this one obviously had me a little bit paranoid!! Never heard from the collection agency or the credit card company. Just from the bank when I applied for another mortgage the other day saying I need to clear up the debt.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
what bank/cc is this? and what kind of fraud was this? purchases or advanced cash withdraws on atms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,307 Times in 742 Posts
I had 1300 in starbucks cards fraudulently charged on my visa once, I called them and asked them to cancel, fast forward 2 months, charges still on my account. I called AGAIN and they wiped it immediately.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ta View Post

someone managed to spend 7k on a card that I have and it was in my pocket the whole time. I disputed the charges and the credit card company was investigating. Never heard anything back from them. Fast forward 1 year I get a collections letter for the 7000 dollars?

wtf? they said that someone knew the pin that was using the card. the card never left my wallet.

That's probably because they had a duplicate of your card.

You should be careful what stores or vendors you've used it previously because the fraudulent card machine doesn't just ring your purchase up, but also grabs your info for duplication. I think there was a huge article about this a while back.

Something like the police busted a Vietnamese gang and uncovered tons of duplicate plastic cards and fraudulent debit/credit card terminals. In fact, what I remember from that article, some retailers or vendors aren't even aware that their credit/debit card terminals have been switched with a fraudulent one.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
^ yeah I'm always sketched out using my card on places where the card machines aren't locked down.

Always sketched out at restaurants where a waiter or waitress gives a person the cordless hand held debit/credit machines.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 12,138 Times in 4,596 Posts
when we were hunting a couple years ago me and my dad went to a sketchy ass gas station near cranbrook in the interior, alot of sketchy shit happened as we were filling up gas, like the attendant hugely concerned with our truck not having plates even though we had our temp papers plastered on the canopy etc.

my dad used his infinite avion to pay for the gas and a few other things, 2 days later my mom phoned us out in the bush saying Visa had phoned and said that 6 macbook pro's were charged on the account and it was automatically denied and the card cancelled

obviously they swiped the card, even though this place didnt even have a digital cash register
Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
If you want, try this in the future. Have 3 credit cards in your wallet with a maximum of $1500 credit on each card. Even if some guy duplicate one of your card, they can only spend within that amount. This method helps me.

A while back, a person have the exact same name as my mom... the creditor called and asked "Can i speak with ***" and i thought ok this person is just looking for my mom nothing to worry about and i told the creditor my mom is not home.. ever since that day, the CC forced my mom to repay the $7000.00 someone else borrowed (we hired a lawyer and fought it).. and it seriously fucked up her credit.

Last edited by Bahhbeehhaaaa; 06-22-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Unfortunately if they say it was a pin confirmed transaction you're going to have a real tough time arguing this. Banks are currently of the belief that chips can't be duplicated. To the banks, the fact that it was a pin transaction meant that either your chip card was stolen and used or your chip card was duplicated or you made the purchase. Since your card wasn't stolen and they firmly believe chip cards can't be duplicated, they've concluded it's a legit purchase.
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Yep, +1 to the reference to the card duplication. I've had a friend manage a booster juice one night while multiple people entered, with each person distracting a separate employee and having the last person completely replace their debit/credit machine right under their nose. They only found this out days later when they reviewed the security cameras. And even when I use to work retail at metrotown we would securely lock down all of our debit/credit machines, and even in places where they don't have such locks for these machines, they would put stickers where half of it is on the machine and the other half is attached to the units that supports it so I guess if the machine were ever taken off and replaced even with a duplicate the sticker would look like it's ripped in half.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I'm beginning to see that these chip systems are more or less security for credit card companies to be able to say; "the only way your card can be compromised is if you give someone your password."
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Ubereem Mod

My only question is - Why did you not follow up about this fraud.

1 Year? 99% of the population would of followed up within 1-2 weeks at the latest.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
there r ways to fool cc machines so u end up signing and not have to enter pin.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
He's rich, 7k isn't a big deal to him.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #17
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,131 Posts
Call yoru CC company right away. Is strange coz usually CC company will contact you after a fraud report. I would also contact the police if I were so you can open a file with them as well.

Happen to me once and my CC company call me at like 12lish and ask if I was making purchase lol. I was at home so they cancel the card and give me a new one.

Just last night I want to order some tickets off ticket master and it got deny. I phone my CC and it seems I enter the wrong Security number so they froze my card.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #18

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
I've read somewhere that as long as you cover up ur PIN, there is no way to make a dup.
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #19
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I had my debit card duplicated and all the money was taken out of my chequing account. Called the bank, money was returned to my account the next day. Scary though.
91LS-VTak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
you waited a whole year??

wouldnt it show on your statements?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,681 Times in 506 Posts
Hey probably waited a whole year because the bank company said that they would call back. Not knowing that it would take a year to call back. Everything should be ok. Right? If its something serious, wouldnt they take less than a year to get back to you? Knowing me.. I probably put all my hopes into the bank company and hope they know what their doing. For sure they know more stuff than me. I never knew that people can frad ur card and get you pin.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
If someone stole 7k from me, you better believe I would be calling back if I havent heard back from them in a week.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Never heard anything back from them. Fast forward 1 year I get a collections letter for the 7000 dollars?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #24

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:

As other people have mentioned in this thread, Chip and Pin is secure, secure enough that they know when your trying to fool them.
I have worked high-end retail before, So I have seen many things, and many attempts.

There are several methods of processing a Chip Card transaction.
In Person
1, Swiping the card, and the terminal asks you to insert Chip to proceed, You insert chip, it asks you for PIN and you enter your PIN. (this is a PIN transaction)
2, "" "" insert Chip, it says Error, try again, it says Error Again, then the terminal defaults and asks you to just swipe the Mag stripe. Receipt prints out, and you need to Sign it. (this is Chip/Mag transaction)
3, Swipe the card, and you Sign it. (Swiped transaction) Mostly in hotels/ Car rentals and some gas stations or places who do not have a Chip / PIN terminal
In Person or Over the phone
4, Manual entry, They enter in the numbers 1 by 1, then expiry, and then most likely the CVN 3 digits on the back. Or not. ( manual transaction with or w/o CVN )

So the bank already knows How the transaction was done the second it was purchased, and scenario #1, is the only surefire way to know that the card in your wallet was present during the purchase, and your PIN was used. So you either did the transaction and forgot you did, someone took your card or wallet and returned it without you knowing, aswell as knowing your PIN.
Any other scenario i mentioned is flawed and they cannot hold you liable.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,489 Times in 485 Posts
I'm going threw the process right now. I have a card with a 10k limit, that I never use. I got my cc bill 2 weeks ago and there was $3200 spent at an Apple store in Luxemborough over 3 days. What pissed me off most is that the card company didn't catch it. Once I called them to dispute the charges it was sent to the fraud department, the card was cancelled and within 6 days the charges were gone BUT I just got a letter in the mail that I needed to sign confirming I hadn't made the purchases. I'll keep my eye on it, hopefully it all goes away
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote