REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   McDonald's sued over hot coffee spill by Surrey woman (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669955-mcdonalds-sued-over-hot-coffee-spill-surrey-woman.html)

iKayChow 06-22-2012 08:00 PM

McDonald's sued over hot coffee spill by Surrey woman

And I thought this only happens in the U.S lol

McDonald's sued over hot coffee spill by Surrey woman - British Columbia - CBC News

A woman from Surrey, B.C., is suing the McDonald's restaurant chain after she was allegedly burned by a cup of hot coffee that spilled onto her lap at a drive-thru.

In a claim filed in B.C. Supreme Court, Nansy Saad says her life changed on Nov. 1, 2011, when she stopped to get a coffee at the McDonald's on the King George Highway.

As the cashier passed the hot drink to her, the lid popped off and the coffee ended up on her lap.

Saad says she suffered burns to the lower part of her body, including her thighs, abdomen and genitals.

Eight months later she is in pain and has post-traumatic stress disorder and a form of mental illness concerning body image, she claims.

Saad alleges the fast food restaurant and its employee were negligent; failing among other things to put the lid on the coffee and to make sure she had a safe way to consume their product.

She's seeking compensation to cover her suffering, loss of income, earning capacity and health-care costs.

McDonald's has been named in similar lawsuits over the years. One high-profile case involved an elderly woman in the early '90s who eventually settled for an undisclosed amount. In March of this year two separate claims were filed in the Chicago area.

GGnoRE 06-22-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKayChow (Post 7955746)
Saad says she suffered burns to the lower part of her body, including her thighs, abdomen and genitals.

:lawl:

Culture_Vulture 06-22-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKayChow (Post 7955746)
Eight months later she is in pain and has post-traumatic stress disorder and a form of mental illness concerning body image, she claims.

Saad alleges the fast food restaurant and its employee were negligent; failing among other things to put the lid on the coffee and to make sure she had a safe way to consume their product.

:rukidding: I hope she gets run over by a McDonald's delivery truck tomorrow

CorneringArtist 06-22-2012 08:09 PM

That might not fly here. In the States you can sue anyone for anything, like the one guy who sued God just to prove he could. At best it's a very small settlement in Canada.

tiger_handheld 06-22-2012 08:09 PM

/women drivers.

BossFrancis 06-22-2012 08:18 PM

Hardly think she'll win, one of my teachers ate a burger with an employee's blood on it and he tried to fight it. They had meetings with the opposing lawyers and they never attended which tired them out. Turns out he didn't get any diseases from it but had to do weekly blood tests so he was offered a free meal LOL.

striderblade 06-22-2012 08:22 PM

Mcdonald coffee lid suck fucking ass. Always leak on the edge when i drink their coffee. Even if the lid is fully shut and everytime i make a turn while driving there will be coffee all over my cup holder.

StylinRed 06-22-2012 08:26 PM

the difference with the mcdonalds coffee case in the US and this one is that the US Coffee case was due to the coffees temperature being too hot a case about :fulloffuck: but she was severely burned someone posted pics in the nsfw thread

this surrey case is because the employee spilled it on her with a faulty/badly attached lid a case about negligence and a woman who was supposedly severely burned

dinosaur 06-22-2012 08:30 PM

^ yeah, i agree. it isnt about the product...it is about them failing to adhere the "safety" mechanism to prevent injury. especially if it popped of and burned her while the worker passed it to her....not after she drove away.

im interested to see how this plays out.

Manic! 06-22-2012 08:35 PM

Google hot coffee lawsuit and click the images tab and tell me you would not have sued. Warning the pics are not work safe.

JesseBlue 06-22-2012 09:16 PM

i zipped up too fast when i was a youngin' but you don't see me suing levis...

RecklessNS 06-22-2012 09:28 PM

I guess you could say that night she got a real hot flash....

:cool:

drunkrussian 06-22-2012 09:36 PM

shawnly1000 06-22-2012 09:37 PM

Greatest example of a frivolous case, on top of that, the plaintiff was a judge.

Judge Sues Dry Cleaners for $65 Million - Law Blog - WSJ

Pearson v. Chung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gridlock 06-22-2012 09:52 PM

http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...2458269656.jpg

PTSD? Really? Buying coffee, was quite literally, your Nam. That's what you are saying.

parm104 06-22-2012 11:08 PM

She will win this case...That is if the events really took place as she puts it. Luckily, McDonalds has cameras that are aimed at the drive-thru windows so they will easily be able to tell if the customer was at fault in any way.

PTSD or not, if a worker is not paying attention to their job and an injury occurs, McDonalds is negligent and their insurance company will take care of the claim.

Unfortunately, drinks get spilled far too often at McDonalds drive-thru windows. I had a lady who completely forgot to put a lid on the cup and tilted the cup of root beer towards my car as she was passing it to me. My car was about a week old lol and all she said was "accidents happen." LOL, she didn't even offer napkins to clean it up, I had to go inside and get them myself afterwards. I had root beer all over my door and the inside of my door, into my speakers and the window controls. A little more care wouldn't be a bad thing for them.

TRDood 06-22-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striderblade (Post 7955780)
Mcdonald coffee lid suck fucking ass. Always leak on the edge when i drink their coffee. Even if the lid is fully shut and everytime i make a turn while driving there will be coffee all over my cup holder.

+1 the lid is poorly designed when aligned with the cup seal. I always have to readjust the lid so that it doesnt spill through the cracks.

xilley 06-22-2012 11:54 PM

some reason i came in the thread thinking its going be an east indian lady

El Bastardo 06-22-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 7956007)

Careful. "Someone" is going to call you racist for assuming that.

parm104 06-23-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 7956011)
Careful. "Someone" is going to call you racist for assuming that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 7956007)

I'm missing the joke here....Why would that be an assumption?

GGnoRE 06-23-2012 12:45 AM

Haha I get 5 fails for :lawl: at the fact that hot coffee burned her genitals.

Next guy gets 5 thanks for hoping she gets run over by a delivery truck tomorrow.

FerrariEnzo 06-23-2012 01:36 AM

the video footage should beable to prove the incident..

If its really true, she deserves to win this case...

cctw 06-23-2012 01:42 AM

^ diff case dude...in the states the lady sued for the fact the coffee was too hot..this time the lady sued cos the lid wasn't put on properly...

parm104 06-23-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cctw (Post 7956090)
^ diff case dude...in the states the lady sued for the fact the coffee was too hot..this time the lady sued cos the lid wasn't put on properly...

I get what you are saying and acknowledge the fact that these are two different events with two different cause/effects. However, it really doesn't matter. In either incident, McDonalds restaurant would be negligent in providing safety for its customers, according to the law that is. Coffee too hot without warning or failure to secure a lid before giving it to a customer are both negligent behaviour. To be clear:

Coffee was ordered
Coffee was delivered through drive-thru window and the lid was not properly secure.
As the coffee was being given to the customer, the lid had fallen off and the coffee had spilt onto the customer.

Now if the coffee was given to the customer and the customer spilled it on herself, then McDonalds is certainly not responsible. But from what it appears in the story, the drive-thru worked @ McDonalds had spilt the coffee on the customer while giving it to her. Whoever ended up doing the spilling, is the one acting negligent.

We're talking about safety and responsibility in the eye of the law. McDonalds has to assume that everyone is dumb and that they don't know that coffee is hot. That's why they started to add warning labels to all their hot beverages because it gives customers warning that there may be a hazard of drinking something that is too hot and to drink at their own risk.

xilley 06-23-2012 02:37 AM

hows it racist.. - - if it was in richmond i wouldve came in the thread thinking its a chinese c-lai