REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
My Challenge To Timpo...

I'm betting I can turn Timpo from a car enthusiast more interested in body kits to convert your Ferrari into a Gundam into someone that is actually able to tune an engine.

And by "tune" I don't mean bolting on a few parts. I mean Timpo would be able to look at an engine, determine all the parts required, build a complete wiring harness from scratch, setup an aftermarket ECU and then dyno tune the ECU/engine for optimum performance.

That is, if Timpo agrees to follow along with my 3 simple steps........
Advertisement
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
I'm betting I can turn Timpo from a car enthusiast more interested in body kits to convert your Ferrari into a Gundam into someone that is actually able to tune an engine.

And by "tune" I don't mean bolting on a few parts. I mean Timpo would be able to look at an engine, determine all the parts required, build a complete wiring harness from scratch, setup an aftermarket ECU and then dyno tune the ECU/engine for optimum performance.

That is, if Timpo agrees to follow along with my 3 simple steps........
dafuq?
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
hes still banned, fool
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

Well, shows how much I'm up on current events on RS. In that case substitute "Timpo" with "someone who knows dick all about tuning".
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
My Challenge To dangonay...

I'm betting I can turn dangonay from a car enthusiast more interested in body kits to convert your Ferrari into a Gundam into someone that is actually able to tune an engine.

And by "tune" Idon't mean bolting on a few parts. I mean dangonay would be able to look at an engine, determine all the parts required, build a complete wiring harness from scratch, setup an aftermarket ECU and then dyno tune the ECU/engine for optimum performance.

That is, if dangonay agrees to follow along with my 3 simple steps........
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I like the direction of this thread..

unban Timpo, I want to see where this is going..
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
what the fuck did you just say here?
Old 06-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
what are the three simple steps.....?
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
1. Collect underpants
2. ???
3. Profit!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

1. Bendover
2. Lube
3. Latex gloves
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I like the direction of this thread..

unban Timpo, I want to see where this is going..
If I posted a poll and asked which person on RS knew the least about automotive technology, I'm sure the overwhelming response would be "Timpo". So why not use that as an advantage and state "If I could teach Timpo than I could teach anyone".

My mistake for not knowing he was banned - I didn't realize RS would ban someone for poor taste. However, it appears there are a few others with the qualifications to take his place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
what the fuck did you just say here?
I thought it was quite obvious - that I could take someone who knew nothing about tuning and actually teach them to tune.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
timpos banned? wth why
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #15

Short version: I am going to take everything I know about fuel injection, engine performance and tuning and make it available online in a sequential group of "lessons" that someone with little to no knowledge would be able to read and at the end would be competent enough to build and tune their own engine. And this information will be available free of charge.

Long version when I get back in front of a PC.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I thought EB unbanned everyone during a chat session a couple weeks ago..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
I unbanned everyone who was banned from chat, not from Revscene itself.

I'd never unban some of the people who were rightfully banned
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #18

Long version....

Several years ago some friends (whose cars I had done a significant amount of work on over the years) suggested I write a book on how to tune & modify vehicles. I replied that there were a lot of books available and I probably wouldn't have anything to add that wasn't already covered. My one friend laughed and asked if I had actually read any of them recently - I hadn't. Well, he had and he was of the opinion they weren't very useful at all and left the reader with just as many questions as they had before they read the book. When he wanted an answer to something he would call me as he thought I was able to explain things much better than what he could find in any book.

So he gave me his books to read (I won't name them since I don't want to slander any company on RS) and I discovered he was right - they were terrible. I thought he might have simply purchased a poorly written book and so I searched for reviews on similar books and ordered two more "top-rated" ones from Amazon. They weren't much better. I'm sure to a person who didn't know much they would seem as if they provided a wealth of information. They might even appear "daunting". The reality is they have huge gaps in their information to the point you'd have to purchase half-a-dozen just to make sure every topic is covered properly.

It occurred to me that there could be a market for a "fuel injection bible" that had all the information you could possibly want in a single book. I then started writing and compiling information with the intention of turning it into a book. And writing and writing and writing. I then did some research on getting published and came to the unfortunate conclusion it would be difficult (read expensive) to get published. And with a book like this which has a very limited target audience, the expenses to get published could outweigh any possible money I might make. Too risky for my blood. I then looked at other possible ways to get this information out there from PDF files to e-books to iBooks or even a web site. After weighing all the options I decided to do something really simple and create a blog.

So my plan is to create a new blog post every week (or so) and this blog post would basically be a "lesson". The initial "lessons" would discuss the most basic of topics as I'm going to assume the reader knows nothing at all about automotive technology. However, the lessons will progress to cover more complex topics such that by the time I'm finished the reader should (I hope) have an excellent understanding of fuel injection systems and engine tuning.

Now to the people who PM'd me while I was composing this, there is no actual "challenge" nor am I going to "pick" who will get access to this information. I only used Timpo as an example to get people's attention. This blog will be available 100% free to anyone who wants to read it. The only requirement is patience - if I break down everything I've written over the years and divided it up into manageable pieces it will take a year (or more) at one lesson per week to cover it all. I'm hoping that each lesson will be interesting (and engaging enough) to make people want to keep coming back wee after week to learn more.

I also expect this blog to be polarizing. I can see a lot of people getting pissed with me publishing this information online - people who sell books on tuning, people who charge money for tuning courses or even tuners themselves who might see me the same as magicians see people who publish their "secrets". On the other side there will be people who are learning something useful and will be happy I've provided this information to them. As I've posted on RS many times before, I've always been one to share information with customers which is something that's not common in the automotive field. People who have their little "bag of tricks" always seem to want to keep them to themselves for fear they'll lose a competitive advantage over the next guy. To me this blog will be the ultimate extension to the idea of sharing with your customers.

So what are some of the things you'll learn?
  • Basic Electricity & Understanding Circuits
  • Basic Electronics
  • Advanced Electronics & Circuits Related To Fuel Injection
  • Printed Circuit Board Design
  • Microcontrollers & Programming Examples
  • Wiring Harness Design & Construction
  • ECU Construction & Operation
  • Sensors Used in Fuel Injection Systems
  • Physics of Engine Operation
  • Chemistry of Combustion
  • Data Acquisition
  • Dyno Tuning Methods
  • Math, Math & more Math

Don't let some of the titles scare you. Remember that even the world's best tuners started out knowing nothing at all about tuning. They had to start from scratch, which is what we'll also be doing.

My daughter (who is 9) is learning to program microcontrollers and is already building simple circuits. My wife (who is my first "student") is knowledgeable enough about tuning to embarass a lot of mechanics. If she can learn this stuff, so can Timpo and so can you.

My blog (with the first lesson) should be up in a few days as I'm just putting on the finishing touches. When it goes live, I'll post up the address and will welcome your feedback.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #19

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
I thought it was quite obvious - that I could take someone who knew nothing about tuning and actually teach them to tune.
that sentence just sounds like you slapped words together.... makes no sense at all...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
that sentence just sounds like you slapped words together.... makes no sense at all...
I find it to be a logical and clearly constructed sentence. In fact, dangonay stands out in my mind as being among the most fluent writers on RS.

I very much look forward to reading this blog, dangonay.

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-24-2012 at 10:57 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #21
I'm being watched.

Can't wait for the blog dangonay! I needed something like this
essel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I actually look forward to the blog. Will give me some interesting reading material between studying for classes this year, and it will be something I can actually put to use for when I hopefully by my own vehicle next summer! I know the most of basics, but learning to do a lot of repair/tuning myself is gonna save me a lot of money which could be going toward school.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #23
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I find it to be a logical and clearly constructed sentence. In fact, dangonay stands out in my mind as being among the most fluent writers on RS.

I very much look forward to reading this blog, dangonay.
^ i'm with mindbomber. if you can write such a well constructed story as to your reasoning behind all this, i can't wait to see some of those lessons. i know jack all about electrical stuff, so that's going to prove useful i'm sure, i've needed a lot of help with electrical stuff on my car in the past. power to you man, can't wait to see it
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #24

I'm interested in this lesson. Should help me learn more about my car. But first I need to learn how to jack up my car. Haha
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
If you're good at something, never do it for free.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: