REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I want to train in boxing/martial arts

Hey guys,

So I am interested in pursuing a form of martial arts, whether it be kickboxing, traditional boxing, even greco roman wrestling, but I have a quick question.

I took buto-kukan as a child and I always disliked the 'ritualistic' form of training, ex: addressing sensei, bowing, etc. I know this is all 'respect', but I show my respect differently, for example being polite and considerate, or what have you.

I'd like to begin training but I want to skip all these things. I looked into sugar-rays boxing but it seems like they just have an open facility for you to wander around in, and if you want any sort of guidance you have to pay, not to mention they don't allow free passes or drop ins, you just have to slap money down for a 1 year membership if you would like to try it.

Are there any places out there that are casual, friendly, and allow you to train in self defense? I am open to all disciplines, again, I heard of muay thai and various different disciplines at Franco's Kickboxing, but that is not the culture I am looking for. Any tips?

Thanks
Advertisement
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
come train at carlson gracie jiu jitsu in burnaby with marcus soares its very laid back and he is the best in town
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
It's actually really much less of a respect thing than more of a tradition of the sport itself. If you speculate at the other traditional martial arts like sanshou, wing chun, muay thai, karate, taekwondo, they all have their own ways of showing etiquette in their training hall. When you take up a class here in north america, much of the values have changed to revolve more around canadian values so you won't be seeing hardcore displays of discipline.

There are dojos in japan that make you sign a pledge when you first join by making you do a blood oath, where you do a cut on your finger and roll the blood off on the paper to show your commitment to the dojo.

Imo, if you are serious about learning a martial art and absorb its history and art form, you really have to do it with traditional martial arts. Nowadays, much of the martial arts academies have really changed their fighting styles to become more of a sport than an artform at all. Take up a traditional martial art with a popular instructor, commit to it for at least a year, and you will see dramatic changes not only to your physical self, but also to your mental and spiritual self outside of the martial art. I might sound a bit biased, (I actually assist in teaching butokukan myself and am a sensei), but ask this of any talented martial artist and they will tell you the same.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 06-27-2012 at 09:02 AM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post

There are dojos in japan that make you sign a pledge when you first join by making you do a blood oath, where you do a cut on your finger and roll the blood off on the paper to show your commitment to the dojo.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Treasure Chest MOD

^i kid you not.

This is just one example, otake risuke of bujutsu demands his students to do this for acceptance as a student of his teaching

@ 7:00

@ 3:40

Otake Risuke isn't the only one who demands of this, there are many other dojos that require this

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
I LOVE SQWAT

Lol I've had papercuts draw more blood.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Treasure Chest MOD

^well yeah true, but it's still much different to intentionally cut yourself so that you can sign a pledge

Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Dynamic Mixed Martial Arts

you can train kickboxing, bjj, and wrestling. instructors are really back and friendly while providing great instructions for technique. prefer dynamic over francos.

plus you get a free week to try it out.
therubberguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
G
Banned (BBM)

You have to be pretty flexible for kickboxing and jiu jitsu right? Would these places usually train you in that over time and stuff? or is it sort of a do-it-at-home deal?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
You have to be pretty flexible for kickboxing and jiu jitsu right? Would these places usually train you in that over time and stuff? or is it sort of a do-it-at-home deal?
for both sports, being flexible would help, but unless your training to compete, your just going to train to learn technique and have fun, doesnt matter how flexible you are. if you wanna be more flexible, just work on stretches at home, but best option would be just going to the gym and doing the classes cause the instructors will guide and motivate you.
therubberguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Do you guys have any recommendations for boxing gyms too? Is Sugar Rays a good one?
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
TKO mod

I train at Franco's aka FKPMMA (FKP MMA Vancouver | Top Mixed Martial Arts Training Gym in Vancouver, BC)

I also teach there once in awhile!

Let me know if you want to come by & I will hook u up with a free class just to try out one of our programs

Here are the classes: Kickboxing, MMA, Cardio Kickboxing , Boxing, & even Yoga!

Holler!
JoshiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
train UFC dude, its on youtube and its free.
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Do you guys have any recommendations for boxing gyms too? Is Sugar Rays a good one?
go to port kells boxing
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote