REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   City Bylaw Tickets (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670142-city-bylaw-tickets.html)

AW607 06-26-2012 07:32 PM

City Bylaw Tickets

I recently got a bylaw violation ticket from the City of Richmond. I parked my car by one of those 'no stopping' signs because there was not enough space behind me (literally right beside it, half of my car was behind the designated zone :derp: ), but I was only leaving my car for a short amount of time so I didn't think much of it. But lo and behold upon my return, I see a ticket on my windshield.

I've never gotten one of these from the city, and I don't want to dispute it because I knew what I did was silly, but what happens if I don't pay for it ever (even though I probably will; it's only $45 ) ?

Shorn 06-26-2012 07:45 PM

iirc if you pay within 14 days you get a discount i think 25% or 50%.

after 14 days you pay 100%.

after 1 month you pay 150%.

and if you don't pay it gets sent to collections. whether it affects your credit or not is up for discussion..

Quote:

even though I probably will; it's only $45
then why are you making this thread?? :fulloffuck:
people asking 'what happens if i don't pay tickets that i know i deserved' :facepalm:

Fafine 06-26-2012 07:47 PM

if you dont pay it gets sent to collection
and comes time to renew your insurance or license, you'll have to pay it lol

vafanculo 06-26-2012 07:50 PM

Same thing happened to me. Was over the yellow paint on the curb by no more than 12 inches because the jerk behind me took up way more than his share of the curb.

I paid it. Not entirely sure what happens, but my rule of life is never to mess around with city/ governmental tickets, but screw over private parking companies instead lol.

AW607 06-26-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 7959735)
people asking 'what happens if i don't pay tickets that i know i deserved' :facepalm:

Haha I just wanted to know, just for being knowledgeable. The ticket never said anything about it, and I tried to look for the answer on the city's website but I didn't get anything either :suspicious:

Shorn 06-26-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AW607 (Post 7959750)
Haha I just wanted to know, just for being knowledgeable. The ticket never said anything about it, and I tried to look for the answer on the city's website but I didn't get anything either :suspicious:

Paying your ticket - Parking enforcement - Engineering Services - City of Vancouver

AW607 06-26-2012 08:03 PM

It was in Richmond, and I suppose it's not as strict as Vancouver's.

The price of my ticket is $45, but if left unpaid after July 22nd, it ups to $70.. It doesn't have any incremental increases like Vancouver's

Shorn 06-26-2012 08:07 PM

whoops. my bad.
just generalizing here but i do notice richmond meter maids being much quicker to ticket you than vancouver.

hchang 06-26-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 7959747)
I paid it. Not entirely sure what happens, but my rule of life is never to mess around with city/ governmental tickets, but screw over private parking companies instead lol.

This.

I wouldn't try messing with any tickets from the government.

Got one from City of Burnaby back in February, paid it right away and got a discount.

Edison_Chen 06-26-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafine (Post 7959737)
if you dont pay it gets sent to collection
and comes time to renew your insurance or license, you'll have to pay it lol

City by-law tickets don't get sent to ICBC.

Acuracura 07-09-2012 03:07 PM

Not sure about Richmond Bylaws, but I do know in Vancouver they have issued arrest warrants for unpaid traffic tickets.

dlu 10-15-2012 11:13 PM

I recently got a bylaw ticket in vancouver (bylaw 2849, sect. 17.6E) stating that I parked in a spot longer than the period of time that was indicated on the sign (2 hours).

I think this ticket is completely unjustified since I moved my car to go grab some food and then came back to the same street, but just a few spots away from my original spot. I was wondering if doing this would give me an additional 2 hours or would parking in the same street, but in a different spot still be considered as part of the same 2 hours.

I really want to dispute this ticket as I think i have a valid reason, but I want to see if I have a case for me first because if i lose, i have to pay the full amount plus a $25 admin fee.

Eff-1 10-16-2012 09:39 AM

It's part of the same 2 hours. There is a bylaw that says you can't move your car but still park on the same block with the intent of avoiding the time limit.

snails 10-16-2012 09:55 AM

they chalk the tread of your tires in the case of time permitted parking spots, i just rolled my car back or froward to cover the chalk mark :fullofwin:

wing_woo 10-16-2012 11:50 AM

Some places now, they electronically store your plate or something instead of using chalk.

FerrariEnzo 10-16-2012 02:10 PM

NEVER owe any city by-law tickets... thats all I gotta say...

FerrariEnzo 10-16-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8056394)
It's part of the same 2 hours. There is a bylaw that says you can't move your car but still park on the same block with the intent of avoiding the time limit.

what if they mark the top part of the tire and theres no room for you to roll :troll::okay:

PUPPY 10-16-2012 03:36 PM

got a ticket just now for leaving the car a couple meters and grab something. was not even gone for 30 seconds and when I came back the guy already printed out the ticket. I wouldn't accept the ticket because its completely unjustifiable to camp there and do that. he left the ticket on my dashboard and told me to dispute it. do I have a case here or do I just pay the $35 ?
Posted via RS Mobile

CRS 10-16-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUPPY (Post 8056680)
got a ticket just now for leaving the car a couple meters and grab something. was not even gone for 30 seconds and when I came back the guy already printed out the ticket. I wouldn't accept the ticket because its completely unjustifiable to camp there and do that. he left the ticket on my dashboard and told me to dispute it. do I have a case here or do I just pay the $35 ?
Posted via RS Mobile

You don't have a case.

Your car was parked without paying. It doesn't matter how short of a time you left for, if you didn't pay to park there, the ticket is completely valid.

It sucks but there is nothing to dispute.

Fafine 10-16-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUPPY (Post 8056680)
Posted via RS Mobile

what case?

Sango 10-16-2012 06:13 PM

Just to add on top of the chalk check; one could potentially get in bigger trouble if the officer catches one in the act of removing the marked chalk off their vehicle from what I have heard.

broken_arrow 10-16-2012 07:48 PM

In Toronto, every time I got a parking ticket, I would just take in to fight it. Every time you bring it in, they say it will take them 6 to 12 months for a court date notification to be sent. It never ends up coming.:troll:

racerman88 10-16-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken_arrow (Post 8056925)
In Toronto, every time I got a parking ticket, I would just take in to fight it. Every time you bring it in, they say it will take them 6 to 12 months for a court date notification to be sent. It never ends up coming.:troll:

That won't work here b/c Vancouver uses the adjudication system to deal with bylaw tickets.

broken_arrow 10-16-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 8056982)
That won't work here b/c Vancouver uses the adjudication system to deal with bylaw tickets.

Yea, I was told before I moved here... Thats why I'm paranoid about parking here.

InvisibleSoul 10-17-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sango (Post 8056824)
Just to add on top of the chalk check; one could potentially get in bigger trouble if the officer catches one in the act of removing the marked chalk off their vehicle from what I have heard.

I'm calling this one out. I have trouble believing it.