REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
How I Mod your mother

Costco interview

Hey guiz,

So I've been applying for summer jobs and I got a call from costco to work in their "majors" department (?)

Apparently I'd be selling laptops, tvs, cameras etc. I've never had an interview for a sales type of job.

Anyone ever worked in this department at costco? What type of questions/interview atmosphere can I expect?
Advertisement
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Which costco is it if u dont mind me asking?

The ones that ive had interviews at tend to be quite formal in that they have the whole set up thing going. They have a series of interviews, like 3 i think... But if you pass the first one your chances of getting hired goes up by like 75%
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
How I Mod your mother

It's the one closest to sfu burnaby.
What do you mean by set up thing? Almost like role playing?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 06-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i use to work costco as a seasonal a few years back but only at front end. my friend did have a interview for majors and he did say there were a few basic questions about tv's (eg. difference between 720p and 1080p), a few computer knowledge questions etc. id assume its to see whether u have at least some knowledge in the stuff ur selling. as well, theres a few situational questions ull have to answer. ull probably be interviewed by 2 separate managers in the same day too.

good luck with the job. the extra $4 an hr u get paid on sundays is kinda nice.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
How I Mod your mother

Thanks Jer3, I really need a summer job. It sucks having to sit inside all day cause I cant afford to go out lol
Quote:
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

i did an interview for them i think 2 or 3 years back for the summer as well

i got thrown a lot of typical bullshit questions ie
Can you communicate well? Give us an example
What would you do in this type of workplace situation etc

i just treated it like i was talking to a friend. work on your story telling as thats what half the interview is about

remember each story has a villain, some suspense, a climax, and the conclusion (thats what you learned from the story, what u wouldve done differently etc)

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Treasure Chest MOD

Yeah, I really hate how they asked me a series of questions that were basically repeats. And the thing is, the managers themselves know they are repeats but its protocol for them to ask those questions anyway. So like what trancehead said, think up of as many stories as you can where you had challenges, and think of a way to create a story out of how you overcame those challenges... That's really what the whole interview boiled down to... Really tedious and really ambiguous questions...

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
How I Mod your mother

Yeah I didn't really feel like the questions would help them much, but I feel that just me and the interviewer sitting down together and talking was more beneficial than the actual questions they asked. That being said, she told me she really enjoyed the interview and I have to go in Saturday for a second one. I hope the second isn't as lengthy
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
Yeah I didn't really feel like the questions would help them much, but I feel that just me and the interviewer sitting down together and talking was more beneficial than the actual questions they asked. That being said, she told me she really enjoyed the interview and I have to go in Saturday for a second one. I hope the second isn't as lengthy
my mom used to work for costco. The second interview usually hire you..they just want to test you on time and arrival and devotion and usually the second in charge wants to see your potential
mercyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Treasure Chest MOD

^ +1, ur basically hired. second one is just to get to know you and introducing you more to the job

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
How I Mod your mother

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I got the job. My second interview was all of 10 mins and it went well.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Don't mean to thread jack, but is it true that you apply in person rather than online?
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
How I Mod your mother

I applied online and in person. However the one I applied online for was never hiring in the first place.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
How I Mod your mother

Do you guys know if they do reference checks BEFORE calling you after the second interview?

Im wondering if I should follow up because the manager that interviewed me the second time said I would hear from them that same day or the next day.
Quote:
Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
i dont know about the interview part, but i know it never hurts to follow up. Hopefully you remembered one of their names and just call say you wanted to see how you did on the interview and if you didnt get it ask why you didn't sort of thing.

Thats what i would, but im sure someone with more experience will chime in.
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote