REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I do NOT want liquor sold at convenience and grocery stores. Not one little bit.
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I do NOT want liquor sold at convenience and grocery stores. Not one little bit.
already happened. There is a gas station just outside Nanaimo that has a separate section that sells liquor. It's the only one I know of.

I have 7 liquor stores within a 5 km drive from were I live in Nanaimo.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Liquor agency stores (Grocery/convenience stores with the license to sell liquor) have been around for years, they're normal in rural towns. I go to the one in Cowichan Bay all the time.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^Yup, we had one in Bridge Lake back in the day - little corner of the store that had the "BC Liquor" sign and various bottles of stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #55
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Liquor agency stores (Grocery/convenience stores with the license to sell liquor) have been around for years, they're normal in rural towns. I go to the one in Cowichan Bay all the time.
This is not like that from what I understand.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #56
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
they have them in harrison and mission/agassiz area right now and they have goverment pricing.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #57
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Of course they have government pricing, they're government liquor stores.

Great68, Soundy, and possibly Manic are referring to Rural Agency Stores. RAS's operate where an independent government store is not feasible. There is a significant distinction between a RAS in Bridge Lake acting as the sole liquor supplier in an area, and the 711 in Newton selling single tall boys of Budweiser.

I'm with Gridlock on this one. I'm quite happy having liquor sold in liquor stores exclusively, and it's not like that's inconvenient, I have five within a five minute drive of my current address, and at my previous address which was a bit further out, six within a ten minute drive.

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-03-2012 at 08:11 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #58
Banned By Establishment

Yeah, I'm talking about US style, booze at every corner store. I don't think we need to promote casual drinking in the 7-11 parking lots. They are bad enough as it is.

That is one of the few areas where I like to have limited access. Feel free to drink, and feel free to buy booze, but you can plan ahead a little bit to buy in advance.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #59
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
I heard yesterday this has been squashed btw, we keep our cheap booze!
Posted via RS Mobile
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
I heard yesterday this has been squashed btw, we keep our cheap booze!
Posted via RS Mobile
If you think our booze is cheap you have never traveled outside Canada.
Posted via RS Mobile
lospollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Yeah, I'm talking about US style, booze at every corner store. I don't think we need to promote casual drinking in the 7-11 parking lots. They are bad enough as it is.

That is one of the few areas where I like to have limited access. Feel free to drink, and feel free to buy booze, but you can plan ahead a little bit to buy in advance.
So you're restricting the rights of responsible people because of a few irresponsible ones?

As long as people aren't causing a disturbance, littering, or getting into their cars after a few, I really don't care about "casual drinking" anywhere. I'm of the mindset that if I'm not bothering anyone, don't fucking tell me what to do.

I was surprised that you can buy Beer & Wine at cornerstores in Montreal when I went to the F1 race. What surprised me even more was that you could take all the liquor you wanted to the track. People were bringing in coolers full of booze. By Saturday I caught onto this, and my wife and I loaded up our backpacks. It sure beat paying $6 for Bud Light pisswater they sold at the track.

The kicker is out of the 200,000 people who were at the track those days, no one got out of hand.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #62
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
So you're restricting the rights of responsible people because of a few irresponsible ones?
Buying/selling alcohol is not a right.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Buying/selling alcohol is not a right.
Says you?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #64
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lospollos View Post
If you think our booze is cheap you have never traveled outside Canada.
Posted via RS Mobile
or outside bc for that matter.

TO gets airmiles on booze ..(when i use to be thr, not sure if still...)
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #65
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

Why do you want to be able to purchase liquor at convenience stores?

The only issue I somewhat have with the current system, it would be nice if private stores were open until 1am. Other than that, I rarely find myself more than five minutes from a liquor store.
For shear convenience.
I don't drive any more. I live and work in downtown.
I don't keep alcohol at home. If its there, I will drink it. Alcohol is addicted to me.

At times, I feel like a bottle of Red late at night. Which oddly enough, happens often.

Was in LA for work for a few months. Loved heading to a 7-11 late at night. Picking up a $7.00 bottle of wine. Their $7.00 wines are better than our crappy 20 dollar bottles here.
Same thing in Asia.. How is it that Asia has cheaper wine than Canada? lol
Don't answer, I know the answer to my question.

And no, I don't see drunks at corner gas stations in the states and asia.
In Vancouver though, I do see plenty of drunks sniffing glue, plenty of pot heads on Robson every day, meth users everywhere, oh and even seen people drinking mouthwash to get high or drunk.
SlySi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #66
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

As long as people aren't causing a disturbance, littering, or getting into their cars after a few, I really don't care about "casual drinking" anywhere. I'm of the mindset that if I'm not bothering anyone, don't fucking tell me what to do.

I was surprised that you can buy Beer & Wine at cornerstores in Montreal when I went to the F1 race. What surprised me even more was that you could take all the liquor you wanted to the track. People were bringing in coolers full of booze. By Saturday I caught onto this, and my wife and I loaded up our backpacks. It sure beat paying $6 for Bud Light pisswater they sold at the track.

The kicker is out of the 200,000 people who were at the track those days, no one got out of hand.
Hey, I'm with you. I think we have more than enough law and regulation, and if you want to bring in a new one, you should have to take out an old one.

I see no need for booze to be sold at corner stores. It's not a matter of restricting you in terms of freedom, I just don't see the pluses outweighing the minuses.

It's a simple matter that I feel it keeps the burden of sales of alcohol to those that are trained and responsible for it(ie. gov't branch, with exceptions for limited private cold beer and wine stores) and let those that specialize in fruits and veggies sell our food, and those that specialize in over-priced chips and crackers sell them at 7-11.

If we had it, I wouldn't advocate to remove it, as that restricts a freedom, but we don't have it, so as any law and regulation you need to look at what the change will accomplish, and what the drawbacks will be. I don't think it meets that measure.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #67
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlySi View Post
For........................... Alcohol is addicted to me.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote