REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Disputing ticket

Hi I'm kinda new here but just wanted to ask you guys about the process of disputing a ticket. I received my court summons after a year I disputed a ticket. This ticket was for a rolling stop. I've disputed a ticket for speeding down marine however the cop showed up to court. I understand how if the cop fails to show up for court, my ticket get revoked. Unfortunately that day he showed up and I had to pay the fine. After searching online, its recommend that I change my court date to something that suits me. The likelihood of him showing up is less because the date shown on my court summons is a time that he's more flexible with. Is that a good idea or should I prepare otherwise? Anyways hope you guys can help me with me situation.

Thanks in advanced!
Advertisement
Deviatorz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
.... Police Forum.

Edit: So I'm not a huge dick.. your correct, change the date, because the first date given to you is the Cops Choice.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
.... Police Forum.

Edit: So I'm not a huge dick.. your correct, change the date, because the first date given to you is the Cops Choice.
Ooops sorry. Hope a mod can move. If they do this is for vancouver.

Great I'll change it then. Is that the best I can do in my situation? Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

That is what it seems like.

/thread
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Sounds like these tickets are justified and you're just trying to get out of paying them after breaking the law?

I suggest you pony up the cash and pay the damn fines.

Quasi loves men
Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Sounds like these tickets are justified and you're just trying to get out of paying them after breaking the law?

Everyone pay enough for every thing even you can agree

Its always worth a dispute for one to keep a good record and 2 to not have to pay anymore
Money to the goverment

And it omly seems that cops will nail anyone with. A nice car for a story at the water cooler later
whitewallcavy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
So, instead of paying for your mistakes, you make us, the taxpayer, "pay anymore Money to the goverment(sic)"
Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
So, instead of paying for your mistakes, you make us, the taxpayer, "pay anymore Money to the goverment(sic)"
the judge will make that decision.

OP is just coming to revscene for advice, nothing wrong with that. just like how a child killer would go to his lawyer for advice (lawyers are obviously better)
tseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
The tone of OP's post is that he did something wrong, and his way out of it is for the cop to not show up in court. He has no defense. There are legitimate cases. This one does not seem to be so, and just ties up the system, and wastes resources.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
The tone of OP's post is that he did something wrong, and his way out of it is for the cop to not show up in court. He has no defense. There are legitimate cases. This one does not seem to be so, and just ties up the system, and wastes resources.
I feel that all tickets should be disputed. The only reason I say this is because many many officers do not take proper notation, get lazy with gathering evidence, forgets to follow proper procedure. Disputing the ticket is the only way to see if the officer did his job the way it was meant to be done.

However i do agree that it is a huge waste of resources. But until officers all start doing their jobs correctly its probably going to stay that way forever. And I dont blame the people disputing, its the officers who take short cuts that make the system break.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseman View Post
the judge will make that decision.

OP is just coming to revscene for advice, nothing wrong with that. just like how a child killer would go to his lawyer for advice (lawyers are obviously better)
advice for what? guilty for rolling a stop? let's not compare apples to oranges here because the child killer would still get a sentence

just pay the ticket, next time follow the law.
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post
advice for what? guilty for rolling a stop? let's not compare apples to oranges here because the child killer would still get a sentence

just pay the ticket, next time follow the law.
like i said, the judge at the courtroom will make that call. not you nor me.

if the OP wishes to stall and reschedule his court day then he has the right to.
Mr.OP when you go to court you can say, i wish to ask for an adjournment so i have time to speak to a lawyer.

or you can reschedule ahead of time by sending in a letter (instructions are on that piece of paper where they tell you time and location).

and once you do get rescheduled and the officer still shows up, then i suggest you plead guilty.

btw tarobbt, people ask for adjournments all the time. even killers get adjournments, but that doesn't mean that they can get away with it.

if someone asks for advice, just give them your opinion that would help them the most. if you don't want to give advice to help, then that's fine but don't tell them that they shouldn't exercise their rights, or that it's wrong to exercise their rights in court.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

IMO its not worth losing a day of work on a gamble. pay your fine. move on. if you can't pay it. stop driving.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

If following the law meant everyone, including the government and politicians, follow the law then I'd happily pay. Unfortunately the world doesn't work like that. People break the law all the time and get away with it, and what's wrong with that? Nothing. I'm simply trying to do to best for myself.

There are so many criminal activities in the city that get unattended all the time. Cops usually do nothing to stop this. Agreed that sometimes its impossible for them tend to, but I assure you not all are. However, I find it funny how they are efficiently pulling people over for traffic violations. Props to cops doing a good job a that.

I live in an apartment. A few years ago we've had a thief come in and break into 17 cars (including mine) and have had things stolen. Fair enough that the police weren't able to catch him on the first try. However the thief manages to come back another 2 more times. Once we (the apartment owners) called right after we notice him. It still takes them forever to show up (go 30mins). They've sent more than 4 cruisers and some dogs after him and yet he was able to escape. My point here is, instead of pulling people over, they should make themselves more available for other things. I'd happily pay my fine if there's a decrease in crime rate, but I don't see that. So no, I'm not please in paying my fine. If the only thing you can reply with is to ask me to pay my fine, then save yourself the time and do something else more productive. Thanks.

P.S Is it necessary to fine civilians heavily in order to teach them a lesson not to endanger public safety? No, I don't agree with that one bit. Fines are another way the government can make revenue. If the fines are a lower, more agreeable amount then I'd be fine. But $180 for a rolling stop where I had clear view + no traffic for a good 200+ meters on all 3 sides is necessarily, then I'll have to dispute. So yes, if I have to pay my $180 (or whatever the amount), I might as well use some of the resources that I'll have to pay for.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:

if the OP wishes to stall and reschedule his court day then he has the right to.
Mr.OP when you go to court you can say, i wish to ask for an adjournment so i have time to speak to a lawyer.

or you can reschedule ahead of time by sending in a letter (instructions are on that piece of paper where they tell you time and location).

and once you do get rescheduled and the officer still shows up, then i suggest you plead guilty.

btw tarobbt, people ask for adjournments all the time. even killers get adjournments, but that doesn't mean that they can get away with it.

if someone asks for advice, just give them your opinion that would help them the most. if you don't want to give advice to help, then that's fine but don't tell them that they shouldn't exercise their rights, or that it's wrong to exercise their rights in court.
Thanks for your reply. Would you suggest the adjournment route or just reschedule?
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

lets not get out of context here. the op is betting on the cop not showing up, that is not a legitimate excuse to get off from the ticket when the op broke the law. if u want advice go hire a lawyer. heck i paid my no front plate ticket with no hassle, but icbc decided to cancel the ticket and reimburse me
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
quick!! everyone get on your high horse!
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #18

i would go to court, and if the cop is there then ask for an adjournment.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i actually went to court for disputing a rolling stop ticket a couple months back. I did in fact stop, so I had my argument ready, but the cop didn't show up.

Really depends on the cop I guess, cause this cop showed up to nail 3 people that didn't buy a bus ticket
Calbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #20

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post

its his right as a canadian to have his day in court - innocent until proven guilty is the cornerstone of a democratic and free state

FYI, you have a case under the canadian charter of freedom and rights to have this case thrown out as you are meant to be tried in a 'reasonable' time, 1 year is proven not to be reasonable

just google it, easy as pie

if that doesn't work, ask to see any evidence to be used against you (your right) - chances are cop's notes will blow

YES this is all BS, but a canadian's rights are his/her rights and what i or anyone else does in court, as long as you are not lying, is fair until they change the rules (which they really should)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #21

Quote:

terrible advice, its SOOOOO easy to get off any kind of traffic ticket, you're just using the uneducated route of 'hope cop don't show' - that's gambling

know your laws, your rules, and what is deemed reasonable when it comes to proving your innocence (or how much cop has to prove your guilt, which is the pressing issue)

i haven't been found guilty ever when i've fought it
Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewallcavy View Post
Everyone pay enough for every thing even you can agree

Its always worth a dispute for one to keep a good record and 2 to not have to pay anymore
Money to the goverment

And it omly seems that cops will nail anyone with. A nice car for a story at the water cooler later
Congrats! You wrote the most intelligence devoid post I have ever seen, quite the achievement on Revscene.

If you're guilty, you should be paying the ticket. Accept fault for your actions, instead of wasting tax payers money.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Congrats! You wrote the most intelligence devoid post I have ever seen, quite the achievement on Revscene.

If you're guilty, you should be paying the ticket. Accept fault for your actions, instead of wasting tax payers money.
innocent until proven guilty

if you want your day in court, you are entitled to it - using your canadian freedoms is not a waste of tax payer money
Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
If a person has a basis to file a dispute, they should be encouraged to take said action.

Deviatorz has no basis to file a dispute and is filing under the hope that the officer is not able to attend. If the officer does attend, he will have no defense to present other than the belief that the law is unjust and therefore not applicable to him, which is completely invalid.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Yes OP that's actually a solution, worked from my experience.