REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Cars electronics shut off while driving (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670533-cars-electronics-shut-off-while-driving.html)

Jer3 07-05-2012 09:05 PM

Cars electronics shut off while driving

I drive a 07 Acura CSX and just about 30 minutes ago as I was pulling into the driveway, I turned left and all my electronics (dash, radio, lights, etc) switched off and I lost throttle. Tried the ignition and didn't work for five minutes. When I opened my door, I noticed my dash was flickering like crazy as well and my needles were flipping up and down a bit.

Eventually, after a few minutes the car starts again but I have a feeling once I drive it a bit, its going to die again.

Any idea what might be the problem? It still has a year on warranty I believe so I'll probably be bringing it into the dealership to get it sorted.

bluejays 07-05-2012 09:16 PM

I had a similar problem the other day except mine started right away after it died. Thought it was the alternator at first, but the car turned over strong right away. I opened the hood and noticed that the positive on the battery was pretty corroded and loose. After I cleaned it up it seemed to run fine, haven't had any problems with it since then.

My buddy who is a tech at honda thinks it might have been the loose and corroded terminal, a shorted battery, or a loose wire that is grounding out on the frame. Haven't had any problems with it since then and it turns over and runs just like normal

77civic1200 07-05-2012 09:17 PM

Sounds like a bad alternator. When you did get it restarted, was it slow to crank?

kwy 07-05-2012 09:19 PM

First off, check your positive battery terminal. Same thing happened to me. Clean off any battery acid build up, tighten it up, check the cables for corrosion. 90% chance that will fix it.

HondaGuy 07-05-2012 09:20 PM

That happened to me before where I would be driving at 60 then suddenly throttle goes down and slowly fully stopped. Car just sits and doesnt start or turn for few mins, then finally starts again.
I dont drive with much music so I cant relate to your electronic issues.

The problem was the ignition wire where the wires has lost contact with the solder connecting point.
Solution was that honda had a recall and replaced for free. Havent had this problem ever since.

However its not a CSX... But that sounds like similar problem.

Good luck bud.

Jer3 07-05-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejays (Post 7968164)
I had a similar problem the other day except mine started right away after it died. Thought it was the alternator at first, but the car turned over strong right away. I opened the hood and noticed that the positive on the battery was pretty corroded and loose. After I cleaned it up it seemed to run fine, haven't had any problems with it since then.

My buddy who is a tech at honda thinks it might have been the loose and corroded terminal, a shorted battery, or a loose wire that is grounding out on the frame. Haven't had any problems with it since then and it turns over and runs just like normal

Thanks for the info. Gonna pop the hood and see whats up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77civic1200 (Post 7968166)
Sounds like a bad alternator. When you did get it restarted, was it slow to crank?

Nope, its like nothing ever happen.

Jer3 07-05-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaGuy (Post 7968169)
That happened to me before where I would be driving at 60 then suddenly throttle goes down and slowly fully stopped. Car just sits and doesnt start or turn for few mins, then finally starts again.
I dont drive with much music so I cant relate to your electronic issues.

The problem was the ignition wire where the wires has lost contact with the solder connecting point.
Solution was that honda had a recall and replaced for free. Havent had this problem ever since.

However its not a CSX... But that sounds like similar problem.

Good luck bud.

Yeah sounds exactly like my problem. I'll probably bring it to the dealership and have them take a look at it. Thanks for the help!

Jer3 07-05-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwy (Post 7968168)
First off, check your positive battery terminal. Same thing happened to me. Clean off any battery acid build up, tighten it up, check the cables for corrosion. 90% chance that will fix it.

Had a lot of battery corrosion (blue crusty stuff) around the positive terminal. Cleaned it up with a toothbrush. Checked all the cables and it seemed to be good. Going to see if the problem comes up tomorrow. Thanks for the responses everyone.

kccham 07-05-2012 11:33 PM

had something very similar happen to me 2 weeks ago. driving and my radio and headlights start flickering (05 TSX). pulled into a parking lot and parked right before it died. got a friend who jumped it for me, drove around for 20-30 mins, dies again...:okay: turns out it was my alternator... hope yours is just the battery:fullofwin:

GLOW 07-06-2012 10:00 AM

i had the same thing happen to me on my old car. felt like i was being abducted by aliens :lawl: turns out bad alternator...

snails 07-06-2012 10:07 AM

try your key ignition, same thing happend, i put a full new ignition and switch in and problem solved :)