REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Jer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,866
Thanked 360 Times in 154 Posts
Cars electronics shut off while driving

I drive a 07 Acura CSX and just about 30 minutes ago as I was pulling into the driveway, I turned left and all my electronics (dash, radio, lights, etc) switched off and I lost throttle. Tried the ignition and didn't work for five minutes. When I opened my door, I noticed my dash was flickering like crazy as well and my needles were flipping up and down a bit.

Eventually, after a few minutes the car starts again but I have a feeling once I drive it a bit, its going to die again.

Any idea what might be the problem? It still has a year on warranty I believe so I'll probably be bringing it into the dealership to get it sorted.
Advertisement
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,325
Thanked 735 Times in 206 Posts
I had a similar problem the other day except mine started right away after it died. Thought it was the alternator at first, but the car turned over strong right away. I opened the hood and noticed that the positive on the battery was pretty corroded and loose. After I cleaned it up it seemed to run fine, haven't had any problems with it since then.

My buddy who is a tech at honda thinks it might have been the loose and corroded terminal, a shorted battery, or a loose wire that is grounding out on the frame. Haven't had any problems with it since then and it turns over and runs just like normal
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS
 
77civic1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: burnaby
Posts: 2,201
Thanked 1,133 Times in 263 Posts
Sounds like a bad alternator. When you did get it restarted, was it slow to crank?
__________________
flickr
77civic1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,397
Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
First off, check your positive battery terminal. Same thing happened to me. Clean off any battery acid build up, tighten it up, check the cables for corrosion. 90% chance that will fix it.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
10psi aint enough...
 
HondaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,065
Thanked 433 Times in 208 Posts
That happened to me before where I would be driving at 60 then suddenly throttle goes down and slowly fully stopped. Car just sits and doesnt start or turn for few mins, then finally starts again.
I dont drive with much music so I cant relate to your electronic issues.

The problem was the ignition wire where the wires has lost contact with the solder connecting point.
Solution was that honda had a recall and replaced for free. Havent had this problem ever since.

However its not a CSX... But that sounds like similar problem.

Good luck bud.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Jer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,866
Thanked 360 Times in 154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I had a similar problem the other day except mine started right away after it died. Thought it was the alternator at first, but the car turned over strong right away. I opened the hood and noticed that the positive on the battery was pretty corroded and loose. After I cleaned it up it seemed to run fine, haven't had any problems with it since then.

My buddy who is a tech at honda thinks it might have been the loose and corroded terminal, a shorted battery, or a loose wire that is grounding out on the frame. Haven't had any problems with it since then and it turns over and runs just like normal
Thanks for the info. Gonna pop the hood and see whats up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77civic1200 View Post
Sounds like a bad alternator. When you did get it restarted, was it slow to crank?
Nope, its like nothing ever happen.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Jer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,866
Thanked 360 Times in 154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
That happened to me before where I would be driving at 60 then suddenly throttle goes down and slowly fully stopped. Car just sits and doesnt start or turn for few mins, then finally starts again.
I dont drive with much music so I cant relate to your electronic issues.

The problem was the ignition wire where the wires has lost contact with the solder connecting point.
Solution was that honda had a recall and replaced for free. Havent had this problem ever since.

However its not a CSX... But that sounds like similar problem.

Good luck bud.
Yeah sounds exactly like my problem. I'll probably bring it to the dealership and have them take a look at it. Thanks for the help!
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Jer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,866
Thanked 360 Times in 154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
First off, check your positive battery terminal. Same thing happened to me. Clean off any battery acid build up, tighten it up, check the cables for corrosion. 90% chance that will fix it.
Had a lot of battery corrosion (blue crusty stuff) around the positive terminal. Cleaned it up with a toothbrush. Checked all the cables and it seemed to be good. Going to see if the problem comes up tomorrow. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS
 
kccham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 61
Thanked 173 Times in 15 Posts
had something very similar happen to me 2 weeks ago. driving and my radio and headlights start flickering (05 TSX). pulled into a parking lot and parked right before it died. got a friend who jumped it for me, drove around for 20-30 mins, dies again... turns out it was my alternator... hope yours is just the battery
kccham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
So I had to give him the three piece with the soda
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,993
Thanked 4,865 Times in 1,953 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me on my old car. felt like i was being abducted by aliens turns out bad alternator...
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy
 
snails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: in a shell
Posts: 2,596
Thanked 6,018 Times in 1,128 Posts
try your key ignition, same thing happend, i put a full new ignition and switch in and problem solved
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net