REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Canadian Food Network Star found dead (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670663-canadian-food-network-star-found-dead.html)

[jsx] sky 07-09-2012 09:37 AM

Canadian Food Network Star found dead

Food Network Canada chef Anthony Sedlak dies | Sympatico.ca TV Guide

Damn, I watched 'The Main' a few times, it was pretty good.
RIP

yogenfruz 07-09-2012 10:25 AM

Same here, it's pretty sad that he was so young and had a future. I watched the Main when it first came out and tried making a few of the things he made, they were :notbad:

dinosaur 07-09-2012 11:44 AM

so young :(

sh0n 07-09-2012 12:59 PM

RIP Anthony Sedlak.

I use to live near him and always see him around when he was opening up the Corner Suite Bistro at Thurlow & Smithe.

That guy changed alot in the last few years.

He went from the babyface chubby look on The Main (good show IMO) to dropping alot of weight, all out tattoo, hipster on a bike look when he was opening up the Corner Suite Bistro.

I feel bad for him for opening up that restaurant too. Him and his investors took what seem forever to open up subsequently to fail 8 months later and selling out to what is now Ensemble (Canada Top Chef Dale Mckay)

freakshow 07-09-2012 01:30 PM

He was my wife's friend. A talented chef, but self-entitled and ungrateful. Find someone else who used to work with him and ask their opinion; I bet it won't be pretty.

When he made it onto the food network, local papers ran a story about him. They contacted many of his old coworkers and bosses, none of them would even give a comment for the article since it would have been negative.

StylinRed 07-09-2012 02:21 PM

^^^ seems like thats how it is for semi-prominent chefs if they reached a bit of fame when they were young they become humble after having a few low moments like restaurants close on them or they've been fired a few times etc

heck thats true for most people let alone chefs; that's usually what holds them back from reaching even greater heights of success

Doubl3_H 07-09-2012 04:30 PM

Holy shit, small world
Use to work with this guy in the same kitchen up on Grouse Mountain. Talented for sure, but total fucking asshole. Would step over anybody just to show himself.

Zoidberg 07-09-2012 05:44 PM

^90% of chefs are like that.

RIP.

pastarocket 07-09-2012 06:46 PM

RIP.

westopher 07-09-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeGusta (Post 7971137)
^90% of chefs are like that.

RIP.

Its unfortunate that you are right, but 90% of them are also terrible at their jobs, and have horrendous alcoholism/drug addiction so you can easily weed out the shitty ones pretty fast. I could never fill up one of the kitchens I ran with any less than 40% complete retards. I have heard many things about this guy, lots kinda shitty, but he was pretty successful, so I can imagine a lot of it being jealousy. Either way, someone died real young so its a shame, and a little eye opening.

ToneCapone 07-10-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Sedlak is believed to have died from an undiagnosed medical condition; the time of death is still being determined.
RIP.

but seriously what is an undiagnosed medical condition? I'd like to know why he died.

Verdasco 07-10-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-ternal-3 (Post 7971515)
RIP.

but seriously what is an undiagnosed medical condition? I'd like to know why he died.

i am sure it has to be something related to medication or alcohol...okay maybe not like heith ledger

Jason00S2000 07-10-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 7971526)
i am sure it has to be something related to medication or alcohol...okay maybe not like heith ledger

Yep, and when local small-time DJs keep dying, they always decline to give a cause. Most likely, prescription drugs + alcohol.

Ilagon 07-10-2012 06:14 PM

I met Anthony Sedlak about a month ago at his new restaurant American Cheesesteak. He was super nice and hooked up a free milkshake. He talked about how he fell in love with the cheesesteak in Philly and wanted to bring it up here. He was also in the middle of filming a new show that was about finding the weirdest food in Canada, kinda like Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman.

RIP.

drunkrussian 07-11-2012 04:27 PM

i too watched the main - i found it quite entertaining, was simple and i had no idea he was local, he had a weird accent. bery interestig to hear about how he was a dick, he was so clean cut on the show. but it is the food network after all. rip

7seven 05-06-2013 08:57 AM

Guess the rumors around town turned out to be true

Quote:

Celebrity chef Anthony Sedlak died of a drug overdose, coroner’s report finds

Celebrity chef Anthony Sedlak died last summer of a drug overdose and not an unexplained illness, according to a coroner’s report released Friday.

Sedlak made a name for himself on Food Network shows, some of which were set against a local backdrop of the North Shore mountains and False Creek. He got his start at 13 as a bus boy at a Grouse Mountain cafe.

Despite his promising future, Sedlak died at 29 at his home in North Vancouver last July.

At the time, a family statement said he died from complications of an “undiagnosed medical condition.”

A coroner’s report dated Dec. 27, 2012 lists the official cause of death as “intentional ingestion of excessive amounts of cocaine and oxycodone.”

At the time of his death, Sedlak was described by television producer and friend John Ritchie as “a very, very talented guy and a real gentleman.” Friend and fellow chef Trish Magwood said she knew him as a larger-than-life personality and passionate chef who “really knew his stuff.”

The Anthony Sedlak Memorial Career Training Scholarship has been set up in School District 44, to be administered by the North Vancouver High School Education Foundation.

The $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to students interested in pursuing a career in the culinary arts.

Read more: Celebrity chef Anthony Sedlak died of a drug overdose, coroner?s report finds

Phil@rise 05-06-2013 10:31 AM

Great a scholarship fund created in honor of a coke head. Common kids you to can be a great chef with a drug problem of your own! What a role model.

meowjinboo 05-07-2013 01:48 AM

So because someone does blow in an industry thats highly stressful they are a bad person?

brofact: Most people do drugs.

freelunch 05-07-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8230965)
So because someone does blow in an industry thats highly stressful they are a bad person?

I think people are too tolerant these days of illicit drug use and it doesn't bode well for our society. Hard life or party life it just shouldn't be acceptable. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Brianrietta 05-07-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

:rukidding:

Not specifically but it sure as hell makes them a terrible role model for youth.

actualfact: Most people do not do drugs.

Gumby 05-07-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

I can accept your first sentence, but your second?
:facepalm:

snails 05-07-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

you are around the wrong people if most of them are doing drugs... only a few of my friends even blaze and drink occasionally :rukidding:

westopher 05-07-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

I gotta agree. The guy was a coke head, and thats shitty. But to judge him as a bad person for it is unfair. Lots of people have vices, and some are worse than others, but a bad person in my eyes is someone that acts with malice towards others. The two are not necessarily synonymous. I wouldn't say most people do drugs but lots do. Multiply normal drug use x restaurants x vancouver and most is probably a reasonable statement. Theres no reason that a kids going to get his scholarship and be like "oh hey, this guy was an awesome role model so if I get this I should become a coke head too!"

Gt-R R34 05-07-2013 03:58 PM

Tend to agree most people do some form of drug.

Know my fair share of lawyers/doctors/chefs and people in the government that semi regularly do drugs. Include mj

I'd say probably 25 don't / 45 casual / 30 hardcore.
Posted via RS Mobile

meowjinboo 05-07-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianrietta (Post 8231058)
:rukidding:

Not specifically but it sure as hell makes them a terrible role model for youth.

actualfact: Most people do not do drugs.

caffeine, alcohol, anti depressants, melatonin, painkillers?

Come on be real.