REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Insuring a bike and car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670751-insuring-bike-car.html)

dn53 07-10-2012 11:25 PM

Insuring a bike and car

Hi i have a question about insuring two vehicles. Several months ago I rear ended someone and it was 100% my fault.

I live in South Vancouver and commute to the North Shore for work. With rising gas prices and a boring commute, getting into riding is a good idea.

I am wondering if it is possible to insure my motorcycle as my primary vehicle for commuting and my car as pleasure. The secondary vehicle insured is not affected by my surcharge. I know a lot people talk about cheating ICBC and cancelling their scooter bike or whatnot to beat the surcharge, but I actually do want to ride it year round (weather permitting of course).

My insurance rate is bumped up to about $4200 a year for my car alone. Insuring a bike with collision is about $957 a year (quoted $57 x a 40% surcharge) for a ninja 250r, and $2600 for my car with my 15% discount. That would in the end still save me money, and enjoy riding.

I am aware i'm going to have to buy a ton more gear for the rainy and colder weather, but atleast the money will go towards gear instead of my premium

Does anyone else do this? My big question is what makes your vehicle a "Primary" car?

rk604 07-11-2012 08:38 AM

I insure both, list my car for work/school +/- 15km, going one way and my bike as pleasure. I don't think there's really a primary or secondary, as it is more of what your planning to use the vehicle for. In your case, your motorcycle insurance would be for work/school +/- 15km, and the car for pleasure use. From my understanding the insurance surcharge/premium that your paying is attached to YOU, so therefore, regardless of how many vehicles you insure, it would affect your whole fleet.

I may be wrong...if you want info, talk to an auto plan agent. I usually go to the one at Metrotown Mall, downstairs by the Disney Store. The guy that works there is VERY therral. Good luck!

kyoshi 07-11-2012 12:44 PM

Insurance is based on the type of vehicle I believe so your insurance and premiums would be considered separately. I have a friend who had an at fault accident in his car so he pays a higher level on the car vs the bike

rk604 07-11-2012 03:50 PM

^^^
hmm...the insurance premium won't kick in until the next renewal date. So was the car renewed sooner than the bike?

Klobbersaurus 07-11-2012 05:04 PM

learn how to ride a scooter first before buying a bike :troll:

xerograv 07-11-2012 06:05 PM

scooters are stupid cheap too, get a honda ruckus, they're cheap to run, cheap to insure, and you can customize them pretty easily.

dn53 07-11-2012 08:39 PM

I called icbc. I was right, the first vehicle insured will take my surcharge and the second one will be as if there was never an accident (15% in my case). They said they cannot just move my car surcharge to my bike.

They also said if I insure my bike and then cancel my car to skip the surcharge, icbc will find out (this was not my intention anyway). He did not comment when I said I wanted to insure my bike first to take the surcharge and my car second. He said icbc does not use a primary or secondary vehicle system, so it seems like options are open for me to cancel my car insurance and to have my bike to have a surcharge and insure my car after for the 15%.

Lol klobb is just commenting how I fell off a scooter last week

bcrdukes 07-11-2012 09:44 PM

How does one fall off a scooter? :p

dn53 07-11-2012 11:11 PM

LOL yeah yeah I know.. Just being an amateur thinking I was hot shit doing a left turn too quickly and wiped out. Lesson learned and it won't happen again. Plus I plan on taking riding school @ prs :)

racerman88 07-13-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7973117)

Have you seen how some ppl ride on a scooter?
Damn scooter riders can be reckless.

snails 07-13-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7973117)

ive done it :( tire shine all over the floor in the detail shop as i was rolling one out, slid for a bit, feet on the ground and everything! and on the ground i was! :fullofwin:those fckers are heavier then they look haha:failed:

but to reply, to your question, cancel insurance on car, insure bike with the raised premiums, then re insure car