REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Insuring a bike and car

Hi i have a question about insuring two vehicles. Several months ago I rear ended someone and it was 100% my fault.

I live in South Vancouver and commute to the North Shore for work. With rising gas prices and a boring commute, getting into riding is a good idea.

I am wondering if it is possible to insure my motorcycle as my primary vehicle for commuting and my car as pleasure. The secondary vehicle insured is not affected by my surcharge. I know a lot people talk about cheating ICBC and cancelling their scooter bike or whatnot to beat the surcharge, but I actually do want to ride it year round (weather permitting of course).

My insurance rate is bumped up to about $4200 a year for my car alone. Insuring a bike with collision is about $957 a year (quoted $57 x a 40% surcharge) for a ninja 250r, and $2600 for my car with my 15% discount. That would in the end still save me money, and enjoy riding.

I am aware i'm going to have to buy a ton more gear for the rainy and colder weather, but atleast the money will go towards gear instead of my premium

Does anyone else do this? My big question is what makes your vehicle a "Primary" car?
Advertisement
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Why'd you do that for?

I insure both, list my car for work/school +/- 15km, going one way and my bike as pleasure. I don't think there's really a primary or secondary, as it is more of what your planning to use the vehicle for. In your case, your motorcycle insurance would be for work/school +/- 15km, and the car for pleasure use. From my understanding the insurance surcharge/premium that your paying is attached to YOU, so therefore, regardless of how many vehicles you insure, it would affect your whole fleet.

I may be wrong...if you want info, talk to an auto plan agent. I usually go to the one at Metrotown Mall, downstairs by the Disney Store. The guy that works there is VERY therral. Good luck!
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Insurance is based on the type of vehicle I believe so your insurance and premiums would be considered separately. I have a friend who had an at fault accident in his car so he pays a higher level on the car vs the bike
kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Why'd you do that for?

^^^
hmm...the insurance premium won't kick in until the next renewal date. So was the car renewed sooner than the bike?
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

learn how to ride a scooter first before buying a bike
Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

scooters are stupid cheap too, get a honda ruckus, they're cheap to run, cheap to insure, and you can customize them pretty easily.
xerograv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #7

I called icbc. I was right, the first vehicle insured will take my surcharge and the second one will be as if there was never an accident (15% in my case). They said they cannot just move my car surcharge to my bike.

They also said if I insure my bike and then cancel my car to skip the surcharge, icbc will find out (this was not my intention anyway). He did not comment when I said I wanted to insure my bike first to take the surcharge and my car second. He said icbc does not use a primary or secondary vehicle system, so it seems like options are open for me to cancel my car insurance and to have my bike to have a surcharge and insure my car after for the 15%.

Lol klobb is just commenting how I fell off a scooter last week
Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
How does one fall off a scooter?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #9

LOL yeah yeah I know.. Just being an amateur thinking I was hot shit doing a left turn too quickly and wiped out. Lesson learned and it won't happen again. Plus I plan on taking riding school @ prs
Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Have you seen how some ppl ride on a scooter?
Damn scooter riders can be reckless.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
ive done it tire shine all over the floor in the detail shop as i was rolling one out, slid for a bit, feet on the ground and everything! and on the ground i was! those fckers are heavier then they look haha

but to reply, to your question, cancel insurance on car, insure bike with the raised premiums, then re insure car
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: