REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #26
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
I like the 407, whenever i go down for work I usually use it and surprisingly the Gardiner expressway flows pretty well during rush hour, only gets jammed before you hit downtown.
In Toronto I use the 407, it's pretty quick!
Advertisement
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Like others in here...I call the survey bullshit. Dont know what kinda calclations they're using but my simple equation....high population = insane traffic

Vancouver compared to Toronto...we're wayyyyyy better off.
The QEW highway in Toronto is a living nightmare during all hours. The 407 toll highway is expensive as hell.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Damn bike lanes.

I work downtown, and have to carefully pick my streets depending on morning/evening traffic flow.
Unless you're a boss or have clients downtown, I don't know why anyone would commute downtown via car. Downtown is the best served destination in all of the Lower Mainland by public transit.

I do have occasional access to a West End parkade that is a 5 minute walk to my office, so I've done the commute occasionally from the east and the south by car. Dunsmir at 8:00 isn't all that bad and Burrard is just fine too. But, it takes me just as much time to drive to work from the east as does the commute by Skytrain.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #29
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
Anybody that lives in Surrey and the North Shore can attest how bad traffic is here. Ever try to get into North Van from downtown and trying to go through stanley park? Or go from the northshore to downtown during a saturday afternoon?

Don't even get me started on Surrey, I had to take Port Mann/ Alex Fraser for work for two years and it by far is the worst traffic I've ever been apart of on a daily basis, and if accidents happen it's game over.
I moved from surrey becaause in order to get to my work (right under the port mann) which was 14 km from home it took me a bare minimum of 30 mins to get there, and that was on a good day.

I now live in east van and commuting about 25ish km and it takes about 20 mins
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
2nd worst in north america is probably not even in the top 50 of the world's most congested traffic
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Currently in Calgary right now and I have to say their roads are better. They actually have highways (100km+) that connects major hubs around the city also their high ways have more lanes . You can't really call something with only 2 lanes that goes 90km max a highway.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #32
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I still crack up about the traffic lights on highway 91 for the 72nd ave exit, like who the hell puts TRAFFIC LIGHTS on a highway?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #33
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
^^^

dont forget about lougheed highway
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #34
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
The real problem is that Vancouver is designed like an American city, i.e., separate areas for commercial and residential, with limited mixing, but the politicians and decision-makers think that it's an European city, where you have a mixture of residential and commerce, all within the same space. A recipe for disaster.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
I still crack up about the traffic lights on highway 91 for the 72nd ave exit, like who the hell puts TRAFFIC LIGHTS on a highway?

That's the other issue. Fucked up priorities.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #35
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Unless you're a boss or have clients downtown, I don't know why anyone would commute downtown via car. Downtown is the best served destination in all of the Lower Mainland by public transit.

I do have occasional access to a West End parkade that is a 5 minute walk to my office, so I've done the commute occasionally from the east and the south by car. Dunsmir at 8:00 isn't all that bad and Burrard is just fine too. But, it takes me just as much time to drive to work from the east as does the commute by Skytrain.
a lot of times it's where you live, not where you are trying to get to.
example: UBC
There's a crapton of buses that serve UBC: 17,10, 4, 41, 49, 25, 44, 99B, 480 just to name a FEW

Too bad it takes me about 2 hours to get to school from where I live in Richmond by transit and ~60 minutes by car during the rush hours.

Non rush hour ~ 1.5 hours by bus and 30 minutes by car.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #36
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

driving 407 with a rental car? lol

Toronto... I was there recently (and going again next week) and I can't believe there are traffic jams literally from 7am to 8pm on the DVP heading downtown. And don't forget about that 401 parking lot.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
a lot of times it's where you live, not where you are trying to get to.
example: UBC
There's a crapton of buses that serve UBC: 17,10, 4, 41, 49, 25, 44, 99B, 480 just to name a FEW
When I went to BCIT, I only had like two buses to choose from that stopped by the campus, and they only leave from Metro which was the most convenient for me.. after getting off the skytrain or the 430

Too many buses for UBC and not enough buses for other campuses like BCIT did not make very many students who take the bus to and from there happy.. Waiting half an hour to an hour at the stop only to see that your bus is full
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #38
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
driving 407 with a rental car? lol

Toronto... I was there recently (and going again next week) and I can't believe there are traffic jams literally from 7am to 8pm on the DVP heading downtown. And don't forget about that 401 parking lot.
You're referring to rental cars + toll right? I got something in the mail from the rental company for the toll but I never paid it.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #39
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

too many dam lights everywhere
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #40
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Look how many people are in Asia compared to us. Look all the other cities as well. It's a fricken joke and even more of a joke they are going to be making us pay for better transit with tolls.
Honestly I think the "better transit" part was just a bribe to get people to be somewhat ok with having a toll
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

vancouver traffic is nothing compared to beijing.. 4 hours to go 2 kms ever other day during rush hour? Either that or ditch your car is your choice if you decide to drive
Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #42

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
vancouver traffic is nothing compared to beijing.. 4 hours to go 2 kms ever other day during rush hour? Either that or ditch your car is your choice if you decide to drive
you are seriously comparing vancouver to beijing? People go on red lights and shit there and no one gives a fuck if u run over someone. Atleast compare it to LA/NY/Toronto..

also, for the

Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
At least traffic actually moves in Vancouver albeit slowly, a ton of cities you can get caught in a jam that doesnt go ANYWHERE for 30 minutes and when you finally get through it, you realize what's causing the jam is... NOTHING at all
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #44
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
When I went to BCIT, I only had like two buses to choose from that stopped by the campus, and they only leave from Metro which was the most convenient for me.. after getting off the skytrain or the 430

Too many buses for UBC and not enough buses for other campuses like BCIT did not make very many students who take the bus to and from there happy.. Waiting half an hour to an hour at the stop only to see that your bus is full
I know! I live by BCIT and for me to get to metro town it takes about 10 to 15min drive but taking the bus takes over 40mins.........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
49th street is probably the most congested street of all time in Vancouver.
Absolutely ridiculous.
I agree, 49th and 41st, both are major street's that span the length of Vancouver and arguably among the most traveled on (I live on 41st) yet the still allow parking along the road which is stupid because it shrinks it down to a single lane on both sides. It gets absolutely horrendous when you get from Victoria Dr. down to Cambie.
NeoKaze92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #46
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
At least traffic actually moves in Vancouver albeit slowly, a ton of cities you can get caught in a jam that doesnt go ANYWHERE for 30 minutes and when you finally get through it, you realize what's causing the jam is... NOTHING at all
This.

Remember that Tom Tom is comparing data from off peak to rush hour. Vancouver flows very well off peak. I can drive to quite a few places while only hitting a few lights, and even then - they're timed well and I'm not waiting at an intersection with no cars going through for 5 minutes.

I've driven through a number of American Cities - and even in the middle of the night, you'll be stuck at intersections where there are no cars for a few minutes. My buddy who lives in Houston - says that some of the idiots just end up running red lights because they don't want to wait there for 3 minutes when there is no traffic around.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #47
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
you are seriously comparing vancouver to beijing? People go on red lights and shit there and no one gives a fuck if u run over someone. Atleast compare it to LA/NY/Toronto..

also, for the

Insane traffic in Beijing - YouTube
What the fuck?

How does anyone get ANYWHERE in that traffic?

Anyone use the Waze app on iPhone? Gave it a try...real time reporting of traffic conditions using data from your GPS and other users. There's a decent following in Vancouver and it's pretty accurate.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post

also, for the

Insane traffic in Beijing - YouTube
no, I'm just saying vancouver traffic is really nothing. I wouldn't even compare it to LA/NY/Toronto, probably closer to Portland or Seattle. LA/NY/Toronto is more along Beijing lines.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #49
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
They closed Hastings today between boundary and Willingdon between 4 and 10PM...for a bike race.

ON A WEEKDAY?! Yep. Wednesdays are bad for traffic.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #50
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts

is there even a fucking point in having a horn on your vehicle at this point?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote