REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #26
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
funny, I had a similar conversation with my sis the other day.
while looking for a new shed for the backyard, I thought, why not buy a shipping container?
Hanjin? Maersk?

also reminds me of this
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

OP, the Crown doesnt appreciate people trying to cut corners in the rat race, so I doubt its legal or easily doable... also the whole getting the toxic stuff off safely and disposing it is a real turn off for me personally.

You should be able to get around the laws if you put the container on a trailer though... checkout this tiny home doc.
We The Tiny House People (Documentary): Small Homes, Tiny Flats & Wee Shelters
I recommend you build and find out if these following CNC machine cut houses can be made on a plot of land... some are structurally approved and they have spacing for insulation, ect... and it's more like a house then a steel box.
WikiHouse
WikiHouse / Open Source Construction Set

An example of a guy building a large house from CNC'd plywood.( w video)
Computerized Milling of a House in 4 Weeks

Myself Im planning to live in a mobile home for my first house. Im almost finished building a 4x4 foot CNC (which can be made for under $500 using my design) and with that I'll one day make the green house in my pictures below, which would be expandable too.
http://i.imgur.com/1JJTP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GBV4J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2L5kf.png
Anyone interested in brainstorming for future projects, message me.

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 07-14-2012 at 08:46 PM.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #28
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Anyone know her name? i tried searching but can't find it. She is very tough =) raising 4 kids is heck of a responsibility + $$. I'm gonna donate some money to her, need to locate where she is ~~
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Funny was just thinking about this and if it would work along the train tracks in kerrisdale where they have the public farm spots..would be like an affordable housing option in a higher end neighbourhood. Although city council would never approve as it would disrupt the look of the neighbourhood.

nice concept but not very feasible in the lower mainland (at least in the dense neighbourhoods I think)
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

the reason people build these is they tend to be cheap in 3rd world countries like Belize, the Philippines etc, where the costs to convert them are pretty negligible. Here you'd still have to buy the land and then spend essentially what amounts to not quite, but fairly close to the same money to build and get one up to code that a mobile home would cost. They're great if you have land on a lake or something and want to make something like a 1 room cabin, and there's tons of websites and such that do it. I saw a place in Cebu (in the philippines) that had a trio of them, guy rented the land for something like 20 years (expats can't own land, their wives can though), and build a house using 2 of them welded together and put up on cement pylons, and a seperate one for e garage/workshop and another for a pool. the pool? those toxins people in the rest of the thread are talking about, essentially killed that plan, he dumped topsoil on it and turned it into a sand garden.
xerograv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #31
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
how is this any different than pitching a gazebo/tent (a metal one) in your yard (if you own the land) and living in it?

This tent can support tonnes of weight.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #32
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
lol @ all the people who failed the OP.

OP, your idea might not work out well, it may not be very feasable, hell it may be down right stupid, but I like the fact that you're exploring alternate forms of living rather than being blindly forced into a half a mill mortgage because society tells you so.

Even though you end up doing the latter anyways, I still have much respect and enjoy your adventurous thinking. Fail or succeed, I would love to see that youTube channel.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #33
RS controls my life!

I remember reading about a street dweller dieing in a shipping container that he lived in. I guess he left his hot plate on and it caught fire. I think I could live in one, but only if I built a window or a skylight. Would be too hard. Find a free window off craigslist, cut a hole in your container, put the window on with supports and such. Culk the shit out of it so it doesn't leak. Enjoy your containers view. not a good idea if you don't own the container though.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #34
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I want one full of guns and passports like the dude in Lord of War. Not to live in...just as some sort of evil genius vault.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #35
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Anyone know her name? i tried searching but can't find it. She is very tough =) raising 4 kids is heck of a responsibility + $$. I'm gonna donate some money to her, need to locate where she is ~~[/QUOTE]

This is totally impressive. That house actually looks quite comfy. I could live in that...as long as I have electricity and Wi-Fi but otherwise, she's got everything else.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post

Anyone know her name? i tried searching but can't find it. She is very tough =) raising 4 kids is heck of a responsibility + $$. I'm gonna donate some money to her, need to locate where she is ~~
Maybe she doesn't want money and handouts? Maybe she takes pride in being self sufficient and is happy the way she is. I mean, it sure sounds like it from the video. Not like you would ever follow through anyway.

Give your money to an orphanage, or people who do social work locally.
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote