REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Transmission question

I bought a used 97 Volkswagen golf Gti pretty much got screwed on it, sucks not knowing much about cars, I don't think there's a single thing that is working as its supposed to :s.

Anyways I got around to hitting the highway last night and found out I can't shift into 5th gear, it's like it's not even there, I push over as far as it will go and push up and it slips into third.

The stick is very loose, even when in gear, all the other gears are fine and the clutch was checked just last week whe I had it in (it's been recently replaced)

If anyone could give me a couple likely scenarios as to what's wrong it would be greatly appreciated , I don't want to take it in and be solely at the mercy of the mechanic

Edit:

Ok so i think i just fixed it, I was annoyed so i decided to go down and poke around, started puting it into gears and looking under the hood figuring out what moves what etc, then i reached down and started pushing and pulling.
I noticed there was some kind of plastic clip piece that looked like it wasnt right, so i snapped it back closed and bam!, no more play in the stick and i can put it into all the gears.

Now why it popped open in the first place or points to a bigger issue i dont know, but at the moment i feel very satisfied"
Advertisement

Last edited by ABRAXAAS; 07-12-2012 at 08:13 PM.
ABRAXAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Broken linkage for 5th most likely, shoulda had someone come look at it. And always test all the gears before you buy. Expensive lesson learnt
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #3

I talked to someone that claimed to be knowledgeable he seems to think it might just require an adjustment , obviously that's best case scenario and the thing I'm hoping for lol
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
That's a little optimistic. The car is a 97. It's 15 years old. It will need some work.

Although an expensive mistake, I hope it's a lesson you will remember for the rest of your life. I speak from experience. Always have a car checked out by a mechanic, be it a Revscene sponsor, a family mechanic or a dealership. A few hundred dollars can save you thousands.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
For a relatively cheap VW shop (not that VW's are cheap to have fixed... ) try PG Performance. Good shop that does good work and has reasonable prices for VW stuff.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, assuming it is a broken linkage any idea what something like that will run me? is it a big job?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #7

Ok so i think i just fixed it, I was annoyed so i decided to go down and poke around, started puting it into gears and looking under the hood figuring out what moves what etc, then i reached down and started pushing and pulling.
I noticed there was some kind of plastic clip piece that looked like it wasnt right, so i snapped it back closed and bam!, no more play in the stick and i can put it into all the gears.

Now why it popped open in the first place or points to a bigger issue i dont know, but at the moment i feel very satisfied
Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Because made in mexico.
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Congrats!

Nothing like buying an older car to learn all the little things. Everything I know about working on cars I learned it the hard way on my '86 MR2 =)
Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

glad it was an easy fix!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Sounds like this little tidbit of information will be coming in handy for you:

VM Autohaus Inc - Burnaby, BC - 4407 Juneau St | Canpages

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote