REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Why not expand impoundment penalties? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670832-why-not-expand-impoundment-penalties.html)

sebberry 07-12-2012 03:03 PM

Why not expand impoundment penalties?

I wonder why the BC government doesn't expand the impoundment penalties to cover more traffic offenses.

My big beef with speed enforcement, being manned or photo, is it still fails to achieve consistent traffic flow. If I want to obey the speed limit to avoid tickets, I'm statistically at greater risk of being in a collision with the cars around me if they're exceeding the limit.

Clearly the threat of being pulled over doesn't work for most people, so why not the threat of impoundment?

10kph over gets you three days, 20kph over gets 5, 30kph gets 7 and 40+ gets 10. People would figure out pretty quickly that they need to spend more time looking at their speedometer.

Yodamaster 07-12-2012 08:18 PM

Probably wouldn't change much, people are going to speed no matter what.

Numerous times I've witnessed people going well over 40+, at that point you can get your vehicle impounded and charged.

If that isn't incentive enough...

zulutango 07-12-2012 08:38 PM

Quick mods....somebody has hacked into sebbery's account and an imposter is posing as him. :)

sebberry 07-12-2012 08:47 PM

No no, it's me. I'm just thinking that with the screaming success of previous programs, this might work quite well. I have no problems doing the speed limit (although I do get quite frustrated when it's obviously too slow), but I do get pissed off when I'm the only one doing it.

Clearly the vast majority of people aren't thinking "I could get a ticket" over and over to themselves while they're barrelling along at 60 in a 50 zone. Maybe "I could lose my car" would do the trick?

If the impoundments were for slower speeds, then maybe people would think twice before going 40kph over? If enough people were having cars impounded for 10kph over, then pretty quickly you'd clue in.

I mean, Australia blanketed the place with speed cameras, and the results were (allegedly) dramatic. Blanket the roads with speed cops and tow trucks, the results should be equally as dramatic.

Yodamaster 07-12-2012 09:25 PM

It definitely could be dramatic, but at what cost?

We have a lot of roads here in Canada/BC, blanketing them all with police, towing, and camera services would cost a lot.

To me it's worth it if we could keep all of the other excellent programs around that also save lives, it's all about money... even though lives are worth more than it.

sebberry 07-12-2012 09:44 PM

User-pay.

Yodamaster 07-12-2012 09:51 PM

What do you mean by user pay?

As in tickets = funding?

Fair enough, but it would have to be gradual, not like that's a problem.

sebberry 07-12-2012 10:03 PM

The only problem is finding enough space to put the impounded cars.

2.8M cars registered in BC, the vast majority not abiding by the posted limit.

What about on the spot wheel clamping?

xilley 07-13-2012 01:30 AM

is this a joke? 10 km over and you get 3 days. so going down royal oak at 61km and you should get 3 days impound. LOL
and royal oak is just an example, even when there is always speed trap, people are all going atleast 75-80.
now if you say 10 km over. damn.. you just made busters towing and mundies richer than ever

doma 07-13-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7973997)
barrelling along at 60 in a 50 zone.

Uhm....barrelling? Hahahaha

melloman 07-13-2012 07:34 AM

Holy crap. Lets just make Hwy1 a 60km/h zone then. :rukidding:

sebberry 07-13-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 7974194)
is this a joke? 10 km over and you get 3 days. so going down royal oak at 61km and you should get 3 days impound. LOL
and royal oak is just an example, even when there is always speed trap, people are all going atleast 75-80.
now if you say 10 km over. damn.. you just made busters towing and mundies richer than ever

See you've highlighted the exact problem that needs to be dealt with.

The speed enforcement in its current form doesn't work. If you don't want to risk a ticket and choose to drive the speed limit, then you're at a much greater risk of being hit by those who aren't deterred by the threat of a speed trap.

Even places that operate speed cameras are still raising millions of dollars in revenue from people who continue to speed.

The only way I can see the government achieving their goal is to make being caught for speeding as much of a nuisance as possible. The threat of fines, points and increased premiums don't scare enough people. Losing their car should.

xilley 07-13-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7974360)
See you've highlighted the exact problem that needs to be dealt with.

The speed enforcement in its current form doesn't work. If you don't want to risk a ticket and choose to drive the speed limit, then you're at a much greater risk of being hit by those who aren't deterred by the threat of a speed trap.

Even places that operate speed cameras are still raising millions of dollars in revenue from people who continue to speed.

The only way I can see the government achieving their goal is to make being caught for speeding as much of a nuisance as possible. The threat of fines, points and increased premiums don't scare enough people. Losing their car should.

Losing their car dont scare them, losing their LICENSE SCARES EVERYONE.

Great68 07-13-2012 04:02 PM

While we're at it, let's have on the spot executions for jaywalking!!

Yodamaster 07-13-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7974681)
While we're at it, let's have on the spot executions for jaywalking!!

If you're stupid enough to jaywalk when cars are around, you're asking for your own execution... by car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 7974194)

So you're admitting that you don't give a fuck about other people's safety, nice.

6793026 07-13-2012 04:40 PM

the question i want to ask is why would you want to be that strict?
why don't we impound cars every time we get a ticket, why don't we impound cars even at 3 min. idling, heck, impound each time you forget the meter...
why don't we jail everyone even if you stole a chocolate bar, jay walking, or jail everyone for speeding at a red.
Yes, it would make people super prone to being a law abiding citizen but wtf... just a thought.

Great68 07-13-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 7974711)
If you're stupid enough to jaywalk when cars are around, you're asking for your own execution... by car.

Rediculously big punishment for small infraction.

Thanks for agreeing with my point! :thumbsup:

Iceman-19 07-13-2012 08:52 PM

OP, you are an idiot.

firebird79_00 07-13-2012 09:03 PM

Seriously you want to impound someones vehicle for doing 10 over? I usually do 30 over but wont typically do more then that, but if it came to a point that your vehicle can be impounded for doing 10 over id say fuck it and drive the shit outta my car. If its gonna be impounded might as well do it with no fucks given.

firebird79_00 07-13-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7973730)
People would figure out pretty quickly that they need to spend more time looking at their speedometer.

Wouldnt that also mean paying less attention to the road, if people are gonna be constantly checking there speed there eyes are off the road.

sebberry 07-13-2012 09:11 PM

Can anyone come up with a better way to force greater compliance with the speed limit?

Why wouldn't you want to be strict?

Ferra 07-14-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7974906)
Can anyone come up with a better way to force greater compliance with the speed limit?

Why wouldn't you want to be strict?

Hey hey, how about this...
10km/h over the speed limit = minimum 20 years in prison? I bet no one will be speeding any more! :rolleyes:

The punish has to fit the crime...going 10-20km/h over the speed limit does very little potential harm to the society. (relative to other crimes)
You might get 1 or 2 accidents out of every hundred of thousands of people who went 10-20km/h over the speed limit

I've read some of your threads and I really can't tell you are delusional or trolling...

sebberry 07-14-2012 08:52 AM

I never said I liked the idea but all I'm trying to do is come up with ways to make sure all the cars in a given speed zone are travelling at nearly the same speed together, the only real way to eliminate "speed related crashes". The government doesn't want to acknowledge that crashes went down when speed limits were raised (due to a reduction of the speed differential between cars) so why not use extreme measures to enforce the speed limit as it is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferra (Post 7975142)
The punish has to fit the crime...going 10-20km/h over the speed limit does very little potential harm to the society. (relative to other crimes)

That's not what the government tells us through all the enforcement programs they insist on.

sebberry 07-14-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferra (Post 7975142)
I've read some of your threads and I really can't tell you are delusional or trolling...

Bit of both, but conventional thinking is what got us into this mess to begin with.

zulutango 07-14-2012 03:24 PM

Howsabout somebody design a portable roadside crusher attached to a Radar/Laser setup. The machine is triggered by any speed over the posted limit and it gives you 2 minutes to exit the car before it ends up like the cubed Lincoln from Goldfinger:)