REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Hard water stains on windows! I can't get rid of them!!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670930-hard-water-stains-windows-i-cant-get-rid-them.html)

jasonturbo 07-15-2012 09:51 AM

Hard water stains on windows! I can't get rid of them!!!

The rear window on my car has some pretty nasty hard water marks on it, nothing I have tried seems to help at all, see below for the list of my desperate attempts

-CLR
-Ceramic cooktop cleaner/polish
-Windex
-Fine autobody polish (mequiars)
-0000 steel wool

I'm going to try some vinegar and water today, spray it on the window, put a garbage bag over it and let the vinegar sit for a little while to see if that helps at all.

Any suggestions? This is starting to drive me crazy looking in the back window and seeing a million little spots.. you couldn't even see it when the car had tint, now that the tint is gone all you an see is SPOTS!!!!

Note: Yes I have confirmed this is not on the inside of the glass, they are for sure on the outside.

Please help me :(

firebird79_00 07-15-2012 10:59 AM

Most likely acid rain, your not gonna be able to get rid of it.

AstulzerRZD 07-15-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 7975841)
The rear window on my car has some pretty nasty hard water marks on it, nothing I have tried seems to help at all, see below for the list of my desperate attempts

-CLR
-Ceramic cooktop cleaner/polish
-Windex
-Fine autobody polish (mequiars)
-0000 steel wool

I'm going to try some vinegar and water today, spray it on the window, put a garbage bag over it and let the vinegar sit for a little while to see if that helps at all.

Any suggestions? This is starting to drive me crazy looking in the back window and seeing a million little spots.. you couldn't even see it when the car had tint, now that the tint is gone all you an see is SPOTS!!!!

Note: Yes I have confirmed this is not on the inside of the glass, they are for sure on the outside.

Please help me :(

Try Mother's Carnauba Cleaner's Wax - I don't use it to wax the car, but it's pretty good at cleaning the dirt out of door jambs, glass, etc

Even if the wax doesn't end up working well at clearing your rear glass, you can still use the wax for future details, and polishing miscellaneous household items

smoothie. 07-15-2012 01:15 PM

glass polish

911fanatic 07-15-2012 05:02 PM

If you have access to a polisher, you can try regular polish and see if that works. A fairly aggressive pad like orange or yellow used with a medium polish like Menzerna Power Finish or Meg's 205 will be safe. Alternatively, pop by and I'll have a go at it for you.

jasonturbo 07-15-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911fanatic (Post 7976135)
If you have access to a polisher, you can try regular polish and see if that works. A fairly aggressive pad like orange or yellow used with a medium polish like Menzerna Power Finish or Meg's 205 will be safe. Alternatively, pop by and I'll have a go at it for you.

Yeah if the vinegar or aluminum polish don't work... or a combination of that and steel wool... maybe when I leave the car with you in August for the cut/polish you can take a crack at the glass too.

God I hope something works, it's really ugly.