REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Soft/back/dirt roading in the Tri city areas?

Alright so here is what I’m looking for.

I’m not looking for “trails”, as you off roady types put it, I’m driving a 99 CRV. It’s running Yoko Geolander ATS tires which are miles beyond the stock piles that came on this thing, but it’s not an off road rock crawler.

I like back roads, I like dirt roads, I like just driving places I wouldn’t normally take my Civic (read: anything unpaved). Soft Roading would be the more appropriate term. The Gen 1 CRV has not bad ground clearance, but again, it’s not a Jeep.

I’ve been looking for back roads in the Poco/Maple ride area, somewhere to go for an hour or two drive up the hills. I figure you off roady types might know some, maybe dirt roads or roads you use on the way to the “trails” that might be a nice scenic type of drive.

To give you examples, I’ve tried heading up Quarry Road in Poco, but it gets blocked only a short way up, I assume a gravel pit operation. I found the same with Pipeline Road. So are there any roads like this in the tri citys area that keep going for a ways that I can explore a bit on a boring Sunday?

Thanks for any input.
Advertisement
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
quarry road ends up at a private property and pipeline heads into the coquitlam watershed.

you can go explore sumas mountain with your crv which should get you pretty much everywhere.

you can also head up east harrison with your crv.

vedder mountain is also nice with great views.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Cool, I'm interested as well.
Yoko Geolander ATS and 2" lift kit is still on my to do list for my little SX4
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions, any specific roads for those locations, or at least roads to start on?

Anything more local to the Tri City area? I was hoping to find somthing maybe on the way up and around Coquitlam lake, but maybe that all blocked off, I dont know.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

i always loved the logging roads up in harrison when i had my truck
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

Any sugested roads or directions we can use to check some of these places out would be a huge help. Its probally all second nature to you guys, but I would have no idea which road to follow and where to turn off etc.

If you have a road that you think might be good for what im looking for, post up some directions, would be much apreciated.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

To get onto the logging road

Quote:
From Vancouver, take Highway 7 to Harrison Mills. Turn left onto Morris Valley Road and turn left again onto West Harrison Forest Service Road
There's also some really nice camping up there, can either go off into the bush or drive about 30 mins until you reach 20 mile bay.

Pretty fun road, just watch out for ditches/wash outs if any and other crazy motorists (mostly dirt bikers) speeding up the road.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

x2 for west harrison. i use to go quadding and dirtbiking up there. i usually was the crazy person on the roads
civic_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, any specific roads for those locations, or at least roads to start on?

Anything more local to the Tri City area? I was hoping to find somthing maybe on the way up and around Coquitlam lake, but maybe that all blocked off, I dont know.
coquitlam lake and surrounding area is a watershed.

basically means stay the fuck out

harrison is definitely the place to go with your crv
Old 07-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
coquitlam lake and surrounding area is a watershed.

basically means stay the fuck out

harrison is definitely the place to go with your crv

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them rolling in if you got em. Soon as I have some time Ill check them out.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

any soft roads to recommend in whistler or north/west van?
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorice View Post
any soft roads to recommend in whistler or north/west van?
furry creek fsr, squamish valley fsr, callaghan lake fsr (might be a bit more challenging).

my friend was out in squamish valley and witnessed a dog get taken by a cougar so i'd be careful heading out into that area if i were you.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
My friend just bought an EVO and we were looking for soft roads to "mini-rally" lol

He basically wants to take some shots with his car all dusty etc.

We're not looking for anything too extreme, something suitable for an Evo, ML and X5

Thanks

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizo View Post
My friend just bought an EVO and we were looking for soft roads to "mini-rally" lol

We're not looking for anything too extreme, something suitable for an Evo, ML and X5

Thanks
is it armored?

you can try east harrison or up sumas mountain. sumas mountain is pretty tame with great areas to take photos.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #15
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
armored? you mean the wax applicant?

We've tried sumas mountain and it was fun. Tons of elevation and the suspension in the car felt like going over tiny speed bumps.

Do you know of any other roads? similar to logging roads? (less elevation - more straights)

Thanks

and by the way; I did manage to bring the ML to Triangle Beach. It was somewhat disappoint because I ended up running over TONS of beer bottles. Someone took the time to bury them briefly underneath the sand and I could hear them exploding as I creeped at low speeds.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
Survivor MOD

Quote:
armored? you mean the wax applicant?

We've tried sumas mountain and it was fun. Tons of elevation and the suspension in the car felt like going over tiny speed bumps.

Do you know of any other roads? similar to logging roads? (less elevation - more straights)

Thanks

and by the way; I did manage to bring the ML to Triangle Beach. It was somewhat disappoint because I ended up running over TONS of beer bottles. Someone took the time to bury them briefly underneath the sand and I could hear them exploding as I creeped at low speeds.

armored as in rally armor for the evo.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
Quote:

Thanks

So basically its up in the coquitlam gun range, I've taken photos there when I had my subby. it's the road i circled in the picture. its a curvy gravel road to the gun rage and right before the gravel road is a semi-hairpin turn.

I suggest you drive through first on the gravel road and once you reach the gun range just turn around and start there so you hit the hairpin last.

I also suggest you go around 8 at night since the road before the gravel is a contruction zone and there are people leave the gun range around 7.

Hug the corners super tight, and you'll see two gates when you first come in the place the second gate has a huge hole on one side of the road, when you drive through, first look for it so you know where it is. there are small ditches on both sides so don't hug it too much but just enough so you have more space if you lose control.

besides that your good but always watch out for traffic, I wouldn't suggest doing it, if you have dont have anyone to look out and tell you if there's a car coming.

There are more places gravel roads in coquitlam but it's better if not many people know about it. if you wanna know def head down to any revscene meet when i'm there and we can talk about it.

Be safe and cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revscenemap.jpg (294.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by RecklessNS; 07-25-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: quote original post
RecklessNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #18

Yeah let's get more dumb assholes ripping around corners on fsr's, you should leave some garbage behind too

Fucking tourist season
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestlove View Post
Yeah let's get more dumb assholes ripping around corners on fsr's, you should leave some garbage behind too

Fucking tourist season
Wow, thanks for that super helpful post!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't referring to you. I'll make this post helpful, west harison is good, it goes all the way to pemberton if your up for a long drive (I think it was 170km). The first half might be rough, the last half (there's a logging camp thing half way) was smooth when I did it. 2WD the whole way BUT there might be some deep water crossings, depends on when you go. East Harrison to Boston bar was easy but I've got a truck, I don't know if a CRV can do it. There's lots of off shoots to explore. Bring a spare tire and tools, let people know where you're going and when you'll be back etc etc if you're rolling solo, common sense I know. But a friend of mine lacks it and he walked a loooooong way to get cell reception
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't referring to you. I'll make this post helpful, west harison is good, it goes all the way to pemberton if your up for a long drive (I think it was 170km). The first half might be rough, the last half (there's a logging camp thing half way) was smooth when I did it. 2WD the whole way BUT there might be some deep water crossings, depends on when you go. East Harrison to Boston bar was easy but I've got a truck, I don't know if a CRV can do it. There's lots of off shoots to explore. Bring a spare tire and tools, let people know where you're going and when you'll be back etc etc if you're rolling solo, common sense I know. But a friend of mine lacks it and he walked a loooooong way to get cell reception
theres a washout kookapi on the way to boston bar.

west is probably better.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
Survivor MOD

Quote:

Fucking tourist season
Quote:
honestly its true.

people think they can rally their brand spankin new evo's and sti's on the forest service roads and often times rip it at high speed. they endanger other people's lives as well as their own. if they cant be responsible they should stay the fuck out.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
So nobody's mentioned Stave... there are lots of other trucks, bikes, quads, etc. this time of year so you don't have to worry about being stranded if you break something, but the main road goes quite a ways and has so amazing views. We did it almost all the way in our '08 Patriot a couple years ago, the only problem I ran into was the very last little hill that between the slope and the rocks, gave the CVT transmission fits. I also have a '98 CR-V and it has better clearance than the Pat, and no CVT, so your V should be able to make it the whole way, no problem.

Bunch of pics from our run here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1098334...railRunJuly109

Check out the GPS track here: Track #4 | Author Soundy | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #24

wow, the Stave trip looks great. Nice work on showing the road Soundy.

If you guys know a location to check out, try putting up some directions. For those of us who dont know, we gotta be able to find the roads your talking about.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So nobody's mentioned Stave... there are lots of other trucks, bikes, quads, etc. this time of year so you don't have to worry about being stranded if you break something, but the main road goes quite a ways and has so amazing views. We did it almost all the way in our '08 Patriot a couple years ago, the only problem I ran into was the very last little hill that between the slope and the rocks, gave the CVT transmission fits. I also have a '98 CR-V and it has better clearance than the Pat, and no CVT, so your V should be able to make it the whole way, no problem.

Bunch of pics from our run here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1098334...railRunJuly109

Check out the GPS track here: Track #4 | Author Soundy | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service
swear i've seen your car on youtube and on the jeep forums.

i didnt recommend stave because of the idiots out there with guns.