REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Proposed Maple Ridge bylaw to single out pit bulls

Quote:
District of Maple Ridge staff are recommending a new dog bylaw that singles out pit bulls as “aggressive” and would charge their owners a licensing fee four times that of other breeds.

The fee would apply to pit bull terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, American pit bull terriers, or a cross of any of the breeds.

Pit bull owners would be required to pay a $200 “aggressive dog” licensing fee annually, and require their dog to be muzzled when off the owner’s property. Pit bulls would also be subject to higher impound fees.

The proposed animal control bylaw was brought to council for discussion Monday morning, and is meant to replace the District’s outdated one, which dates back to 1977.

Maple Ridge bylaws director Liz Holitzki said the singling out of pit bulls is designed to encourage responsible pet ownership. While both the district and the SPCA receive complaints about problem dogs of all breeds, there is significant public concern about pit bulls in particular.

“It’s not unusual to have a total ban, but that’s not the way to go,” Holitzki told council.

However, while many communities have chosen to enact similar bylaws singling out a particular breed, they have had little positive effect, according to Lorie Chortyk, spokesperson for the B.C. SPCA.

“The issue isn’t the breed of dogs, it’s the dog owners who aren’t being responsible,” she said.

The SPCA doesn’t support breed-specific bans or bylaws, because such legislation punishes responsible dog owners instead of encouraging them, and provides a false sense of security for residents.

Among the breeds most often associated with dog bites, Chortyk said golden retrievers and Chihuahuas are the worst offenders.

“Pit bulls are actually way down the list,” she said.

Other breeds are often mistaken for pit bulls, which has unfairly given the breed a bad reputation.

“Any time there’s a stocky short-haired dog that’s involved in a dog bite and runs off, its automatically a pit bull,” said Chortyk. “But that’s not always the case.”

In some jurisdictions in the U.S., dozens of breeds have been banned over the past decades as problem owners move on to different types of dogs.

“But they are still having problems, because their laws don’t deal with the dog owners.”

Any dog with strong jaws and a prey drive needs to be well-managed, but pit bulls aren’t the only breed to fall into that category. Chortyk suggested offering a discount on licenses to dog owners who can prove their dog has successfully passed obedience school would be more effective.

“That way it’s not punitive to responsible dog owners,” she said.

Requiring all male dogs to be neutered would also help to prevent dog bites, as well as keep the dog population under control.

However, Holitzki noted that the SPCA has a different mandate than Maple Ridge bylaws enforcement, and that it was important for the district to act first to protect residents from aggressive dogs to prevent dog attacks.

“We look to protect the residents as opposed to the animal,” Holitzki said. “But certainly we can wait and react when someone gets bit.”

Councillors also expressed trepidation at including breed-specific language in the bylaw.

“It’s a bit discriminatory,” said Coun. Mike Morden. “I’d like to see these dogs dealt with on an individual basis.”

He added that if the licensing fee is made to be exorbitant, owners of aggressive dogs simply won’t register their dogs with the district.

Mayor Ernie Daykin noted it wasn’t large breeds that posed a threat, in his experience.

“As a paperboy, it wasn’t the big dogs that bit me, it was the little ones,” Daykin said. “But they don’t do as much damage.”
Related story:
Pitbulls have bad rep, keeps people from adopting them:
SPCA Organization urging you to consider bringing one of them into your home

Spoiler!
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
My ex has a pit bull and it's probably the sweetest dog I've ever seen. It's adopted from the local SPCA up near Vernon as the previous owner had obviously done some sort of beating on him. Despite the mistreatment, however, I have never seen a dog act so gingerly around her children. The dog, Priest, basically adopted her youngest daughter (a 5 year old) and basically just followed her around everywhere she went. Not only that, but Priest would just curl up next to you at bed time, lick your face, and go to sleep.

Another friend also has a pit bull and it's much the same story. True, he's a little wary around people he's never met before, but so long as you let him come to you, he will then turn into a giant mush ball.

It's a shame that pit bulls have such a bad reputation, and that there are certain owners that do absolutely nothing to curb their stereotype. There really needs to be more public education to show just how docile these dogs can be.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Fuckin bullshit lol pitbulls are the most loving and kind hearted dogs out there, never ran into a aggressive one ever and doubt I ever will, fuck the stereotypes
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

since we're on the subject, does anyone know of the good local breeders? im looking for a pitty.
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
This is just raciest.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
What the fuck bylaw is that. Don't these people watch Cesar Millan? You would think this cunt Liz Holitzki actually have a TV?

This law is supposed to "encourage responsible pet ownership"? The fuck I don't even.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
"The proposed animal control bylaw was brought to council for discussion Monday morning, and is meant to replace the District’s outdated one, which dates back to 1977."

Why... are pitbulls different now than they were in '77?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
The fuck I don't even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:
Pit bull owners would be required to pay a $200 “aggressive dog” licensing fee annually, and require their dog to be muzzled when off the owner’s property. Pit bulls would also be subject to higher impound fees.

Maple Ridge bylaws director Liz Holitzki said the singling out of pit bulls is designed to encourage responsible pet ownership. While both the district and the SPCA receive complaints about problem dogs of all breeds, there is significant public concern about pit bulls in particular.
Wow I can see how charging me $200 a year to punish me for adopting a neglected pit bull from animal control promotes responsible ownership. Fuck you, you stupid cunt. Not that I live in maple ridge, so it doesn't directly affect me, I have to ask how they haven't learned over the decades of breed scapegoating. Dobermans, german shepards, rottweilers, and now pitbulls.
Vicious as fuck......
Also I'm sure the 2 year old that could barely walk and gave monty a big hug with out warning at the beach, and the 2 month old lab puppy that cuddled and played with him, who were both greeted with nothing but a calm lick and tail wag would agree how terrifying this 10 month old pit bull/shepard cross really is.

Last edited by westopher; 08-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Here is one more of this dangerous monster with the lab puppy
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

This angers me not because of the fact that they are singling out pitbulls, but they are putting up bylaws without even understand the roots of the problems. It's almost always the owner that's at fault when it comes to an agressive dog attack/bite incident, whether that be not training the dog properly, or neglecting the dog. I have a 2 year old lab that used to play with this pitbull, and the pitbull's owner was always complaing about how the dog isn't behaving right but they don't realize the fact that walking the dog for only 15 mins a day and then leaving him out in the yard all day isn't exactly call responsible dog ownership. Having said that, with the right guidance, there's nothing wrong with the pitbull and he was able to socialize and play with my dog quite well, with the occational rough play that I stop immediately. I think a lot of the small dogs are quite yappy and they instigate a lot of negative interaction between dogs, and just because they're small, people brush it off as a non-issue but when a medium to large dog even barks once, they get all up in arms saying how a dog is agressive. /rant
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

BSL laws are are always stupid and never work,they cause more trouble than what they are "suppose" to prevent.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote