REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   I want a Subaru (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671313-i-want-subaru.html)

Canadian Rider 07-23-2012 06:35 PM

I want a Subaru

Looking to get into a newer gen suby. Anyone know of any good forums/sites where I can get info on the good/bad/ugly on the different gens and models of subaru's? This will be more of just a commuter then a serious enthusiast car so I think I'm looking towards a new gen Impreza with a sports package.

Any info would be great!

belaud 07-23-2012 06:37 PM

Non turbo subaru's are gutless and rather bland, I'd suggest at least a WRX, or the 3.6 engine.

roastpuff 07-23-2012 06:38 PM

NASIOC is where you're wanting to look.

Phozy 07-23-2012 06:39 PM

Make sure you get it from Richmond Suburu!

Spoiler!

CorneringArtist 07-23-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phozy (Post 7983738)
Make sure you get it from Richmond Suburu!

Spoiler!

Make sure to get the car in black and ask for the paint protection pack too :troll:.

knight604 07-23-2012 06:49 PM

Ask belaud for his Richmond Subaru experience !

I heard wonderful things!!

Spoiler!

yray 07-23-2012 07:05 PM

don't bother with CVT

nothing like a forester with 170hp on a 4 gear CVT

Shorn 07-23-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 7983782)
don't bother with CVT

nothing like a forester with 170hp on a 4 gear CVT

how can you have a 4 gear CVT?

it was my understanding that CVT don't have gears like a traditional transmission.

anyway regarding subarus, i've never sat in the impreza, but i have sat in the STI and needless to say it is not a car built for comfort at all. very spartan interior and quite ugly in my opinion. it's clear the only focus of the car is to go fast and it shows, which is not a bad thing in itself, it just depends what you are looking for.

if you say you are getting a commuter car i probably wouldn't go for an impreza, cause i imagine the interior is probably even worse than the STI.

the forester is actually pretty nice though.

CorneringArtist 07-23-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 7983851)

it was my understanding that CVT don't have gears like a traditional transmission.

anyway regarding subaru's, i've never sat in the impreza, but i have sat in the STI and needless to say it is not a car built for comfort at all. very spartan interior and quite ugly in my opinion. it's clear the only focus of the car is to go fast and it shows, which is not a bad thing in itself, it just depends what you are looking for.

if you say you are getting a commuter car i probably wouldn't go for an impreza, cause i imagine the interior is probably even worse than the STI.

the forester is actually pretty nice though.

Transmission ECU simulates a "gearshift" to keep stupid people from thinking that their transmission is messed up. Some do the simulation, others (like most Toyota hybrids and the Scion iQ), don't.

yray 07-23-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 7983851)

because you are limited to 4 "gears"or 4 modes or w.e. you want to call it in tiptronic mode

optiblue 07-24-2012 02:30 PM

BRZ?

TurboFC3S 07-24-2012 02:33 PM

+1 for NASIOC

Canadian Rider 07-24-2012 06:13 PM

Right on, thanks for the info!
As for the impreza's being uncomfertable, the new gen Impreza's are more of a mainstream car (in looks and comfort) then they have been in past years. When I first saw them I thought they were pretty ugly/bland but they're growing on me. And yes I know the non-turbo's are gutless but that's a sacrafice I'm willing to make for fuel economy and money.

On a side note I did read the thread about richmond subaru ... :heckno:

belaud 07-24-2012 06:15 PM

The 2.5 vs turbo fuel economy is about 2L/100KM difference, aswell as having to run 91.

The new impreza interiors are VERY appealing, they are amazing coming from a subaru.

Canadian Rider 07-24-2012 06:37 PM

Yeah you're right it's not the fuel economy that's limitting me in buying a wrx it's the price tag. you're going from 17k used to 27k. I'm getting rid of my terrain to save some money on monthly payments, so my price range is under 19k. Plus I NEED to find one with low km's as I drive from kelowna to van and back once a week these days.

yray 07-24-2012 06:39 PM

^ you should be getting a diesel/hybrid then if you plan on doing kelowna/van in the long term

Canadian Rider 07-24-2012 06:49 PM

It shouldn't be long term. Maybe until the end of the year.. but i've already been doing it for a year so I'm used to it. Looking at VW TDI's as well but those are $$$

optiblue 07-25-2012 11:11 AM

Just buy a used subbie

belaud 07-25-2012 11:27 AM

Hybrids are poop on the highway, their fuel economy drops to the same as say a Yaris or Focus.

too_slow 07-25-2012 01:04 PM

Only Forester still uses the ultra-dated 4-spd EAT automatic. Impreza/Outback/Legacy all comes with a CVT that is surprisingly smooth.

The Impreza Premium is a very nice DD, considering how much the interior has improved + ride refinement + much better mileage with the 2.0 CVT package. I've driven one, and I can't tell the diff in performance compared to my beater 05 2.5RS with an automatic.

The new Impreza XV is pretty awesome with the added ride height, though it is pricey.

If you really need AWD, there really aren't much choices in the 20-25k ballpark other than the god-awful Matrix, and the very dated SX4.

too_slow 07-25-2012 01:07 PM

BTW, I drove a mazdaspeed6 from kelowna -> vancouver and back every weekend for almost 3 years. You'll definitely want something with enough power without the car hunting for gears when you're just trying to cruise at 120.

For a test drive, I would probably do it @ the subaru dealership in north van, just so you can check out the performance on the open highway, and the steep hills around the area.

I would also have a look at the base CX-5 with AWD. :)

Sky_High 07-25-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 7985379)
BTW, I drove a mazdaspeed6 from kelowna -> vancouver and back every weekend for almost 3 years. You'll definitely want something with enough power without the car hunting for gears when you're just trying to cruise at 120.

For a test drive, I would probably do it @ the subaru dealership in north van, just so you can check out the performance on the open highway, and the steep hills around the area.

I would also have a look at the base CX-5 with AWD. :)

That's contradicts what you just said...
While the CX-5 would be great in fuel efficiency....that car has next to now power...

Canadian Rider 07-26-2012 01:33 AM

Yeah I'm trying to get out of a SUV type deal right now. I have the GMC Terrain and just not happy with owning a vehicle where the only other people I see driving it are old or soccer moms. Thats not my actual reason for getting rid of it but just adds fuel to the fire so to speak.

170hp + AWD and under 20k for a used 09/10 impreza with the 'sport package' is pretty enticing. Plus I've always loved Impreza's. The only problem I'm having is finding one that's not white/red/blue. Looking for grey or black in the sedan model.

jonnymooshoo 07-26-2012 09:00 AM

I would go with a preowned WRX.. don't bother with the new imprezzas

too_slow 07-26-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky_High (Post 7985550)
That's contradicts what you just said...
While the CX-5 would be great in fuel efficiency....that car has next to now power...

Notice my signature? I have one.
I've taken it to Kelowna/Portland multiple times on road-trips.
Power's not an issue with this vehicle if you're only cruising at 120km/h /65mph