REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Whistler

This particular Whistler trip will be a romantic get-a-way, so please do recommend everything that is a must and for first timers. (I apologize in advance for the newbie questions about Whistler)

* Summertime in Whistler - what is there to do?
* Which hotels to stay at? (How many nights?)
* Best/must eat at restaurants? (Is Araxi worth it? How does it compare to Rim Rock?) - need at least one fancy restaurant recommendation for a special occasion.
* Is going to the spa worth it? If yes, which one?
* Putting the kitchenette to use or eating out? (Grocery here in Van first or is there somewhere to grocery there?)
* Place that are worth checking out?

By the way, how long is the drive up to Whistler? And are the roads smooth?
Advertisement
tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
its about 2 hours of driving depending on your style, but the road is beautiful going up there.
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj.GSR View Post
its about 2 hours of driving depending on your style, but the road is beautiful going up there.
Guess it should be safe for a low-rider?
tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby View Post
This particular Whistler trip will be a romantic get-a-way, so please do recommend everything that is a must and for first timers. (I apologize in advance for the newbie questions about Whistler)

* Summertime in Whistler - what is there to do?
* Which hotels to stay at? (How many nights?)
* Best/must eat at restaurants? (Is Araxi worth it? How does it compare to Rim Rock?) - need at least one fancy restaurant recommendation for a special occasion.
* Is going to the spa worth it? If yes, which one?
* Putting the kitchenette to use or eating out? (Grocery here in Van first or is there somewhere to grocery there?)
* Place that are worth checking out?

By the way, how long is the drive up to Whistler? And are the roads smooth?
1. Summer time to do:
-Peak to Peak
-BBQ at the Peak (part of the pkg on certain nights, they usually do a whole roast pig sometimes half a cow)
-Zipline adventure, or tree top adventure for those afraid of heights
-Bungee jumping
-ATV Tours (can get expensive, but quite fun if u get a 2 seater with ur GF)
-JEEP Salmon Bake, a Jeep wrangler takes you on a guided tour followed by a Salmon Bake
-Mountain biking, if ur GF is not into that, rent 2 valley rentals and do a guided or unguided tour around the valley, really easy ride, and very beautiful
-Kayaking or Canoeing, they offer both guided tour or unguided.

2.Hotel
-Close to the village, Hilton, Westin, Pan Pacific (Both locations are fine), if you are on a budget, Crystal Lodge, Summit.....Pinnacle has really good deals, but its a bit of a walk to the chair lift, not really a big deal cause the walk can be fun.

3. Must Eat
-Cows! best ice cream in whistler IMO
-Avalanche Pizza....great pizza, good price
-Fancy resturant....Araxi I went for seafood tower on the patio for lunch....not bad..a bit pricy, not as good as the 2tier tower at Joe Fortes. Would recommend Sidecut Steakhouse at the 4 Season, or Bearfoot Bistro..simply cause thats the most baller restaurant in Whistler, I went when I was young on my parent's money, but back then I didnt have much appreciation for fine dining so tough for me to comment on whether its worth it.

4. Spa IMO is only good if you are going up as two couples, leave the GF in the SPA, while the guys hit up the bike park.....too much to do in Whistler to waste 1/2 a day at the Spa....guys point of view obviously.

5. If your hotel has a bbq (not sure which ones do), might be a cool dinner idea to go buy some nice steak and grill it yourself, other than that, just eat out, plenty of great food options.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Hey guys, a group of us are going to Whistler at the upcoming long weekend. What activities we can do there? lol. its between season.
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,326 Times in 5,642 Posts
i recommend ziplining if its still available its insane

21 steps was a pretty decent restaurant for the price it's a cheaper alternative to the other fine dining options in a more casual setting
Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
all the fun stuff is closed right now, if you're going right now. its in between seasons. p2p gondola closed, chairlifts and bike tracks are closed, zipline closed, only stores and restaurants are open.

I like 21 steps. However i've never had a bad meal at any of the restaurants there. I suggest if you are up there, do not go to any of the chain restaurants (eg. earls/keg)

Mongoli grille is half price weekdays (mon to thurs), if you buy a drink. its a really great deal for the amount of food you get.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
RS controls my life!

VRBOŽ is Vacation Rentals By Owner
found a cabin with a hot tub for an okay price.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

vrbo is solid. Used it in the summer to rent a pretty decent condo.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote