REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Video: Constant rumbling sound when braking. Help?

You might want to turn up your speakers a little bit and listen closely. You can really hear the noise towards the end. In this video, I'll accelerate in the first part of the video, and brake with regular force. When I'm braking, you can hear the rumble rumble rumble sound, as if I'm going over constant bumps on the road. I don't think I physically feel the rumbling though. If I'm not braking, you can still hear it really faintly. I noticed that the noise became louder when I had my wheel all the way to one side, making a U-turn at the end of a small street.

Any ideas on what this is? I changed the brake pads, and then not too long after, I left my car in my backyard for about 3 months without touching it. Also had a check engine light on for a while now, but I decided to pump up the tires since they were getting a bit flat, and the check engine light disappeared. Hopefully the tires were triggering the light and it doesn't come back.

Advertisement
dryjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
my thought is "warped" rotors... its a common problem amongst honda/acura's i hear.

the rotor is technically not warped however the brake pads become uneven on how they sit on the rotor causing the noise/vibration.

I have the same issue with mine where I hear the problem rather than feeling it, i believe its the suspension of the car helping me not feel it. A fix would be to get the rotors resurfaced and get higher quality brake pads ive been told. The reason you must resurface the rotor is that sediments of the brake pad would be left on the rotor and over time they get rock hard which causes the "rumbling".

unless you have drum brakes, then i don't know.

edit: I agree with G-spec... I am getting new rotors and pads because I have been told the problem will come back if i do not change the rotors.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
if the car itself shudders a little bit, it's most likely your rotors need to be replaced as they are warped... happens after some years to everyone....

don't let anybody fool you into "resurfacing" them to save money, 4 brand new rotors aren't expensive at all.... i got a performance pack of 4 rotors and ceramic brake pads all for close to $400 and good brand name quality stuff too, not some ebay bullshit
Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I think I can confirm that there is physically no movement. Only the noise. Unless like nabs said, the suspension is just minimizing the feeling to the point that I don't notice it.

I googled the problem beforehand and a few people also suggested that it's the rotors. But I'm just looking for a few more opinions.

The car was fine when I left it without running it for 3 months, the problem just suddenly started...

Thanks for the ideas guys, anyone else?
dryjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

how long ago did you change your pads, did you machine the rotors, are the rotors rusty, could be a siezed caliper the has prematurley worn an inside pad down to the metal, check the caliper slide pins and try to squeeze in the caliper piston
stonehouster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

it has to be the warped rotors.. my friend's civic is having the same issue
savioyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryjesus View Post
You might want to turn up your speakers a little bit and listen closely. You can really hear the noise towards the end. In this video, I'll accelerate in the first part of the video, and brake with regular force. When I'm braking, you can hear the rumble rumble rumble sound, as if I'm going over constant bumps on the road. I don't think I physically feel the rumbling though. If I'm not braking, you can still hear it really faintly. I noticed that the noise became louder when I had my wheel all the way to one side, making a U-turn at the end of a small street.

Any ideas on what this is? I changed the brake pads, and then not too long after, I left my car in my backyard for about 3 months without touching it. Also had a check engine light on for a while now, but I decided to pump up the tires since they were getting a bit flat, and the check engine light disappeared. Hopefully the tires were triggering the light and it doesn't come back.

2002 Honda CR-V Constant rumble when braking - YouTube

did you hit a curb you beacuse u could bent the wheeel hub and that affect the rotors?. do you feel pulsation on the brake pedal when applying it? if so, i suspect a warped rotors. have it measured and if it still can be machined have it machined.
karyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
I'd say warped rotors as well...
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

i had a similar problem just changing pads to some hawk hps brake pads seemed to fix it
ekcivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Just buy new rotors
BMAKL is offline   Reply With Quote