REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Not sure what to do...

I currently work as a staff accountant and got notice today that my hours are being cut from 40/week to 20/week. I knew it was coming, but there was discussions it would be reduced to 30 not 20. Anyway it is now 20. The pay is not enough to maintain my basic lifestyle/bills. I have enough savings to pay off my debt obligations after which i'll be living paycheck to paycheck.

Twist: In September I'll be attending some job recruiting events for potential jobs that start next year (aka CA Recruit). These events happen during day-time and I had flex days that I would've used to attend these events.

I'm confused as to what I should do now.
1) should I stick with 20hrs per week until October 1st and start looking for ft positions after?
2) should I apply for a new full time accounting position (this will hinder my ability to attend recruiting events)
3) Should I find a pt 20hr customer service job(I'm over qualified for most csr/retail jobs- so this might be a challenge)
4) other - suggest me something

thanks in advance for all feedback
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

Do all at the same time
1) stick to your 20 hr job, do not leave until you land another job
2) beef up your resume
3) apply everywhere, find headhunters, in & out of your desired field. If you get called in for interviews then use it for the practice before the CA recruiting event, the more the better. Always ask for feedback. You can always decline offers and quit jobs
Wetordry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

My resume does need an overhaul.

But my question still remains - do I find a ft position in the accounting field or take a pt service/retail position.

I will definitely keep my 20hr job until I find a new one or additional one.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
^damn, that sucks man... it seems as if there has been a massive lay off for a lot of people on RS lately.

Even though ur not laid off, the fact that your company is going through a budget-cut just goes to show how stable it really is... Imo, stick with the 20 hour job you have now, and start hunting for both options and give it a few months grace period where you can pick and choose between the job opportunities that come up. If after a year, you are still w/o any options, I'd go for the first opportunity that pops up. But you seem like a pretty smart guy, so that shouldn't really be too big an issue.

How would you be overqualified for a customer service job? Are you obligated to list out all your previous job experiences? Couldn't you cut out some of the ones that would sorta highlight your overqualification?

Lemme know man, I'm very curious to see how this goes for you

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Keep the 20hr a week job. Attend the recruiting thing in september. If you find a position for next year it doesn't make sense to look for another full time accounting position.

If you don't find a job in the recruiting thing, then start looking for another full time job.

You can work a part time customer service/retail job along with your current job while waiting for those other options if you really need to.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post

How would you be overqualified for a customer service job? Are you obligated to list out all your previous job experiences? Couldn't you cut out some of the ones that would sorta highlight your overqualification?

Lemme know man, I'm very curious to see how this goes for you

Overqualified in the sense, I have 5+ years of accounting experience , 4+ years of accounting related education. 2+ years of supervisory level experience at a retail environment. 2.5 years of retail/mcjobs (these are not even in my resume any more =\ ) My entire resume is setup for climbing up the accounting ladder.

I'm no HR expert but what would I say to "So you have a lot of experience as an accountant, and want to be an accountant, why do you want to work for Rogers as a Customer Retention Agent?"

The CEO wants me to stick around and not look for another job. They are confident things will turn around in the next couple months but they can't guarantee anything. Then again CEO's see everything with rose colored glasses.

If anyone has hookups to part time CSR gigs - PM me. I will buy you a beer from my first paycheck I know there is a guy here who works for Vancouver 311 - thats the kind of place I'd like to work at as CSR.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
What about part-time sales?

I worked in the liquor industry for almost 4 years on a part-time basis on the retail side, but I've met lots of people who work on the sales side for importers or the major breweries. The money ain't grand, but the people, parties, and alcohol knowledge you gain make up for it.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
MiX iT Up!

^ I'm open to it. Where do I start? If you have any suggestions - PM me

I even talked to a friend who works at BC Liquor Distribution about warehouse work , but they are no hiring.

I've looked at Mark Anthony Group but I have not seen any p/t opportunities.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Its funny that you guys mention liquor distribution branch because my mom works in the IT department and I do occasional work at a different department. If youre looking for a relatively more stable job, id suggest elsewhere. lDB is going through a major budjet cut and has already started implementing a privitization plan so they are losing a ton of government funding. However, if youre actually thinking of a warehouse job as in actually working in the warehouse, id drop by head office right beside rupert station as ive seen a few postings here and there on the bulletin board.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I currently work as a staff accountant and got notice today that my hours are being cut from 40/week to 20/week. I knew it was coming, but there was discussions it would be reduced to 30 not 20. Anyway it is now 20. The pay is not enough to maintain my basic lifestyle/bills. I have enough savings to pay off my debt obligations after which i'll be living paycheck to paycheck.

Twist: In September I'll be attending some job recruiting events for potential jobs that start next year (aka CA Recruit). These events happen during day-time and I had flex days that I would've used to attend these events.

I'm confused as to what I should do now.
1) should I stick with 20hrs per week until October 1st and start looking for ft positions after?
2) should I apply for a new full time accounting position (this will hinder my ability to attend recruiting events)
3) Should I find a pt 20hr customer service job(I'm over qualified for most csr/retail jobs- so this might be a challenge)
4) other - suggest me something
thanks in advance for all feedback

With your level of experience, forget the CSR type jobs. Go talk to an accounting recruiter and get yourself something to augment or even replace your 20 hours.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

What are some reputed/well known agencies?

I've looked through Dulay Burke and Accountemps already.