REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
straight from the fields of squamton

amp time!

So it's finally time for me to re-do my system, For too long i've been running a PPI5440 5 channel to my polk SR10 and stock front speakers.

while I'm very happy with the output from the system, the 30w into my front speakers and 200w into the sub seems enough, but the amp shuts down whenever it gets hot out and the stock fronts want more juice, as does the sub.

I initially planned to swing by a sponsor to grab a 75x2 and a 500x1 amp and call it a day, then false floor the shit out of my cruze with a Type-R 15 i've had sitting around, but then I came upon this

JBL GTO-3EZ 3-Channel GTO Series Class AB/D Car Amplifier

pretty much exactly what I want, but in one tight lil package. Do any of the sponsors carry such an item? or shall i just get 2 amps?
I kind of want to keep a center channel option open as well, which this amp won't help with at all, but it's not 100% yet

any ideas? I won't order online, only local support, but I really like this amp!

any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
We just did a JL XD700/5 today in a Sienna and it was pretty powerful and super tiny! That said, I honestly think you need at least 600-700 watts to your sub on its own. Anything less and that Tpye R will barely move. A big 2 or 4 channel and then you're good to go. We have quite a few amps to choose from all starting at about $179 and going up from there.

You know I'll hook ya up dude! I can even design a super high output ported enclosure for your Type R so you can rattle the shit outta your Cruze.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Thanks mikey, you know I'll come see you when the government cheque comes in!

I need something to power my fronts too, at least 50x2@4 and the 15 i have gets pretty loud with the 200 I've tried it with, but it's in a spec built slut ported box from when my brother had it, I want to go sealed and have a ton of trunk room still, meaning I need over 500 as you said heh. you got anything that can do what i need for under $500
Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

so the check came in, started some research into the false floor, and I ran into this problem.

the 2 subs i have to use

First problem, sub is too tall

second problem, the sub i wanted to use is waaay taller

So not sure what to do now, the whole plan was to save space by false flooring it, but now I'm gonna have to raise the whole floor up, losing a fair bit of room. I can come up about 3 inches and not have to worry, but that will give me about an inch with the polk, and no where with the Type-r

the polk does have an interesting vent on the bottom so it may work, what you think?

how much room do i need to keep the vent away from the bottom of the box?

thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
You'll need at least 2 inches of clearance for the Type R's and the SR can be pretty much on the floor because it is side-ventec. Maybe give it about half an inchjust to be safe.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

raise the floor - problem solved