REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Best path to take to get N? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/671889-best-path-take-get-n.html)

whEEls7 08-05-2012 11:49 PM

Best path to take to get N?

Like many, I have waited to get both my L and N and now I'm 19 and kinda dont know jack shit about driving. I have nobody who can teach me how to drive and I guess I'm gonna have to end up paying for a driving school or driving lessons. I don't even have a car for the road test.

Rather than trying to find all this online because most of it is american or other provinces, what is the best way to go about getting your N if

1. You don't know how to drive/never driven
2. Don't even have a car for road test
3. Don't have anybody willing to loan you a car/teach you how to drive (forever alone)

And by best I mean cheapest. Because I am poor as fuck

thanksbrahs

belaud 08-05-2012 11:54 PM

1. Get a driving school, they will teach you.
2. Get a driving school, they will rent the car to you on your exam date.
3. Get a driving school, they will rent the car to you on your exam date.

whEEls7 08-05-2012 11:57 PM

I kinda cant afford driving school, it's really expensive.

Would something like this work?

ICBC Certified Class 7/5 pratical driving instructor - Vancouver Services - Kijiji Vancouver Canada.

How many hours is necessary to really be able to ace my road test?

nabs 08-06-2012 12:02 AM

you don't really need said amount of hours, just as long as you feel comfortable behind the wheel...

unless regulations have changed since i got my N, i don't know.

donjalapeno 08-06-2012 12:03 AM

K so you make a thread and ask about opinions on a first car andddddd you dont even have your license yet :fulloffuck:

:gtfo:

whEEls7 08-06-2012 12:04 AM

Hmm, okay.

So what would be the best course of action? Study the learner's book thoroughly and then spend 2 hours asking all the questions I need and driving for the first time, then paying $90 to borrow car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfGang (Post 7995336)
K so you make a thread and ask about opinions on a first car andddddd you dont even have your license yet :fulloffuck:

:gtfo:

Well I'm handling it all this month, what's wrong? I'll be getting both at around the same time.

El Bastardo 08-06-2012 12:10 AM

1) Geaux Saints

2) Its best if you have loads of practical experience and feel comfortable behind the wheel. Usually those instructors will also tell you what they expect from you on the text.

Limitless 08-06-2012 12:11 AM

You don't need to bring your own car for the road test, ICBC should have one for you?

LP700-4 08-06-2012 12:12 AM

You do know you need a supervisor when you have ur L right? That means 1 year of driving only when you can get someone 25+ with a class 5 to watch you.

Unless I'm missing something in ur post, you don't even have your L yet right?

belaud 08-06-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limitless (Post 7995340)
You don't need to bring your own car for the road test, ICBC should have one for you?

Nope, you either have a car, borrow a car, or "rent" one from a driving school.

They do not judge by practical hours, look at all the C lais on the road, they're garbage at driving, yet they still don't learn from the mistakes they make.

The thing is, they assess your comfort level, if you aren't comfortable being on the road, neither are they.

nabs 08-06-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limitless (Post 7995340)

ICBC does not have their own cars to test you, you either bring your own/borrowed/rented vehicle or you are SOL.

whEEls7 08-06-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 7995341)
You do know you need a supervisor when you have ur L right? That means 1 year of driving only when you can get someone 25+ with a class 5 to watch you.

Unless I'm missing something in ur post, you don't even have your L yet right?

Yes I have my L. I need to get my N and do the class 7 test.
I am just not sure how I am suppose to prepare for it. I have no car and cant afford the $5000 20 hour packages the scammy driving instructors offer

Datsun 08-06-2012 12:27 AM

You have no money for driving lessons but you want to buy a car already...?

On the off chance that you arent an awful troll, please sell your computer and any unnecessary material wealth to fund a few hours of driving lessons. No on knows how to help you if you have no friends or other people who can supervise/teach you to drive for free in prep for N test

muteki 08-06-2012 12:28 AM

Why would you need 20 hours? What about your parents or friends? You can't absolutely be forever alone. I swear I took like 5 lessons when I got my N. -_-

NLY 08-06-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whEEls7 (Post 7995355)
my parents were killed outside an opera theatre when i was but a boy

:moderatorban:

whEEls7 08-06-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsundere (Post 7995351)
Why would you need 20 hours? What about your parents or friends? You can't absolutely be forever alone. I swear I took like 5 lessons when I got my N. -_-

LP700-4 08-06-2012 12:32 AM

Oh so you do have your L. We're in the same boat then.

I got my L last year October, Although I am fortunate that my parents taught me and let me drive the very next day. To this day I still haven't taken 1 lesson, and I'm driving around pretty much everywhere with confidence.

I would say that you should go for at least 8-10 hours with a private instructor. It's not only about knowing how to drive, its also about knowing how to react and how to do what in what situation.

Even though I CAN drive, I'm going to get maybe 4-6 hours in before I take my test. Also the instructors teach to how to sell to your examiner that you can drive.

belaud 08-06-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Now can we close this thread.

whEEls7 08-06-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belaud (Post 7995362)
Now can we close this thread.

why

fs604 08-06-2012 12:48 AM

:suspicious: batman?? not sure if srs

yogenfruz 08-06-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

This is why. Stop toying around and be serious if you want a serious answer.

Here's the answer to your main issue:

Stop worrying about what car to buy; spend the money on either driving lessons from a school, or ask a family member.
Spend enough time as it takes to get comfortable behind the wheel.
Take N test, walk away proud.

When I passed my test, I had maybe 3 "lessons" the rest was just me driving my parents around town to get the bearings of the vehicle and learn road rules.

Matlock 08-06-2012 12:49 AM

When I went to take driving lessons from some Chinese guy in a Corolla with 2 steering wheels it only costed me $40. I don't know how much it would cost now, maybe $50?

I didn't go all fancy and take Young Drivers or whatever the hell it's called and I can drive just fine. A generic driving instructor can teach you just fine.

If you can't afford 4 or 5 lessons of that then I don't think you'll even be able to afford a car or gas. Get a job, earn some money. Nothing is free.

1exotic 08-06-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whEEls7 (Post 7995367)
why

because your're racist and have disrespected this forum with your inappropriate and absurd behaviour, absolutely disgusting... It makes me sick to my stomach that people like you think you can get away with it BUT GOOD LUCK.

whEEls7 08-06-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogenfruz (Post 7995376)
This is why. Stop toying around and be serious if you want a serious answer.

what about answering my thread seriously and taking the time to read it

"Hey guys, how do I get A to B without doing C? I can't do C"
"Oh, you should do C."

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7995380)
because your're racist

what lol

whEEls7 08-06-2012 12:55 AM

wow, good to know this forum is full of butthurt keyboard jockeys who love to put down others