REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
im down, i plan on starting in Paris and going east/south east
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

10 Days is enough for maybe 2 cities. This is not "backpaking" IMO. I went for 3.5 months and lived out of a 50L bag. Your size is much much too big.

You're better off picking 2-3 places to go, take a regular suitcase and go see 3 major cities. Keep them close ish together aswell because train travel takes a lot of time. Example, Paris - Amsterdam - London etc.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #28

10 days as well might as well just stay in Hotels
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
when making my package there were hotels offering sales that were cheaper than staying in a hostel so you may want to shop around
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
10 days as well might as well just stay in Hotels
No way.
Hostels are the way to go to meet people and have a blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
10 Days is enough for maybe 2 cities.
You're better off picking 2-3 places to go, take a regular suitcase and go see 3 major cities. Keep them close ish together aswell because train travel takes a lot of time. Example, Paris - Amsterdam - London etc.
Agree: 10 days, 2 cities, 1 country
Disagree: regular suitcases suck huge on cobblestone streets and can be a bitch to carry if there is no public transit directly to your hostel

Worst thing you can do is spend days travelling on a 10 day trip
Airtransat.ca for a flight and stay close to where you fly in/out

Experience the city, don't just sight see

www.neweuropetours.eu when/if it fits your itinerary
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #31
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
when making my package there were hotels offering sales that were cheaper than staying in a hostel so you may want to shop around
Thanks for the heads up. I looked into this as well. A hostel for 2 people runs about $90/night. I can get a cheap hotel for that price but I will probably stick with hostels. It's easier to meet people.
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #32
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocardia View Post
Disagree: regular suitcases suck huge on cobblestone streets and can be a
Agree, it may be tough to lock up a suitcase in a locker. These hike backpacks have incredible support on your hips. It's painless carrying the pack around.

I'm going to get a 50 or 60L pack from MEC. Those are on are sale right now. I think a 38L pack may be a little too small.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #33
F3

For a 10 day trip 38L is more than enough Imo. Pack light, your shoulders and back will thank you on travel days.
F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #34

38L is more than enough for 10 days man... MORE than enough. I had maybe the equivelant of 40L in my bag and felt I brough too much. You would be amazed at how much you can stuffinto a 40L bag.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #35
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Depending on where you go, it might still be hot. Head down to the outlet to the Under Armor store and buy yourself a bunch of tees. They pack really light, compact and if it's hot out, you'll feel way more comfortable especially with a bag on your back.

But yeah, pack light. If it's 10 days, bring extra memory cards for your camera and leave the laptop at home. Leave pretty much everything that you don't need every single day.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #36

You guys who only bring a camera, do you dump your pics online somewhere or do u just stash away memory cards? I'd be worried about having my pack stolen and memory cards lost
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #37
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You can't really prevent theft. It really depends what kind of photographer you are. If you just carry a point and shoot, data service / wifi will provide enough bandwidth for backup. I think the key is to prevent theft in the first place, before you go, spend sometime with the packed pack and figure out where you are going to stow things like wallets and cameras etc. Preferably with someone around to spot where your weakness are. It is so easy to spot whois a newb at European airports, just by the way people put their things.

Quote:
You guys who only bring a camera, do you dump your pics online somewhere or do u just stash away memory cards? I'd be worried about having my pack stolen and memory cards lost
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #38
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Don't let your expensive shit out of your sight? When you have to, lock it up or leave it with your hostel's staff.

10 days, just bring enough memory cards. You can buy 10x16GB cards for $100 if you really wanted to. That's 5000+ pics even with my 30MB per pic file size.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #39

I'm talking moreso about like a long term trip, if and when I go I'd like to get a DSLR or a very nice point and shoot, I guess you could always copy the memory cards and mail them back home as well
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocardia View Post
No way.
Hostels are the way to go to meet people and have a blast
Hell yeah, don't forget the walking tours.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe | Home of the Famous Free Tour

I made sure to take these tours if it's available in the city I go to.

Here's a tip, just go to the group of ladies in the tour and be like, "Is this the new europe tour group ?" You are set.

Meet great people, local and foreigners traveling and studying abroad. Trust me, you'll have more notches on your belt after you're done your trip.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #41
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
I need to get a backpack as well. For 10 days, is a 60L bag a good size? I will have my laptop with me as well.
For my backpacking trip in asia, I bought this bag in the arc'teryx outlet in in north van:

Arc'teryx tango

It's only around $200. MSRP is $600 (but hey, who believes MSRP pricing anyways).
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #42
I STILL don't get it

I can't find any direct flights from YVR to Milan, Italy (MXP-Malpensa Intl.). Flight to Milan with layover is around 20hrs. A direct flight to frankfrut is 9hrs.

Does any places have any direct flights to Milan International Airport?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #43
I STILL don't get it

Wow, why are there so many pick pockets in Europe? There are so many that the police don't even bother with it.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #44
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
^ it's much better nowadays, theres cops everywhere in Rome comapred to the video. There were three alpha romeos carabineri cars at the fountain and they do car patrols too in those small streets, Italians

Milan and Florence on the other hand has shit load of gypsies, so watch out. But you can tell them apart from regular people miles away.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #45

Man....I'm jelly. Any other destinations that are great places to visit, and aren't going to cost me over 1000 for the flight lol?

I guess the only option is Mexico?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #46
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I was looking at going to Greece to visit my buddy and the cheapest package option is in an area called Psirri and all the reviews are saying its filled with criminals and how they were robbed even in front of the hotel etc etc also stating the staff is worried for the travelers because even staff have been robbed while on the job (supposedly there's police all over the area too)

asked my buddy if its as bad as they make out and he's like "its best you stay away from there" lol
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #47

I just did 2 weeks in Germany and Austria last month and it was not nearly enough time. In ten days you are not going to see anything at all. I flew into Munich and used it as a base for daytrips to Salzburg and Innsbruck, then went to Nuremberg, then to Dresden and finally to Berlin and Potsdam. I could have easily spent a week in Berlin by itself, but I only got three days there.

I stayed in hotels because I went with my family, so I'm not sure about hostels, but hotels are definitely an expensive way to go, especially in high season.

And people are right, regular suitcases SUCK when travelling from city to city. I had to haul 6 suitcases off and on DB trains for the entire trip.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #48

Your cheapest flight in/out will be Frankfurt or London. Two major hubs and the best pricing will be there.

Look into flying into Frankfurt then taking a RyanAir flight from Frankfurt to wherever you want to go. These flights are DIRT cheap however they typically fly out of the airports which are a bit further from the cities. For example my flight to London came in at London Stanstead which is not one of the big ones and flew from Memmingem Germany which is about an hour east of Munich and is small.

I travelled with a pack for 3 months with my wallet usually in my back pocket or whatever and never had an issue. I only had my big bag with me when going to a new hostel and when travelling around the cities doing sightseeing I tried to blend in as much as I could and never had a problem. That being said I was always aware of where it was and the people around me.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #49
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Did Contiki European Discovery last spring. 10 countries in 12 days. Way too many cities and your are on a bus tour where you have to go with the tour scheduling. The upside is you hit all the best destinations but you lack flexibility to stay longer in cities or leave early. Lots of young people on the tour there to have fun. It was an awesome trip and I don't regret it for a second.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #50
I don't get it

you need to seriously consider a contiki tour as they offer exactly what you expect - a lot in a short span of time. You will not be able to hit the ground running in 10 days.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote