REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Apple invented the IDEA. They were a BUSINESS. Steve Jobs, as a business man, had these ideas and put them together and MARKETED it off as the next generation thing. They hardly "invented" new technology.
Advertisement
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3m View Post
I wouldn't say invent as in make something out of the blue because every inventions is an improvement of something else.
I would say Apple is often one of the first to utilize current technology and put it into consumer goods. Of course, their product coupled with a great marketing and legal patent team makes them look like they invented everything.

Here are some stuff that Apple is first in a high production / demand consumer product:
iPod: High capacity HDD (at that time) and arguably the first successful online music store
iOS: Multi-touch, slide-to-unlock, rubberband effect when scrolling, App store
Mac OS: mouse and mouse pointer, GUI (late 80s / early 90s)
Laptop line up: Unibody construction (somewhat marketing but other companies followed after it), Magnetic charging port
iPad: tablet that runs on a finger based software vs. pointer based software found in competitor tablets.

What Apple do best is to drop current technology and push for change. They dropped:
- 8" Floppy for smaller sized floppy
- Floppy disk for CD/DVD
- Now they are in transition to drop CD/DVD for digital cloud
Pretty much everything you posted is wrong.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #28

If Apple was a car company it would sue other car company's for having round tires.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Even though Apple did not invent anything I have to say without them our use of technology will not as be as mainstream or with the support from the public or developers...

what I mean is before Apple came about, most software for smartphones were half ass at best. They were no where near the quality of it is today. This is because Apple demanded the highest quality for their smartphones, thus setting the bar high for the rest of the industry.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Pretty much everything you posted is wrong.

the first mouse - YouTube
Before you call me out on everything is wrong with the first mouse video. Please re-read what I wrote.
I never say Apple INVENTED the mouse. I said they are first for high production consumer product that uses many current technology (at that time) including a mouse.
Same goes for Multitouch for the iOS. Another company invented it and Apple used it in their mobile devices and I don't recall any of the HTC and other companies touch screen phone had multitouch before the iPhone.
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't say invent as in make something out of the blue because every inventions is an improvement of something else.
I would say Apple is often one of the first to utilize current technology and put it into consumer goods. Of course, their product coupled with a great marketing and legal patent team makes them look like they invented everything.

Here are some stuff that Apple is first in a high production / demand consumer product:
iPod: High capacity HDD (at that time) and arguably the first successful online music store
iOS: Multi-touch, slide-to-unlock, rubberband effect when scrolling, App store
Mac OS: mouse and mouse pointer, GUI (late 80s / early 90s)
Laptop line up: Unibody construction (somewhat marketing but other companies followed after it), Magnetic charging port
iPad: tablet that runs on a finger based software vs. pointer based software found in competitor tablets.

What Apple do best is to drop current technology and push for change. They dropped:
- 8" Floppy for smaller sized floppy
- Floppy disk for CD/DVD
- Now they are in transition to drop CD/DVD for digital cloud
Apple wasnt the first to do any of those.. Apple just gets all shit and puts it together and hopes it works out...

Quote:
Before you call me out on everything is wrong with the first mouse video. Please re-read what I wrote.
I never say Apple INVENTED the mouse. I said they are first for high production consumer product that uses many current technology (at that time) including a mouse.
Same goes for Multitouch for the iOS. Another company invented it and Apple used it in their mobile devices and I don't recall any of the HTC and other companies touch screen phone had multitouch before the iPhone.
The DiamondTouch table is a multi-touch, interactive PC interface product from Circle Twelve Inc.this is cool as multiple people sits around this table and can all do shit at once, this came out in 2001. What year did the iPhone came out!!
Want more history, "A breakthrough occurred in 1991, when Pierre Wellner published a paper on his multi-touch “Digital Desk”, which supported multi-finger and pinching motions."

Like i said, Apple just take stuff and craps it into their products... They are sneaky in that they took the patents but didnt really invented anything...

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 08-08-2012 at 04:40 PM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

i dunno about u guys but when i buy something i dont give a FUCK who invented it. i buy presidents choice light bulb cause they last long and are cheap. tho i respect the guy, when i buy light bulb i dont give a fuck about thomas edison

i am going to buy a samsung because i like how it looks/works, its cheaper than an iphone and for the functionality i need it gives me what i need. i could care leas if apple invented something or if people prefer iphones - good for them. this whole samsung vs apple thing goig on now is retarded and is just a big pr strategy like the mac vs pc one (which actually made ppl view apple as a bully)
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
At the end of the day, who cares if they've invented anything or not. What matters is if they are able to produce things that people want to buy.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #34
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
lol the thing with all the lawsuits done by apple is, since all the companies are seeing the profits made by apple, they all want to do something similar and apple is being a big baby because then everyone is eating into their profits..
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #35

Thanked 3,830 Times in 877 Posts
most people dont realize that the biggest innovation in recent years is the Itunes platform. itunes is what ties all the big Apple products together. remember when you had to manually drag and drop files into your MP3 player to create the playlist you wanted? Itunes eliminated that by allowing you to sync your playlists (or even entire libraries with the 60gb ipods) so that you could always have the same music on the go.

Apple recognized the need for portable music/media, saw the inefficiencies in existing products, and created something that met those needs. yes, MP3 players already existed, but the ipod wasnt the "invention", itunes was. and it was itunes that locked you into buying Apple's ipod (and so forth).

innovation is about creativity. you don't have to come up with something no one's ever heard of or thought of in order to be innovative. finding new ways to present something that already exists is also innovative and creative. it's like fashion, we come up with new designs and styles all the time, but in the end, they're still clothes. yet, we have all these fashion designers who "come up with" new styles.

suing other companies is nothing new. it is a strategy. it holds up other companies from doing things, buys yourself time to do other things, or gets you extra money in settlements. business is not about helping the world advance, it is about growth and $$, anything else is just a bonus. there are obviously downsides to suing everybody. it creates bad blood and that's why other companies frown upon it, but if you've weighed the consequences and determined it is in your favor to do it, why not? if you're playing within the rules, you're playing within the rules.
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #36
HELP ME PLS!!!

The underlying issue here is not whether if Apple is an INVENTOR, or an INNOVATOR. It's the way Apple sues their competitors and business partners (ie. Samsung) for infringing on what they believe is their technology like having "rounded corners" and "multi-touch display" on their devices. They ACT like they are the INVENTORS of these techs, but they are NOT. They are solely doing this to eliminate their competitors and prevent innovation with poor ground.

Like another poster recommended, imagine Toyota suing Honda for having rounded tires on their vehicles. It's ridiculous.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #37
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I agree with the guys saying "who cares who invented what". Steve Jobs might have taken ideas from others but he made them into mainstream products people wanted and killed for and you can't fault him for that.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
They are solely doing this to eliminate their competitors and prevent innovation with poor ground.
it's a business, of course it wants to eliminate competitors.

prevent innovation? businesses don't care. less competition = more money. money > world growth and innovation
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
suing other companies is nothing new. it is a strategy. it holds up other companies from doing things, buys yourself time to do other things, or gets you extra money in settlements. business is not about helping the world advance, it is about growth and $$, anything else is just a bonus. there are obviously downsides to suing everybody. it creates bad blood and that's why other companies frown upon it, but if you've weighed the consequences and determined it is in your favor to do it, why not? if you're playing within the rules, you're playing within the rules.
In the business world, suing your competitors is nothing new. It's a common practice; however, if you are going to sue, don't sue competitors that are continuously sourcing you parts. Apple tends to sue do this to many of their business partners. It shows poor business ethics. If you hate Samsung that much, and file multiple lawsuits in multiple countries, then don't SOURCE parts from them for your devices. The way I see it, it's a douchebag move.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
it's a business, of course it wants to eliminate competitors.

prevent innovation? businesses don't care. less competition = more money. money > world growth and innovation
The competitors that they are suing are also their BUSINESS PARTNERS. That's where I have problems with.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #41

Quote:
The competitors that they are suing are also their BUSINESS PARTNERS. That's where I have problems with.
as much of a dbag move as it is, it's really pretty genius. sure, the partners could just stop selling them parts, but then that would be a HUGE loss in sales. forcing Apple to find other partners to source from could hurt themselves more than it would hurt Apple. i dont like Apple, but i have to give them props.

if you really want to argue for world growth/innovation, i guess you could say that, by preventing others from developing similar technology, it's forcing them to have to think even further ahead and come up with something even better, something way beyond what currently exists.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #42
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
People keep saying "who cares who invented what?".....EXACTLY, customers generally agree with that, but the problem arises when Apple is filing lawsuits against other companies for building shit that looks similar from all the way across the room......By doing so, they are wanting to prevent other companies to advance...when in all reality, their own products all have other companies ingredients, so it's rather hypocritical...

That's the entire point of the video...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #43
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
if you really want to argue for world growth/innovation, i guess you could say that, by preventing others from developing similar technology, it's forcing them to have to think even further ahead and come up with something even better, something way beyond what currently exists.
I'm not worried about their competitors developing similar technology, as companies like Samsung is leaps and bounds ahead of Apple in hardware (bend-able AMOLED screen) and software (Android) innovation. Apple implemented a notification slide-down drawer on iOS 5, but Google isn't suing them for stealing their tech.

I just don't like Apple's business practices and the way they sue their partners on technology that they think its their own.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #44

Thanked 1,596 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
People keep saying "who cares who invented what?".....EXACTLY, customers generally agree with that, but the problem arises when Apple is filing lawsuits against other companies for building shit that looks similar from all the way across the room......By doing so, they are wanting to prevent other companies to advance...when in all reality, their own products all have other companies ingredients, so it's rather hypocritical...

Agreed. It's obvious now that people have been replying to the OPs title and no longer the actual video.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #45

i just don't like the possible outcomes if Apple does win

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #46
resident Oil Guru

Click wheel?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #47

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Samsung Calls BS On Apple's Charges Of Copying @ TeamCoco.com
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Click wheel?
Nope.

Who invented and designed iPod? What font does iPod use? Where can I buy iPod? @ EveryiPod.com

Most reports, including Wired article "Inside Look at Birth of the iPod", indicate that the basic idea for the iPod and iTunes was originally conceived by Tony Fadell, an independent contractor who shopped the idea around to several companies including Apple. Fadell and a team of designers, engineers, and programmers worked together on the final product. This article also notes that the late Steve Jobs "molded the device's shape, feel, and design", no doubt with Jonathan Ive, the director of Apple's Industrial Design Group.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #49
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Nope.

Who invented and designed iPod? What font does iPod use? Where can I buy iPod? @ EveryiPod.com

Most reports, including Wired article "Inside Look at Birth of the iPod", indicate that the basic idea for the iPod and iTunes was originally conceived by Tony Fadell, an independent contractor who shopped the idea around to several companies including Apple. Fadell and a team of designers, engineers, and programmers worked together on the final product. This article also notes that the late Steve Jobs "molded the device's shape, feel, and design", no doubt with Jonathan Ive, the director of Apple's Industrial Design Group.
Fadell worked at Apple??

Also,

Apple Wins Patents for their Iconic Click Wheel & iPhone Gesturing - Patently Apple ?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #50
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post

Quote:
I'm not worried about their competitors developing similar technology, as companies like Samsung is leaps and bounds ahead of Apple in hardware (bend-able AMOLED screen) and software (Android) innovation. Apple implemented a notification slide-down drawer on iOS 5, but Google isn't suing them for stealing their tech.

I just don't like Apple's business practices and the way they sue their partners on technology that they think its their own.
Its because APPLE believes that how consumers use and see a certain product is part of their branding. Its how APPLE protects itself as a brand.

I can see why, rectangular phone, and all that jazz, its the basic look of any device nowadays, but they dont want people to mistake those certain devices are APPLE devices/products, so they go after them
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote