REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Off-duty cop from US sends stupid letter to the newspaper (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672009-off-duty-cop-us-sends-stupid-letter-newspaper.html)

Presto 08-08-2012 10:40 AM

Off-duty cop from US sends stupid letter to the newspaper

Be careful when driving with Canadian plates in Kalamzoo, Michigan. This douchebag probably has a hard-on for pulling over Canucks, now.

His Letter:
Quote:

I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada.

Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: "Been to the Stampede yet?"

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?"

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, "Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know - it's because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

Walt Wawra, Kalamazoo, Mich.
source

Related Article:
Quote:

Yes, Walt Wawra is a real person. No, the letter we published from him Tuesday, about the “confrontation” he and his wife had with two Calgarians in Nose Hill Park, was not a hoax. The fact that so many readers have written in, or posted comments online, wondering if it was for real, speaks volumes about the cultural differences between Canadians and Americans. It gives the lie to those who say that Canadians are no different than Americans.

Wawra, who lives in Kalamazoo, Mich., is a police officer. While on a recent visit to Calgary, he and his wife, Debbie, were approached by two young men on a pathway in Nose Hill Park, who asked the Wawras if they had been to the Stampede yet. When they asked the question a second time, Wawra moved between the men and his wife and told them he had no need to talk to them. He said they looked “bewildered.” The parties then went their separate ways.

In his letter, Wawra said it felt strange not to carry his off-duty handgun in Canada and added that he thanked the Lord they didn’t pull a weapon on him. No benefit of the doubt given the young men, no thought that they might have just been trying to be friendly.

He also complained about Canadian gun laws, saying that in Canada, only the police and criminals carry handguns. Yes, that’s true, and it’s probably one of the reasons when there’s a dispute over a parking space in Canada, nobody dies from bullet wounds as a result.

Wawra’s mindset is what America’s gun mania has produced. How paranoid and how very sad.

Wawra wrote that he speculated the men did not have good intentions. He claims the men spoke in an “aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner.” Menacing? A question about the Stampede is construed as a menace? Or, as someone commented on the Herald’s website: “... for asking if you had been to the Stampede? Since when is that grounds to be dead?” Another commenter wrote: “I can see why they were frightened. If you rearrange the letters in ‘been to Stampede yet?’ you get “a beset potted enemy’.”

Most likely, the men noticed something about the Wawras that indicated they were tourists, and were trying to make conversation. Maybe they themselves were enjoying the Stampede’s centennial celebration and wanted to let these tourists know that their visit to Calgary wouldn’t be complete without a day at the Stampede. The fact that the young men looked bewildered by Wawra’s response indicates that their intentions were indeed friendly ones and that they were quite puzzled at being rebuffed.

Wawra did not return my call requesting an interview Tuesday afternoon. Too bad. I would have liked to ask him why an American visitor to Calgary would treat a friendly encounter in a city park here as if it were a midnight stroll through a drug-dealer infested alley on the south side of Chicago. One can only stand open-mouthed at the knee-jerk mindset of suspicion, fear and loathing on the mean streets — which is so ingrained in Americans that they can’t leave it at home when they visit another country.

Americans argue that they need to carry guns, because having a concealed weapon makes them feel safe. Their thinking seems to be that at any given moment, they could be under attack from the very next person they meet on the street, and they’ll need to shoot in self-defence. Whereas, when you walk down a street in Canada, you don’t assume that you’re at risk of being suddenly assaulted or killed. You just see ordinary people going about their day and you give their motives no further thought.

Walt Wawra responds: I'm not deterred by negative reaction

And so, Americans, unaware of just how sick their handgun mentality is, continue to fight like crazy to prevent any kind of handgun-control legislation from being implemented. A 9 mm handgun, purchased legally, was the weapon of choice in Oak Creek, Wis., on Sunday when six people were killed and three more wounded by a white supremacist at a Sikh temple. One might argue that if the worshippers had carried guns, they could have killed the guy first. But sitting in a temple armed to the teeth while listening to a sermon about brotherhood and peace is ridiculous.

“Many would say I have no need to carry (a handgun) in Canada,” Wawra wrote. “Yet I have a unique perspective based on years of police experience. The perspective (is that) the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be allowed to protect himself if the need arises... My perspective proved true a few days ago for my wife and I.”

It doesn’t seem to have occurred to Wawra that the need didn’t arise in Calgary, and that if he’d been carrying a handgun, two people might now be dead because they asked him if he’d been to the Stampede.

As an American who is also a Canadian citizen, all I can say is, thank God I live in Canada.
source

ilovebacon 08-08-2012 10:49 AM

Lol what a pussy cop. He's off duty too, going out with his wife to enjoy his day off. At least ask "why" and see what those two fools were talking about. Maybe the cop wife was pretty and was being macked on.

SoulCrusher 08-08-2012 10:54 AM

as a US citizen, he needs to keep in mind that he enters Canada as a privledge. If he does not like or appreciate Canadian laws or Customs, stay the fuck out!

JKam 08-08-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulCrusher (Post 7997613)
as a US citizen, he needs to keep in mind that he enters Canada as a privledge. If he does not like or appreciate Canadian laws or Customs, stay the fuck out!

You have an appropriate avatar haha

GLOW 08-08-2012 11:34 AM

americans walking around in nose hill park :suspicious:
someone go get their gun and flush 'em out

z3german 08-08-2012 11:43 AM

Lol cop is a little trigger happy? Scary shit, but i still believe we should be able to carry concealed guns with the proper courses, screening, and training.

TPMarko 08-08-2012 11:48 AM

not that i think those guys were up to no good but even if they were, it was because of our gun policies that kept him and his wife from being shot at. what's next? should we allow people like him to drive a tank and carry a bazooka into the grocery store so that he can feel safe buying milk for the family?

Datsun 08-08-2012 11:52 AM

hahahaohwow.jpg "LOOK AT ME IM A BATTLE HARDENED MAN OF THE LAW, AND I WILL NOT HESITATE TO BRANDISH MY WEAPONS AND USE DEADLY FORCE, LOOK AT MY GUN LOOK LOOK LOOK PLEASEEEEE LOOK"

Response article nails it, and already you can see the cop backpedalling and try to do some damage control for his pathetic passive aggressive letter.

murd0c 08-08-2012 11:56 AM

The scary part about it is what would happen if he had a gun? Fucken silly Americans.

Presto 08-08-2012 01:39 PM

Looks like 2damaxmr2 must be a gun-wavin', bible-thumpin' Amuurican, or a fan of gun-wavin', bible-thumpin' Amuuricans. Better be nice to him----nevermind, he'd want to pull out his detachable penis to protect himself.

danny_d19 08-08-2012 01:59 PM

After reading that first article...

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7083/...55b7244b82.jpg

mos_skeeto 08-08-2012 02:06 PM

Next time I run into Americans...

Hey have you been to the PNE yet?

HEY. HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE P N E YET!?!?!?!

jimmyrustler 08-08-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny_d19 (Post 7997775)

http://i.imgur.com/t89Cc.gif

GLOW 08-08-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny_d19 (Post 7997775)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyrustler (Post 7997846)

:lawl:

hotshot1 08-08-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 7997759)
Looks like 2damaxmr2 must be a gun-wavin', bible-thumpin' Amuurican, or a fan of gun-wavin', bible-thumpin' Amuuricans. Better be nice to him----nevermind, he'd want to pull out his detachable penis to protect himself.

So if he thinks we should be able to "carry concealed guns with the proper courses, screening, and training", then he must be a "gun-wavin', bible-thumpin' Amuurican, or a fan of gun-wavin', bible-thumpin' Amuuricans"

Ok, cool.

Culture_Vulture 08-08-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulCrusher (Post 7997613)

try explaining that to him, not to us

StylinRed 08-08-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotshot1 (Post 7997853)
So if he thinks we should be able to "carry concealed guns with the proper courses, screening, and training", then he must be a "gun-wavin', bible-thumpin' Amuurican, or a fan of gun-wavin', bible-thumpin' Amuuricans"

Ok, cool.

looks like you've mixed people up buddy

2damax hasn't said a word in the thread he's just been failing people who think the cop is nutz

you're quoting z3rgman

Great68 08-08-2012 04:05 PM

I had never held a gun, let alone fired a gun until only a few years ago (apart from pellet rifles). When I nailed the skeet on my first shot ever with a 12 guage, I have to admit it was pretty fucking fun. Getting my PAL is definately in the cards for the future.

That being said, I would NEVER feel comfortable if the general public were allowed to carry guns around. You just never know when someone might go off the deep end. I'd rather limit access as much as possible to those people.

If this cop were allowed to carry his gun in Canada, is he suggesting that he actually would flash his gun at these people who were asking him if he had been to the stampede because he felt the approached in a "aggressive" manner? Could a couple of guys been dead because of a simple misunderstanding?

The followup article hits the nail on the head. I couldn't imagine living in a country where your first thought when a stranger approaches is that they want to do you harm.

drunkrussian 08-08-2012 04:26 PM

not fair to compare him to all americans. this guy is obviously a white trash cop from a murder capital state. i have faith that most americans are good people and wont react this way.

i do agreee tho that for all those others, this unfortunately os what they have become. but we all kno that the big minority of rednecks not afraid to voice thei opinions runs america while the more sane silent majority remains silent and lets the country become more and more fucked up

hotshot1 08-08-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7997873)
looks like you've mixed people up buddy

2damax hasn't said a word in the thread he's just been failing people who think the cop is nutz

you're quoting z3rgman

You're right, my bad. Attention fail on my part.

Gridlock 08-08-2012 04:58 PM

The united states was founded upon fear.

We fear persecution...get on this boat and move to the new world.
We fear the indians. That's easy, manipulate the ones you can to fight for you, kill the rest.
We fear black people..we all know what happened.
We fear the british aren't listening to us.
Moving on...
We fear germany, Japan, korea, vietnam, russians, communists in general
Click through another century...time to fear brown people.

Hell, even at home, we fear our neighbors, so let's move out to the suburbs where all my neighbors look exactly like us. Usually a shade of off-white. Replace the picket white, with metal black and something that beeps when it accepts that people have a right to be there.

Let's carry a gun to cover ourselves when we leave the castle. Now, we can "stand our ground" and just shoot anything that fucking moves! What brilliant bastard wrote that one?

Let's fear neighbors that look like us and shoot them when they look "menacing".

So why would I expect this guy to sit there and appreciate some people in a park when his entire "social-dna" is screaming, "shoot the mystery fucker". His parents felt it, his grandparents feel it. He has politicians telling him its ok, and showing it through their actions. If a country doesn't do what you tell them to do, and look a little different(fuck, pick one: slanty eyes?sure not white? check funny hat made out of a towel? Very popular right now) they have no problem inventing a little reason to fire off the oldest missiles to keep the stock pile fresh.

Hell, I'm surprised at this point when I meet an american that ISN'T a gun-lovin', bible thumpin' ignorant asshole when they come from the big empty part in the middle. Just the same as when I'm surprised when they can look down and see their feet while standing on them.

Any questions about my take on this? :)

AzNightmare 08-08-2012 04:58 PM

This should be be attached to the debate about firearm possession from the Dark Knight Rises theatre shooting thread.

Harvey Specter 08-08-2012 05:15 PM

Most Americans are simple folk, they don't want government interfering with their daily lives or having their freedoms taken away. The problem is when you have media on both sides pumping people with their own bs propaganda you create a very paranoid society which splits most people down ideological lines and that's whats happening with this gun control debate.

Right now it's a tug a war between the far left and far right and creating fear is the best way to get people to your side and that's exactly what these loons are doing. Every act of violence with a gun and you have a war between gun supporters and non gun supporters but real issues plaguing some of these mass murderers like mental health issues are completely ignored. My head starts spinning if I have to read articles and hear pundits from each side express their bs opinions. Unfortunately some people are easily molded by opinions from others and that's why idiots on both sides need to be held accountable for the crap they're spewing because all they're doing is dividing people and creating unnecessary fear and hatred.

Phozy 08-08-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Americans argue that they need to carry guns, because having a concealed weapon makes them feel safe. Their thinking seems to be that at any given moment, they could be under attack from the very next person they meet on the street, and they’ll need to shoot in self-defence. Whereas, when you walk down a street in Canada, you don’t assume that you’re at risk of being suddenly assaulted or killed. You just see ordinary people going about their day and you give their motives no further thought.

Walt Wawra responds: I'm not deterred by negative reaction

And so, Americans, unaware of just how sick their handgun mentality is, continue to fight like crazy to prevent any kind of handgun-control legislation from being implemented. A 9 mm handgun, purchased legally, was the weapon of choice in Oak Creek, Wis., on Sunday when six people were killed and three more wounded by a white supremacist at a Sikh temple. One might argue that if the worshippers had carried guns, they could have killed the guy first. But sitting in a temple armed to the teeth while listening to a sermon about brotherhood and peace is ridiculous.

“Many would say I have no need to carry (a handgun) in Canada,” Wawra wrote. “Yet I have a unique perspective based on years of police experience. The perspective (is that) the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be allowed to protect himself if the need arises... My perspective proved true a few days ago for my wife and I.”
Ever since 9/11, the media has been spewing news about terrorists threats and how the government must do this or that to protect them. They've been brainwashed, thinking everywhere they go some african-american or iranian will cause harm to them. They're country is based on fear, so that they can control the people.

I'm not suprised, silly U.S.

westopher 08-08-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Dean (Post 7997949)
Most Americans are simple folk, they don't want government interfering with their daily lives or having their freedoms taken away.

Its odd, because the same people you describe (I'm not disagreeing with this statement, just stating an ironic side of the people that feel this way) they demand the government interferes with anyones freedoms that aren't an exact match to theirs, like abortion rights, gay marriage, etc....Its unfortunate that so many cool americans get lumped in with the bigoted, god fearing, gun loving, gay haters, but its a sad fact that its a stereotype that exists for a reason. Anyway I'm kinda getting away from the point, so I'll head back to the point. If I thought the average person was walking around with a gun in their pocket, I'd move. An armed society clearly isn't a polite society as proven by americas through the fucking roof gun violence statistics. However, even clear numbers mean nothing to the stubborn and ignorant.