REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Transit officers charged with assault (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672026-transit-officers-charged-assault.html)

Major153 08-08-2012 02:07 PM

Transit officers charged with assault

Interesting article

I've never been a fan of transit police and never really understood why they're so overly aggresive/unfriendly.... I guess if you witness any misconduct by them try to get it on camera just in case...

Quote:

Assault charges laid against two transit police officers
By Christopher Reynolds, Vancouver Sun August 8, 2012 5:25 PM Comments (3)
Crown counsel has laid charges against two transit police officers who allegedly assaulted a 27-year-old man earlier this year.

Alfred Wong, 35, and Bruce Shipley, 49, both TransLink police constables, have each been charged with one count of assault following an incident at the Granville SkyTrain station on Feb. 9.

Around 6:30 p.m., the officers approached the man, sitting on steps just outside the station on Seymour Street. Supposedly checking on his wellbeing after overhearing that a man matching his description was in distress, the officers began to speak with him.

After the man attempted to walk away, the officers physically assaulted and pepper-sprayed him, the Crown alleges.

Following a Transit police review of the incident, Vancouver police launched a criminal investigation and concluded the officers had committed assault, a criminal offence.

“We thank the Vancouver Police Department and Crown counsel for the thorough investigation and review which has taken place,” said Transit police Chief Neil Dubord. “We respect the judicial process and await the outcome.”

Crown counsel formally laid charges Wednesday after having reviewed the Vancouver police report, said Vancouver police spokesman Const. Brian Montague, in a release.

creynolds@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

source: Assault charges laid against two transit police officers

Lomac 08-08-2012 02:10 PM

Weird. I've never had a single issue with transit cops. The fact that a large portion of them are former RCMP officers means that they're usually all pretty chill and respectful. Only times I've seen them get agressive is when the people they're talking to get lippy and try to run away.

:dunno:

Sid Vicious 08-08-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 7997789)
Weird. I've never had a single issue with transit cops. The fact that a large portion of them are former RCMP officers means that they're usually all pretty chill and respectful. Only times I've seen them get agressive is when the people they're talking to get lippy and try to run away.

:dunno:

there's your problem right there.

b0unce. [?] 08-08-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 7997795)
there's your problem right there.

go on

jackmeister 08-08-2012 02:47 PM

cops investigating cops and we end up with a criminal lawsuit??

did the sun rise from the west this morning?

StylinRed 08-08-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 7997818)

must have been a pretty severe assault

Razor Ramon HG 08-08-2012 06:05 PM

Probably helps that the area is pretty high traffic throughout the day.

bing 08-08-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major153 (Post 7997786)
Interesting article

I've never been a fan of transit police and never really understood why they're so overly aggresive/unfriendly.... I guess if you witness any misconduct by them try to get it on camera just in case..

Based on personal experience? I've never had any issues with transit police or RCMP in my life. In fact, two transit officers came to warn me for my safety once when I had my hoody on and was reading my textbook waiting in the station at night.

People must be doing something wrong.

suzuka84 08-08-2012 09:07 PM

not surprising given the fact transit pd went on a hiring binge to increase its headcount; thereby, taking among their ranks sheriffs and custom officers (that to which would not pass muster under any circumstances in the normal VPD and RCMP ranks)

Chronix 08-08-2012 11:45 PM

transit cops are now split between ex-RCMPs and really young new recruits.

vafanculo 08-09-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 7997818)

This isn't cops investigating cops. This is somewhat like cops investigating rent-a-cops.

Chronix 08-10-2012 12:53 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EfyieddbbN...s320/OpoQQ.jpg

instantneedles 08-10-2012 01:05 AM

I hate transit officers, esp the ones at the seabus because theyre anal about every single detail there is. But what can i say, a job is a job right?

dL 08-10-2012 06:46 AM

slightly off-topic but I've always wondered, can transit police vehicles issue tickets on the road? They seriously look like any other cop car except it's printed transit police. In theory I don't think so but if it's former RCMP police... I don't know. Maybe?

dL

CharlieH 08-10-2012 07:00 AM

^

transit police have all the power that regular cops have. transit authority on the other hand is different i believe.

TPMarko 08-10-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by instantneedles (Post 7999312)
I hate transit officers, esp the ones at the seabus because theyre anal about every single detail there is. But what can i say, a job is a job right?

what kind of details?

suboy 08-10-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by instantneedles (Post 7999312)

well someones gotta be anal to people who don't buy a ticket, or else there'll be tons of people riding for free all year around

SumAznGuy 08-10-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dL (Post 7999377)
slightly off-topic but I've always wondered, can transit police vehicles issue tickets on the road? They seriously look like any other cop car except it's printed transit police. In theory I don't think so but if it's former RCMP police... I don't know. Maybe?

dL

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieH (Post 7999388)
^

transit police have all the power that regular cops have. transit authority on the other hand is different i believe.

Transit police and Transit auuthority is the same thing. They can issue tickets and have just the same if not more power than regular police.
They are multi jurisdictional where as VPD is only supposed to be in Vancouver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_C...Police_Service

iam_dan 08-10-2012 12:07 PM

on an off note... i remember i was checked for my transit pass at stadium a couple years back. i opened my wallet to show them the monthly pass i had in my windowed slot.
the 2 transit police said "who does he think he is, 007?" and laughed at me.

lol. what a bunch of douches. seriously.

spyker 08-10-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iam_dan (Post 7999631)
on an off note... i remember i was checked for my transit pass at stadium a couple years back. i opened my wallet to show them the monthly pass i had in my windowed slot.
the 2 transit police said "who does he think he is, 007?" and laughed at me.

lol. what a bunch of douches. seriously.

It never fails to amaze me what kind of degenerates we have working in the public sector nowadays.

Gh0stRider 08-10-2012 02:09 PM

they are bullies

mr_chin 08-10-2012 02:26 PM

Just because you never had issues with one doesn't mean they're all nice and stuff.

Just because you had issues with couple of them, doesn't mean they're all assholes.

murd0c 08-10-2012 02:32 PM

I've dealt with good transit cops and bad ones, just like with the police. Just tread them with respect and if the are dicks just brush it off because if you don't it's way to much of a hassle to deal with the BS.

dragon_88 08-10-2012 07:07 PM

Fuk the police

BaoTurbo 08-10-2012 07:14 PM

There's always good and bad ones just like good and bad bus drivers. It's not like all of them are bad or all of them are good. You just can't generalize like that.