REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   STI to S2000? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672170-sti-s2000.html)

Roach 08-11-2012 02:35 PM

STI to S2000?

Has anyone here made the transition from an STI (or something similar in power/torque) to an S2000?

I have a stage 2 '09 STI that I'm considering trading for a 2008 S2000. I recently got a company car from work so as a result, I only drive the STI on the weekends. I figure, for a weekend car, I could get something that is more... impractical. Something I may not be able to have when I settle down in the future.

That being said, I really love the STI. The power, utility and downright nasty garble of the exhaust are awesome.

I love the idea of a roadster and have always lusted for an S2000. The car is a modern classic that I would like to experience. That being said, I'm concerned that the drop off in power will be significant.

My only previous experience is driving an AP1 S2000 briefly. It had an aftermarket exhaust which sounded terrible and yes, it felt like it lacked some torque. That and I didn't get a chance to open it up into VTEC.

Has anyone else made a similar transition? Will I regret it? And yes, I will drive the AP2 but wanted some unbiased opinions.

Mine:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...I/IMG_1589.jpg

The car I'd be looking at (same colour/spec)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...y/IMG_0391.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...y/IMG_0401.jpg

Kev

belaud 08-11-2012 02:36 PM

You're going from tons of power, to no power, good handling, to amazing handling.

Its a trade off, its really your call on this.

My friend drives an S2K, has driven plenty of STI's and would still prefer the S2k just because of the handling.

On the other hand, my other friend owns an STI, he prefers that over the S2k because it has power

:lol

again, your call on what you prefer

crazyazn 08-11-2012 02:46 PM

Just a thought: Miata + LSx swap and additional suspension mods?

ddalbowang 08-11-2012 02:49 PM

AP2 has slightly better torque at low end than AP1

but still lack of power compared to STi

I had went a E46 M3 from S2k ... missed my S2k...

very well balanced car and gave me tons of fun to drive

Energy 08-11-2012 02:51 PM

If it is purely a weekend car and you don't need the practicality of the STI then go for the S2000.

You won't regret making the switch. You said you like the STI for the power, utility, and exhaust.

Power isn't everything. I went from an s2k to a tuned 335i that has way more power and torque but what's the point really? In the city I can barely use any of that power. Step on the pedal and I'm already heading towards an impound. With the s2000 the power is very useable and you can actually rev it to the redline and still be within the speed limit. Its true when they say that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast then to drive a fast car slow. And the first time you take a corner and feel how the car responds you will fall in love. My car now is sporty but it is heavy and with no LSD will never corner as nicely as an s2k. Honestly the way the s2k handles and the way it responds immediately to your inputs is just heavenly.

Utility, well you don't need utility for a weekend car. If it helps you can fit two sets of golf bags in the trunk and can carry a set of wheels and tires in the trunk and passenger seat if you need to.

Exhaust sound uhh the aftermarket for the s2k is very large. You'll be able to find an exhaust to your liking easily. Even without an exhaust the engine sounds racy and it screams as you get to the red line.

The s2k is such a fun car. I needed more practicality and a comfier dd so I had to let her go. Whenever I see an s2k driving around with the top down I can't help but feel envy towards those people... Really such a fun and special car. I could go on and on but then I'd take up a whole page.

busdriverman 08-11-2012 04:03 PM

i agree with Energy and everything posted so far.

i recently picked up an 06 s2000 and i am in LOVE! the way the car responds to corners is simply jaw dropping. i agree with the comments regarding the S' lack of power and torque, but do you really need a lot of power in the city or even highway? the handling and input & response from this car is amazing.

i come from an fg2 (2006 civic si) and have not looked back at the si since. you feel at one with the car

the S also gets a lot of nods and looks too =)

busdriverman 08-11-2012 04:08 PM

find a friend with an s2 and take it for a good spin. i GUARANTEE you that will be be grinning from ear to ear after a few corners

-clint

Energy 08-11-2012 04:15 PM

Oh one other thing the s2000 has a beautiful timeless design. It's a car that came out in 2000 but can still turn heads today. Simple and classy roadster proportions with a long hood and short rear end that isn't as round as a miata. Look at how low those front fenders are too, no modern car can have fenders like that anymore due to pedestrian safety crash regulations.

It also helps that there is no successor to the car so you will never be driving "the old model". You will just be driving an s2000. A special, purposeful, hand built car.

JDMCivic 08-11-2012 04:22 PM

i switch between my 09 STi and 06 s2k from winter to summer (vice versa). I fine myself missing the other car when I'm not driving it. S2k definitely feels more nimble and alive compared to my STi. That alone makes up for the lack of power. With a couple mods, the S2K will sound pretty awesome and with VTEC loud and clear you won't miss the boxer rumble too much.

flagella 08-11-2012 04:45 PM

For a weekend warrior, it's hard to beat s2k. You'll feel the lack of torque whether you're getting AP1 or AP2 since you're coming from STi. It's hard to beat driving top down on a beautiful day, not to mention the car is so nimble. It's a great car which is why I decided to keep mine. As long as you don't daily drive it, lack of torque shouldn't be a huge issue for you.

FishTaco 08-11-2012 04:48 PM

I went from 2001 s2k to a 2009 Honda Fit. Worst decision i have ever made hands down.

Now I have a Lexus SC300 twin turbo which is powerful, but I do miss the handling that the s2k produced. I had stock suspension too so I could only imagine how it would handle with upgraded suspension. *le sigh* :okay:

jpark 08-11-2012 04:53 PM

^haha and i know the new owner with your old s2000, and he seems to love it so much :D

kakucaekz 08-11-2012 05:01 PM

This thread really makes me want to buy an S2000.. If only I was a bit shorter :(

asr 08-11-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belaud (Post 8000590)
You're going from tons of power, to no power, good handling, to amazing handling.

Its a trade off, its really your call on this.

My friend drives an S2K, has driven plenty of STI's and would still prefer the S2k just because of the handling.

On the other hand, my other friend owns an STI, he prefers that over the S2k because it has power

:lol

again, your call on what you prefer

I test drive s2k, sti and evo. I stick with the last two even though S2k handling is better.
I do prefer s2k looking as well

jing 08-11-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyazn (Post 8000598)
Just a thought: Miata + LSx swap and additional suspension mods?

This

asr 08-11-2012 09:04 PM

^+1

kakucaekz 08-11-2012 09:12 PM

Oh, another thing you might wanna consider is visibility and being seen. Especially with all the stupid drivers in the GVRD, you gotta be cautious with a small car like the S2k. My car is about the same size, and there have been a few times people (usually SUVs and vans) have almost merged and sideswiped me just cuz my car is so damn tiny. And it's annoying not being able to see over any car, for traffic or whatever :lol:

Energy 08-11-2012 10:37 PM

That's actually true.

A lifted pickup actually didn't see me once and he drove right into me. His car was high enough that only his tire hit my front bumper and there was no damage. Also one guy rearended me as I was switching lanes to the right... I wasn't fully in the right lane yet and my left rear was still in the left lane but a guy in a white delivery van didn't notice and cracked my left tail light and bumper.

kakucaekz 08-11-2012 10:42 PM

SUV reversed into me, went partway up my bumper like a ramp. Guess he couldn't see me in his rear view or side mirrors. Nothing like a good old turn-around-and-look eh?

Just gotta be extra careful is all. I assume that everyone is an idiot on the road anyway, but it's so much more important driving around in a 4 foot tall car surrounded by C-lais and their BMW and Mercedes SUVs.

Manic! 08-11-2012 11:16 PM

If you have a small car install one of these: http://tricyclesforadults.net/wp-con...urity-Flag.jpg

death_blossom 08-11-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakucaekz (Post 8000681)
This thread really makes me want to buy an S2000.. If only I was a bit shorter :(

how tall are you? I'm practically 6ft tall and I fit into an s2000 nicely. I've have other friends at 6'2" drive their s2000's fairly comfortably as well (although pushing it).

I've been bugging a friend to let me drive his STi for a while now, as I've been a big Subie fan ever since the GC8 series way back when. I'll chime in with a comparison when that "test drive" finally happens, hehe. I sure do miss my s2k though. :(

kakucaekz 08-12-2012 12:42 AM

I'm 6'1 and a bit. I fit in my MR2 fairly well, but if my hair is long and done up, it touches the roof. It looks funny if you're behind me and you see a bit of hair sticking through the roof when I have the tops off :P

ree666 08-12-2012 01:51 AM

theres no transmission/shifter and driver feel like the s2000. tunnel+ top down+ 8 or 9k rip= :)

ps: this is how i look at it, when its nice out, YOU CANT WAIT to jump into the car and go for ride. it gives a positive spin to going to work i guess?

trollguy 08-12-2012 09:38 AM

hey kev, i still got that lead on the 18x10 SBC RPFs ;)

optiblue 08-12-2012 12:09 PM

If you must get a S2000, get a 2006. It's the last of the non drive by wires.