REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
recommendations for deck contractor

my parents' place has an elevated wood deck that is not in good shape. after watching too much hgtv they are contemplating rebuilding it.

because hgtv is mostly ontario it isn't much of a resource for finding contractors. can someone here recommend a contractor locally that is reputable? all i know is don't go with anyone home depot recommends (from another message board).

thanks in advance...
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Check your PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Ensure whatever contractor they do use gets a permit.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

A permit will get you lots of headaches then when you need help like I did from the city of Maple Ridge, they say crap like "talk to a lawyer", or "we don't have jurisdiction in your yard".

Anyways you can contact a good friend/contractor of mine that has been in the industry for many years;

Tony Rodriguez
Firm Built Construction
(604) 992-4690
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin View Post
A permit will get you lots of headaches then when you need help like I did from the city of Maple Ridge, they say crap like "talk to a lawyer", or "we don't have jurisdiction in your yard".

Anyways you can contact a good friend/contractor of mine that has been in the industry for many years;

Tony Rodriguez
Firm Built Construction
(604) 992-4690
You've just given some of the worst and most inaccurate advice I have ever seen on RS.

The overwhelming majority of good contractors would not even agree to take on a project without the necessary permits, because of the possibility of a stop work order. A permit is a very minor expense for a homeowner to incur in exchange for the assurance that a project is safely built, especially in regards to decks and basements which are popular targets of questionable contractors.

I've been in the construction industry for years, been through thousands of inspections, and every one has ended with my work being signed off. I've also been brought in on about a dozen projects to complete work started by other contractors who inspectors did not sign off, because the work was not up to code and in a number of cases outright dangerous - a perfect example of the permit process protecting homeowners.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Oh please don't misunderstand, the permit comment was completely in my DIRECT opinion. I did in no way insinuate that Firm Built Construction does or will do work without a permit.

What I meant is THAT from my direct experience as a home owner of 10 years and experience building a garge in maple ridge is most horsesh-t. Let me explain;

As I was applying for an electrical permit at the city I witnessed an inspector and what looked and sounded like three contractors talk about a basement being finished. Inspector asks" what happened to that basement I looked at", contractor says "I completed it for cash and I'll take a permit out later". I stopped their conversation and questioned them, they all gave a little laugh and went back to talking... Wtf So because you're a contractor you have more rights then me? Ha! Don't think so, everyone makes mistakes and everyone can cut corners wether you're a contractor or not.

Another good one, 27 houses going up right beside me. Developer cuts two tree on my side of the fence and leaves the stumps. Developer blows off any concerns or comments I have. I go to the city and ask about property lines, counter person says "hire a surveyor". I mention all my recent permit fees and the hoops I jump through to complete my garage which I mostly built with my hands and my six year old son, and she says "go talk to a lawyer, we don't have jurisdiction in your yard.".

Soooo I can only assume that our fees mean crap and there is no help when you need it.

Most construction is really a whole lot of common sense and of course following code.

Permits do protect homeowners ONLY if contractors don't have special arrangements or friendships with inspectors.
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Gotcha, your comment makes more sense now.

Inspectors are sort of like police officers; the vast majority are very good and honest with a few questionable individuals intermixed.

Large developers tend to be given leeway a small independent contractor would never receive. An inspector won't overlook significant issues, but minor mistakes made by the sketchy inexperienced "trades people" are fair game. Cities want areas developed for the massive increases in annual tax revenue, and developers want projects to proceed without delay at the lowest possible cost.

I've seen a very experienced and very good contractor in Southlands have the entire profit from a project negated, because he had the attic insulated before the pot lights were inspected to ensure no fire hazards exist and the insulation needed to be removed and re-installed. At a site in Richmond, a very sketchy contractor installed used insulation that had been removed due to a rat infestation, which the inspector caught but the average homeowner might not have.

Each city has a number of inspectors, I've met the majority of them at some point by virtue of the fact that my role as a sub-contractor means I work on a lot of projects. I can only think of a couple that might not be trustworthy.

Unfortunately, this is a case where one bad apple spoils the bunch. I still firmly believe the permit process protects homeowners.

Firm Built looks like a good contractor.

Definitely do not go with anyone HD recommends.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
thanks everyone. if there is more out there please keep them coming.

i'm scared. i was on another message board reading horror stories. found one that was local (langley). homeowner paid cash under the table, no contract, and the contractors demo'd half the old deck and then went to do another job with promises of coming back to finish week after week, but in the end they left this guy with no deck all summer and a yard full of construction garbage and old lumber
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
homeowner paid cash under the table, no contract,
they paid in full up front or only a portion?

if they paid up front and hoped the job would be done in full out of the goodness of their heart i'd be like and can picture the contractor lookin' like

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
thanks everyone. if there is more out there please keep them coming.

i'm scared. i was on another message board reading horror stories. found one that was local (langley). homeowner paid cash under the table, no contract, and the contractors demo'd half the old deck and then went to do another job with promises of coming back to finish week after week, but in the end they left this guy with no deck all summer and a yard full of construction garbage and old lumber
There's no need to be scared.

The person in Langley could not have possibly made another single mistake in the way they conducted business. If a person is that flippant about a very serious business deal, they should expect the likelihood that it will become a horror story. It sounds like they were trying to do it as cheaply as humanly possible.

No legitimate contractor will request you pay cash under the table.
The paper trail protects both clients and contractors alike. It provides proof of payment for the customer should a contractor choose to not complete the job; and it provides proof of total payments made, should the contractor need to file a lien.

No legitimate contractor will do business with a new client without a contract.
A purely verbal agreement, sketch on a piece of paper, or what have you, means nothing should there be a dispute between the client and contractor. If a client expects a certain type of decking lumber to be used, but the contractor is using a different material, a contract outlining the materials and labour can resolve that dispute in minutes, versus the job imploding on itself. A contract is also required should a lien need to be filed, which is not all that uncommon.

If you have a contract, make staggered payments by cheque, and hire an insured contractor, the likelihood of running into a bad contractor is very slim.
This post thanked by: