REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Flight layovers

I haven't done too many layover flights. If the layover is 1hr only and the first leg of the flight is late and I miss my next flight, what happens? Does the airline get me on the next available flight without additional costs? I doubt rule 240 will apply. Or what if I'm late because of customs or security check but the plane is on time?

I'm looking at a flight to Italy and there's a 1hr 10mins layover (very short) before Frankfurt to Milan. I have a feeling that I might miss it. Same with my return flight, the layover is only 1hr.

Departure
1. Friday - United Airline
Vancouver (YVR) to Chicago (ORD)
Depart 6:15 am
Arrive 12:11 pm

-----
layover 2hrs 22ms
-----

2. Friday United Airline
Chicago (ORD) to Frankfurt (FRA)
Depart 2:33 pm
Arrive 5:45 am + 1 day

-----
layover 1hr 10mins
-----

3. Saturday United Airline
Frankfurt (FRA) to Milan (MXP)
Depart 6:55 am
Arrive 8:05 am

Return
1. Sunday - Swiss airline
Milan (MXP) to Zurich (ZRH)
Depart 3:00 pm
Arrive 4:00 pm

-----
layover 1hr
-----

2. Sunday - Swiss airline
Zurich (ZRH) to Vancouver (YVR) Swiss airline
Depart 5:05 pm
Arrive 6:45 pm
Advertisement
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
they'll put you on the next available flight

happens all the time but an 1hr+ is a fair amount of time although depending on the airport it could be cutting it short
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You'll likely be rushing to your next flight if anything.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

You'll be fine. I did a 1 hour lay over from Amsterdam -> Frankfurt -> Venice. You are flying the same carrier and the updated Frankfurt airport is very efficient. In fact, all Star Alliance flights are grouped together in the same terminal in Frankfurt so connecting shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by AWDTurboLuvr; 08-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.
AWDTurboLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
they'll put you on the next available flight
I believe this is only the case if you book the entire trip together, from the same airline in the same booking. i.e. if you book yourself on expedia or from various airlines each way, it is not guaranteed.

It looks like the OP has done the former, so should be covered.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 08-14-2012 at 09:34 AM.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I believe this is only the case if you book the entire roundtrip together, from the same airline in the same booking. i.e. if you book yourself on expedia or from various airlines each way, it is not guaranteed.

It looks like the OP has done the former, so should be covered.
I booked my round trip on expedia with 1 ticket (I put in vancouver to milan). Is that considered as one booking?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
I booked my round trip on expedia with 1 ticket (I put in vancouver to milan). Is that considered as one booking?
Ya if its one ticket it is covered.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
If it was me, I'd look at another itinerary just to play it safe. It's cutting it too tight.

I've had to transfer before from Air Canada to Lufthansa in Frankfurt. The plane was 30 mins late to Frankfurt. Then they parked us on the tarmac, not at a gate. So we had to bus into the terminal which took more time. Once you arrive in the terminal, they make you go through security again before we could reach the Lufthansa gates. So it can be a long stressful process.

Consider the time of year you're going and any possible weather. If you're going in winter time and there's risk of snow in Chicago, don't forget the plane needs time for deicing.

Also, don't forget your luggage also needs to make the transfer. Last thing you want is arriving at your destination with no bags (happened to me).
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
If it was me, I'd look at another itinerary just to play it safe. It's cutting it too tight.

I've had to transfer before from Air Canada to Lufthansa in Frankfurt. The plane was 30 mins late to Frankfurt. Then they parked us on the tarmac, not at a gate. So we had to bus into the terminal which took more time. Once you arrive in the terminal, they make you go through security again before we could reach the Lufthansa gates. So it can be a long stressful process.

Also, don't forget your luggage also needs to make the transfer. Last thing you want is arriving at your destination with no bags (happened to me).
I called expedia and they said the luggage transfer is automatic. I just need to drop off luggage at vancouver and pick it up at milan. I don't have to do any luggage re-claims in between.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

I wish airlines had numbers you could call and ask these questions.
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
I called expedia and they said the luggage transfer is automatic. I just need to drop off luggage at vancouver and pick it up at milan. I don't have to do any luggage re-claims in between.
No that's not what I meant. You need to account for the time it takes for the luggage to be offloaded off the first flight and transported to the next flight. If your first flight is delayed and you find yourself running to make the next flight, you might make it but your luggage likely won't. You won't know until you arrive in Milan.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
what eff-1 said apparently airlines need around 40-45mins between flights to guarantee that your luggage will make it onto your next plane

Last edited by StylinRed; 08-14-2012 at 01:02 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
If it's the same airline you are covered but if the connecting flight is a different airline you are screwed. Also planes get delayed.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
if your flight is delayed you're fucked. well they'll put u on the next flight.

don't worry about lines and stuff. if you're already "checked in". they wont take off without looking for you first.

and if they find you, they'll rush you to the gate.

i've been the last person on a few flights LOL. they always come looking for you.
keep your ears open for the PA.
tell security or whoever is working at the airport that you're on this flight and it takes off in 30min or whatever. they'll always rush you.

the only thing you'll have to do is the walk of shame, when the entire flight knows you're the only one left and the sole reason the flight is slightly delayed. LOL
everyone is gonna eye you as you walk down the aisle. ahahhaha
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

1:10 is cutting it a bit close. Fortunately, you're clearing US Customs in Vancouver, so you don't have to worry about it when you get to Chicago. (otherwise, you'd have to clear customs in Chicago even though you're only in transit)

With O'Hare being a UAL hub, they should be able to get your luggage to your next flight fairly quickly because they'll have more control over the baggage handling. In any case, I'd probably throw an extra change of clothes and basic toiletries in your carry on just in case your luggage doesn't make it the same time as you do.

You may also want to tell the agent at the counter when you check in you'd like a seat closer to the exit so you can make your connecting flight. Offloading a plane can easily take up to 30 minutes - then you have to trek it to your connecting flight gate (which could also potentially be at another terminal depending on the layout of the airport). That leaves you only 30 minutes leeway. If your plane leaves late, you're pretty much screwed.

They will however book you on the next available, but that may end up being a flight on the next day. That will probably mess up your plans (like any hotels, rental cars, tours etc) you had booked. Maybe make sure you buy your tickets on a card that provides some sort of trip cancellation/delay insurance?
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I'd recommend you to have at least 1.5 hours to 2 hours of time between your connecting flights. I just returned form shanghai last week, and almost missed my connecting flight at hong kong due to a typhoon which hit shanghai the day before my flight. Because of that, all flights on the day of were cancelled and thus pushed back till it was safe to fly. In the end my flight was delayed for an hour and 20 minutes and by the time I made it to hong kong to catch my connecting flight back to vancouver I only had 10 minutes to make it from boarding station #75 to #27, that's running roughly 50 boarding station within 10mins... luckily I made it on, but my checked luggage didn't...

long story short, give yourself more time for a greater margin of error, expect the unexpected!

Oh and if you know you're going to arrive just before your connecting flight, let one of the flight attendants on your current flight know and they will make the proper arrangements with the grounding staff to get you onto your next flight asap.

Last edited by mqin; 08-15-2012 at 12:10 AM.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

I missed my connection last month from Paris to Stockholm via Oslo. I got stuck in Oslo's airport till the next flight, which took another 2 hrs or so. If the next flight is full, you have to go standby. This is where having status with an airline helps. Oslo has a great Star Alliance Lounge, and as an SA Gold, they gave me priority wait list.

Besides, Oslo has some very, very attractive citizens so I didn't mind being stuck there at all!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

had a 30 min layover once and took the wrong turn and had to clear aecurity again in a longass line and still made it on time

i looked into it back then and the airline will cover u. even if its not their fault that ur late its their responsibility to get u from point a to point b at no additional costs. the worst that would happen is theyll get u on a diff flight the next day so ud have to get a hotel
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqin View Post
I'd recommend you to have at least 1.5 hours to 2 hours of time between your connecting flights. I just returned form shanghai last week, and almost missed my connecting flight at hong kong due to a typhoon which hit shanghai the day before my flight. Because of that, all flights on the day of were cancelled and thus pushed back till it was safe to fly. In the end my flight was delayed for an hour and 20 minutes and by the time I made it to hong kong to catch my connecting flight back to vancouver I only had 10 minutes to make it from boarding station #75 to #27, that's running roughly 50 boarding station within 10mins... luckily I made it on, but my checked luggage didn't...

long story short, give yourself more time for a greater margin of error, expect the unexpected!

Oh and if you know you're going to arrive just before your connecting flight, let one of the flight attendants on your current flight know and they will make the proper arrangements with the grounding staff to get you onto your next flight asap.
Different airport. All Star Alliance airline flights are clustered around the same terminal at FRA. I went from O'Hare-> FRA -> AMS. My layover was 45 mins and all I did was walk from my gate, picked up a free coffee at the machine and sat down at the gate across.

In fact, all United flights arrive and depart from Pier B, Terminal 1 at FRA.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
had a 30 min layover once and took the wrong turn and had to clear aecurity again in a longass line and still made it on time
Slight difference in size between Idaho airport and Frankfurt, I would imagine lol.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #21

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
it'd be a good idea to get travel insurance that covers trip interruption/delay

if it is a single booking AND the same airline, i think you should be fine, just study the airport map and RUN to your departure gate, you're hoping for the same terminal

baggage wise, there is no guarantees, shit sometimes they "misplace" baggages for direct flights
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I had 45 mins to connect at Ft Worth and my first flight arrived late. They called me out first, I took stairs out of the plane onto the tarmac, into a van where they drove me to the other plane. Walked up those stairs, sat down buckled up and the plane started moving.

Long story short, they do their best to accommodate people.
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post
Different airport. All Star Alliance airline flights are clustered around the same terminal at FRA. I went from O'Hare-> FRA -> AMS. My layover was 45 mins and all I did was walk from my gate, picked up a free coffee at the machine and sat down at the gate across.

This is not always the case. My transfer from an AC to LH flight (both star alliance) was a gong show. Had to bus in from the tarmac, go for a long hike, and re-clear security before I could make it to my LH gate.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Slight difference in size between Idaho airport and Frankfurt, I would imagine lol.
utah to be exact lol
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #25
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post

It's not necessarily the distance you have to walk/run to make it to where ever your next boarding station is, I understand that some airports are smaller and the terminals are all clustered. The problem is the unexpected delay, 45 minutes is giving yourself a minimal margin of transfer time to get onto your connecting flight.

It's better to be safe than sorry since missing a flight can be very stressful.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote