REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #126
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
why the fuck would anyone go back for their highschool reunion?

Fuck McNair.
to show up in a Ferrari
Advertisement

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
If that's the case, then why should I even get a job? I'll just take all the money my dad passes on to me after he passes, right?

If you think nobody cares how you got that job, but rather just that you got it, you're wrong.

People will respect the person who created his business himself from the ground up far more than the person who simply took over his father's business, and hence, got lucky because he 'knew' someone.

Sure, the money might be the same at the end of the day, but the respect factor will not be, and the person starting from scratch will probably feel a lot better about themselves and their accomplishments than the guy who simply took over dad's business...
+1 to what Ulic said. Is this the kind of rationale that people think of to make themselves feel better when they don't have any connections? and they think they can't compete as successfully as the next guy? If I have them, I am damn well using them. Why the fuck would I care what you or anyone thinks? more respect because I did it completely on my own? LOLOL please. Nothing more than feel good stories to reaffirm the ideal of the American dream.

There are people who just receive inheritance and do fuck all. There are also those that go and do something with it.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #128
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

"I don't want a nation of thinkers. I want a nation of workers."
-John D. Rockefeller, 1908, at the launch of his National Education Association.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #129
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I posted this a year ago or so.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #130
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS PWR View Post
For most trades, you don't need a high school diploma.
ya i know but i'm under the impression the electrical trade requires a bit more book learning than other trades due to understanding electricity & electromagnetics, ohm's law, etc...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #131
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,335 Times in 5,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS PWR View Post
For most trades, you don't need a high school diploma.

That's a real shame because I've seen apprentices do great at the hands-on stuff, but struggle (and eventually failing) in class because they couldn't figure out remedial math or couldn't read. The sad part is that they chose to get into trades because there's not many prerequisites.
pretty sure every BCIT trade program requires Math 11 and English 12 as a minimum, which essentially says you gradded
Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #132

The whole trade or university debate is stupid. Not everyone is going to thrive in our educational system since its a one size fits all and there is nothing wrong with other options. What's funny is so many people think university is the only way that we don't have enough people in trades and as a result of this scarcity, being in trades can easily net better wages than the average university grad in Vancouver

Although I will say a lot of people go to university but don't know fuck all still. Hell, I have had co-workers who barely managed to pass and still graduated. Granted, this is reflected in their personality, and you can easily tell they just "went through the process" but got nothing out of it, which may be symptomatic of their work ethic. As for arts degrees, I do not think they are as completely useless as people make it out to be unless you are an average student. At the very least, I think that if you receive B and up grades, you at least have soft skills such as learning, writing, and analytical abilities (and a healthy vocabulary to boot). For example: cousin graduated with an Arts degree in political science from UPenn, yet got job offers from Wall street banks (JP Morgan, Houlihan, etc) as a financial analyst and found the job easy since the analytical skills are transferable.

Furthermore, those that receive decent grades for an Arts degree or any degree for that matter will gain access to graduate school (Masters, LL.B/J.D, MBA, dentistry, etc) and that could increase your chances of landing more lucrative and prestigious jobs (researcher, executive, lawyer, etc). And as others have said, networking opportunities.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 08-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #133
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I don't think it's such a shame as HKS PWR says it is. When I was at BCIT, I had to do calculations which involved long division and decimals. It was something I hadn't touched on since early highschool. Struggled in the beginning, but Google taught me as well as some of my clasmates and I made it through.

Trades is huuuuuge. I think some of you have the misconception that it's some last resort for all the retards or something. Far from the truth.

Being illterate, now that's a shame.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #134
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Trades is huuuuuge. I think some of you have the misconception that it's some last resort for all the retards or something. Far from the truth.
Thanked for good points.

It really depends on the trade, and the individual's priorities.
Trades are generally very stable and offer sub-par salaries, relative to degree/office jobs.
Coincidentally, I personally know 2 people on both ends of the table.
Person A makes ~120k+ a year without lifting a finger, works about an hour every morning from his bedroom, on his automated business which took him roughly 2 years to set up.
Person B makes ~180k a year working 9-5 Mon-Fri, but he's been working for this company for over 20 years to get to where he is.
Different strokes for different folks.
These are fairly extreme cases, but it shows that anyone can make almost anything, regardless of formal education merits.

The big money's in business now, and more and more people are realizing it. That's part of the reason why there's so many new incentives for tradespeople.

I agree that trades is far from "retard" work. Obviously when it comes to theory bookwork, some are more complex than others. And when it comes to manual labour, some are harder on the body than others.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #135
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I dropped out and am making six figures. I gotta say though that I'm a exception and if I would choose again I would've probably not dropped out because my social circle isn't that big right now (I'm 19). Even though me and my friends are tight I wouldn't mind knowing more females and having more perspectives. I gotta say though the upside is I love being a boss and doing whatever I want. I've always hated authority and that's why I dropped out...........
BallerOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #136
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^^ So... you're a drug dealer?
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #137
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerOtaku View Post
I dropped out and am making six figures. I gotta say though that I'm a exception and if I would choose again I would've probably not dropped out because my social circle isn't that big right now (I'm 19). Even though me and my friends are tight I wouldn't mind knowing more females and having more perspectives. I gotta say though the upside is I love being a boss and doing whatever I want. I've always hated authority and that's why I dropped out...........
livin up to ur username huh
Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #138
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
ya i know but i'm under the impression the electrical trade requires a bit more book learning than other trades due to understanding electricity & electromagnetics, ohm's law, etc...
Nope. High school diploma (w/ Math 11 and English 12) is "recommended", but not a prerequisite. Most trades don't have much or any prerequisites, but the amount/level of math and reading comprehension that's involved is way beyond whats covered by a high school diploma.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I don't think it's such a shame as HKS PWR says it is. When I was at BCIT, I had to do calculations which involved long division and decimals. It was something I hadn't touched on since early highschool. Struggled in the beginning, but Google taught me as well as some of my clasmates and I made it through.

Being illterate, now that's a shame.
As a tradesman who's gone through the apprenticeship process, I think a high school diploma should be a prerequisite in trades. The level of reading comprehension and the amount of math is very high, and a lot of apprentices have struggled because of it (from the people I've encounter). The funny thing is, the thing I hear most from those struggling was "I got into trades to avoid math"!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
pretty sure every BCIT trade program requires Math 11 and English 12 as a minimum, which essentially says you gradded
Most of the trades I looked at (automotive tech, plumber, electrician) only list "recommended to have Math 11 and English 12, but not required"
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #141
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post

The big money's in business now, and more and more people are realizing it. That's part of the reason why there's so many new incentives for tradespeople.
Tradespeople are enjoying their time in the sun because of our petroleum economy and of course, 150K-200K/year is nothing to sniff at. But, that's basically a tradesperson's ceiling (unless they own their own company) and if you're a professional such as a lawyer, physician, or a consultant of some kind (basically any job that involves billable hours), your ceiling is much, much higher.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #142
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Wait weren't you looking for a baller $15,000 car? And your parents were covering your maintenance?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #143
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Wait weren't you looking for a baller $15,000 car? And your parents were covering your maintenance?
you beat me to it

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #144
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

This thread is somewhat important for the little boys like me who have no clue what they want to do...and that sometimes, traditional post-secondary schooling is not necessary, provided we have the drive to be what we desire to be. Some posts in here are very insightful.

An example would be my brother, got in, then stepped right back out of school when he a) lost interest in school and
b) was offered a job in Taiwan by someone he made a connection with

Why would someone want to drop out of HS though, it is VERY easy compared to university, and we're guided every step of the way. If anything, it opens more doors to better opportunity. Some employers might not expect a degree, but seeing a high school graduation on the resume is better than seeing an elementary graduation on there.

The game of life......man i got it easy right now

Last edited by Phozy; 08-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #145
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Tradespeople are enjoying their time in the sun because of our petroleum economy and of course, 150K-200K/year is nothing to sniff at. But, that's basically a tradesperson's ceiling (unless they own their own company) and if you're a professional such as a lawyer, physician, or a consultant of some kind (basically any job that involves billable hours), your ceiling is much, much higher.
I completely agree.
By certification, I'm in the world of technology-trades. However, I just started getting my feet wet in the business world as well, and I've decided to jump ship within the next year or so.

It really depends on the trade. A plumber is not going to make as much as a process operator, unless he owns his own company, but that's also trailing off into business.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #146
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Haven't read through the whole thread but here's what a handful of my dropout friends are doing (I only know less than 10...)

1.) Dropped out at Grade 12 after term 2 of 3. Worked at White spot since day one starting as a dishwasher. He is now pretty high up in the kitchen hierarchy at his local white spot and living comfortably.

2.) Stuck to the end of Grade 12 but never finished as he failed some critical courses. Works promoting for a club. I barely see this guy anymore since i'm not a clubbing guy. But the last time I've seen him, he said that though he makes a bit of dough - it's such gruelling work (not as flashy as it seems on the surface) and wished he never got into the business.

3.) Dropped out end of Grade 11 and then went on to "borrow" some of his parents' money to open up a small factory in China. His factory produces graded metal nuts and bolts, and has them shipped worldwide (including Canada). Yes he was a bit spoiled in the beginning with the "borrowing" from his parents... but he has definitely hit it big and is living VERY comfortably.

4.) This is where the fairytales end: Dropped out midway thru Grade 12, Dealt drugs and then got hooked ONTO drugs before successfully getting completely clean mid last year. Works at fast food chain store making minimum wage.

5.) As above but without the drugs, Worked several part time jobs including Subway, Starbucks, McDonalds, Future Shop. Last I heard she is now working as an associate at Nine West and Aldo... both part time.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #147
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Muderfudger I ain't no powered by mama where did you get this idea from? and I've increased my budget. Well looks like I can't talk till I get my car.
BallerOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #148
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
shut the fuck up you loser.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:59 AM   #149
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Oh snapzzzzzzzzzzz
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #150
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Muderfudger I ain't no powered by mama where did you get this idea from? and I've increased my budget. Well looks like I can't talk till I get my car.
HA! Gaaaay!
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote