REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I usually only travel alone.

Spent a month in Vietnam, a week in tokyo, a few days in singapore and a few days in san fran.

I've been all over the world and usually alone only. It's the only way to travel imo. Although you do get lonely.

I leave for work soon, but I can do a little writeup on the advantages and share some stories.
Advertisement
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #27
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Yeah, you can always meet new friends along the way especially if you travel to places in asia like japan or korea...

I can't recall the link but there are sites specifically designed for you to travel alone and they set you up with other foreigners also travelling alone so you can meet and socialize

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Questions for people who have traveled alone:

1. Did you plan your own trip or follow tours? Maybe half half? If it was planned, did you stick with your plan the whole way or constantly change on the fly?

2. Did you feel intimated to travel by yourself? What if you got lost? What if you got scammed or robbed?

3. It is hard to disguise that you a tourist when you are traveling. Single traveler is definitely an easier target to scam/rob. What precaution did you take to appear less vulnerable?

4. If traveling to multiple places obviously it is best to travel light. What are some items that was your life saver/essentials that you would never travel without?

5. How did you meet new people? Any stories of just chatting up a random stranger and end up having an amazing time? Do you still keep in contact with these new friends? Any romantic encounters? Would you even consider to have a serious relationship with someone you meet on a trip knowing that you have to leave?

5. Is it obviously easier to travel alone as a guy. What tips would you give girls who want to travel alone?

6. Some places are more fun to go with friends like Vegas/Mexico. Where are some places that would me more enjoyable to go alone?

Past:
Mercedes 2003 SLK 230
VW 2007 Rabbit MK5
Yuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #29
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

1. Planned out a general direction of where I want to visit. It was difficult to stick to a plan because there may be places that you'd want to visit longer / shorter. I did download an app from mtrip that tells you where the good places are and there's a map along with it too.

2. Not intimated to travel by myself at all. It's fun to get lost, if anything just ask the locals for direction. It's great to step out of your comfort zone and not be shy.

3. The places that I went to are very touristy (New York, DC, Orlando) and people were wearing nicer stuff than I did. So i didn't really have to worry about it at all.

4. I brought my gorillapod for my camera.. couldn't live without that. My phone so I could steal wifi from Starbucks. I used a Dell Voice app so I could call home / toll free whenever I need to.

5. I met new people in the airport because there's more common ground to talk about. Just chatted with them and shared our experience. Added them on facebook and that's pretty much it

6. Carry light, it's expensive and annoying to bring your extra luggage from places to places. It costed me 25-45 bucks everytime I fly because of it. If you could fit it into one carry on, even better.

7. I really enjoyed going to DC by myself. There are lots of museums and they are all free. So I can go at my own pace and see everything that I want. I did alot of walking there, I wouldn't have as much fun if I went with somebody.
Wilsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

i went around germany alone...usually you'd meet people in hostels and share stories...they'll give you advice as well...

oh yah..you can't beat sleeping in the airport haha...1 full day of going around can make you bonkers...

i miss those days...
Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuffa View Post

1. Did you plan your own trip or follow tours? Maybe half half? If it was planned, did you stick with your plan the whole way or constantly change on the fly?

2. Did you feel intimated to travel by yourself? What if you got lost? What if you got scammed or robbed?

3. It is hard to disguise that you a tourist when you are traveling. Single traveler is definitely an easier target to scam/rob. What precaution did you take to appear less vulnerable?

4. If traveling to multiple places obviously it is best to travel light. What are some items that was your life saver/essentials that you would never travel without?

5. How did you meet new people? Any stories of just chatting up a random stranger and end up having an amazing time? Do you still keep in contact with these new friends? Any romantic encounters? Would you even consider to have a serious relationship with someone you meet on a trip knowing that you have to leave?

5. Is it obviously easier to travel alone as a guy. What tips would you give girls who want to travel alone?

6. Some places are more fun to go with friends like Vegas/Mexico. Where are some places that would me more enjoyable to go alone?
1) I did half and half twice....and enjoyed both parts. They both add a lot of life experience and you will discover things about yourself which are invaluable and are good life lessons.

2) Part of those life lessons are learning to depend on yourself, planning things, relying on your intuition, opening up to others, communicating with people you don't know, thinking on the fly, and if plans change, going with the flow. You will get lost, you might lose stuff, but for the most part, in the big picture of things, it's probably going to make you grow as a person.

3) It's actually not as easy to spot a tourist as you think. For example, there are thousands of people visiting Vancouver and us as locals don't really think too much about it. Sure, if you see a big camera, sure, it's more obvious. But even then, they could be an avid photographer. If they're looking at a map, then yes, it's a giveaway. But I know as a local here, that I want to give people a good impression of Vancouver and will help them out. People whom I've talked to in the countries I visited seemed the same way and were very helpful. For carrying valuables, definitely carry a money pouch or have all your valuables in a backpack you can lock up. Subways seem to be a popular theft area so keep vigilant and keep moving around rotationally (not quickly mind you), or against a wall - it's also tougher for pick pockets if they make eye contact or you're moving.

4) Most of the people I met were in the hostels or hotels. There seems to be Canadians everywhere in the world. I still keep in touch with a few people that I've met on FB. If they live in a place you might visit in the future, you have a tour guide, someone to hang out with, or even a place to stay. Always keep the lines of communication open.

5) Single women are definitely more hit on if travelling alone. They have to have relatively thick skins, and definitely be more wary of getting into difficult situations. It's probably beneficial to meet and make friends before doing the "more risky" stuff like going clubbing at night or to parties. Daytime at the touristy places are less of an issue of course.

6) Europe I found easy to travel around and many places in Asia as well.

Definitely do it if you have the opportunity - I have never regretted making any travel plans, whether single or with others.
Adrenaline Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #32
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
efcollegebreak.com

heard only positive reviews from friends and i might try it next year
Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuffa View Post

1. Have a gen direction before hand. expect and adapt when it changes.

2. too many what ifs. just get out of your comfort zone. just learn to adapt like everyone else.

3. don't look like a target. look confident but always be aware of your surroundings. carry a traveller pouch, and make sure you don't have too much money in your pocket.

4. smartphone? loading maps on it was pretty useful for me.

5. group tours, hostels and irish bars are pretty good. everyone goes there with the same mentality.

6. there's def more guys travelling alone than girls. i wouldn't necessarily say it's easier being a guy and travelling alone though. this might be a guys way of thinking but i've always thought if i looked visibly lost in a place where i couldn't speak the language, i'd be more likely to be approached by someone offering help if i was a girl. i've met quite a few lone female travellers. all of them are confident and know what they want.

7. there are none. it's always more enjoyable to go with friends. that being said i've found that larger cities are good for solo travellers.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #34
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I leave in 3 weeks for a month of solo traveling..Done it before and quite frankly unless you are planning on doing a trip with someone whom you know you can get along with that will accommodate your wants and needs as you will for them, traveling by yourself is the way to go. As others have suggested, being on your own not only teaches you to survive in a foreign environment on your own, it pushes you to test your limits. Everyone's limits vary, but its taking those initial baby steps outside of your comfort zone that enable you to broaden your horizons..cause after all, isn't that the reason most of us travel anyways !? I know I feel the most alive when I am somewhere new and my senses are being bombarded by all that is unfamiliar.

Happy Travels!

p.s : take lots of photos..you'll look back on them with a warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #35
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
well it seems as thought this vacation of mine was not planned out all that well.. hopefully my next vacation will be better. I just stayed home and chilled out, hung out with le gf, and thats basically it.

I plan on going to Europe next year and i have friends in certain parts of Europe so that should be fun, most likely will be going alone.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

if one can't speak japanese or read japanese .would you recommend travelling to a foreign country(japan) solo.anyone done this
advice?
canuckshockey is offline   Reply With Quote