REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
IT Networking @ BCIT

I have to pay tuition for classes in two days, and after talking to my cousin about our future, I've decided on a career change from business to IT networking. I've always had an interest in working in the IT field, but like many others, thought that the only key to success was graduating from university with a degree in business or science.

I've done a little research on RS, and it seems that most people need at least their CCNA and MCSE certificates along with at least some experiences relateable to the field such as help desk or tech support.

But with that said.. I'm looking at the list of courses at BCIT, and I'm so confused on what exactly I should be taking.. I really want to apply ASAP for September and hope I get in since I don't want to waste a semester when I could be furthering my education.

BCIT : : Computing & IT : : Browse Programs

Should I just start off with the Cisco Certified Network Associate program? My cousin is taking the Computer Information Technology program, but the intake is closed for this upcoming semester as far I can see.. It says the next intake will be on October 1st, but the program is only offered once per year. I like that the one he is taking has co-op built in, but my program for CCNA is only part-time.

Any helpful insights would be appreciated, thanks.
Advertisement
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I just finished the first year of Computer Information Systems Administration which includes the CCNA courses that you're looking into. I would apply for this program instead because you'll also be taking the MSCE, RHSCA and A+ courses. This program is full-time for 2 years (there's also a part-time option) and in the second year, you'll have a choice to go into learning more advanced Cisco courses (leads to CCNP certification), or Linux/Microsoft.

Keep in mind that you need to take any certification exams on your own time as they aren't included with your courses. Hope this helps!
dizzybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
any course that is "geared" around certification is useless,

go online, find the tests, memorise them, take the tests.

I got my mcitp in 1 month just cramming answers into my brain.

Do I know anything about that stuff?

hell no,

did it get me the job?

hell yes,

next step is winging it while on the job.

if your serious about school, get a computer systems diploma or degree, because that can not be cheated and skipped, and worth more then stupid microsoft or cisco certs. if the course only trains you to get certs, save your money, il give you all the answers you want.

get a diploma or a degree if its what you want to do.

If you can handle programming, go that route, most jobs, and highest paid.

if your looking at network admin or general IT, dont bother, tonnes of brown guys and immigrants willing to do your job for 8 bucks an hour, experience and diploma's dont matter here.

there also arent very many jobs out there, and when one does come up, your up against 10000 other unemployed IT people.

get into a specialized field where people cant come off the street and do it, and find the niche.

the current niche is writing iphone and ipad apps, tons of jobs, tons of money.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybone View Post
I just finished the first year of Computer Information Systems Administration which includes the CCNA courses that you're looking into. I would apply for this program instead because you'll also be taking the MSCE, RHSCA and A+ courses. This program is full-time for 2 years (there's also a part-time option) and in the second year, you'll have a choice to go into learning more advanced Cisco courses (leads to CCNP certification), or Linux/Microsoft.

Keep in mind that you need to take any certification exams on your own time as they aren't included with your courses. Hope this helps!
After you finish the program, what specific job opportunities or degree opportunities are there for this program? I see there is no co-op.

Glove, is the program that dizzybone described what you would consider to be general IT?

Weighing options right now.. not much since a lot of programs are already closed for September, fuck.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
you will need to do a CCNA anyways to get into any type of Networking IT job. so you can either do it before or after, i would suggest doing it after.

I went to a seminar on the CCNA program offered at BCIT. it was kind of just a brainwashing session to the graduating class that "YOU NEED TO DO CCNA TO GET ANY JOB IN TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRY" sort of thing. I didn't get my CCNA, kind of wish i did but at the time, though I don't need it right now for my current position. When looking for a job I realized that a lot of companies are looking for people who are CCNA certified, I was lucky to find a career that didn't need it.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
any course that is "geared" around certification is useless,

go online, find the tests, memorise them, take the tests.

I got my mcitp in 1 month just cramming answers into my brain.

Do I know anything about that stuff?

hell no,

did it get me the job?

hell yes,

next step is winging it while on the job.
Yes, cramming is one way to go. This program gives you the hands on experience you need for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
After you finish the program, what specific job opportunities or degree opportunities are there for this program? I see there is no co-op.
After completing your 2 years and getting the diploma, you're able to use those credits towards a bachelor's. This is one of the most popular options according to the instructors BCIT : : Forensic Investigation (Computer Crime Option): Part-time, Bachelor of Technology. Recruiters from companies come near the end of the second year to hire would-be grads.
dizzybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Say! Say! Say!

Interesting.. but I can't say that the Forensic Investigation program interests me at all. The CISA program seems to be good in that covers what seems to be the general bases of network administration, but as Glove said.. kinda worried if I go that route and can't find a decent job.

One of my friends took Computer Systems Technology, and he seems to be doing pretty well. Did his co-op at SAP near the end of the program, and they asked him to stay as a business intelligence tools engineer.

Since CST isn't available until January.. I think I may have to wait it out.. I'm definitely leaning towards that as programming albeit not exactly my forte, seems to pay the most dividends later on in life. And according to my friend, as long as you get 70% in the first half of the program, you qualify for co-op, something that's extremely important to me since I want the experience.

Ugh.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I finished the Computer Information Technology program and got my diploma. From my experience, its much easier to get a job if you get into the co-op program; that is compete against all of the CIT and CST students and get 1 of the 30 spots. The minimum requirement on paper was 70% at the time and it only counts your first term mark, but in actuality, its more around 80%. Its not hard, but it requires a lot of time and dedication to your homework and studying. Try hard for that first term if you do want to get into co-op.

That being said, I have friends who are now in their respective career jobs that came out of the same program as I, ie. web designer, IT consulting, network administrator. The most important part is to network yourself. Having many connections gives you a much greater advantage over others and in life as well. One connection may spark many others. Be personable.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I would say for CCNA Level 1 to 3 you don't really need to go into class for it. Just study on your own and then do the exam. After that take the class from BCIT since they have the lab/equipment/hardware for hands on practice that you will need.
For Network+ A+ Security + just read a book and do the exam hell you can even download the study guide from Free MCTS MCITP CCNA CISSP and Network+ practice exams, study notes and forums
I would use that site contains lot's of info you will find helpful.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
If you have any questions about CST at all let me know. I finished it two years ago and am in a career developing web apps and mobile apps. Really fun stuff but can be stressful a times.

I'll have to agree with Glove about getting into something specialized instead of IT.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
If you have any questions about CST at all let me know. I finished it two years ago and am in a career developing web apps and mobile apps. Really fun stuff but can be stressful a times.

I'll have to agree with Glove about getting into something specialized instead of IT.
How did you find this program? I have a few friends going into CST September
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:

I did too! Which set were you in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
How did you find this program? I have a few friends going into CST September
Personally, I found the program to be really tough. I came straight from high school and I never experienced college/university schooling until BCIT. I found myself constantly studying and doing homework to make sure I didn't get behind. It gets tough when you need to balance a lot of courses, you end up realizing its not worth it for some (BLAW and COMM for example lol) and focus on the actual COMP courses.

A lot of the people I started with ended up slacking and did not get past level1/2. They're still at BCIT trying to get through the courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
I did too! Which set were you in?
I was in SetB and took digi pro in the 2nd year
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #14

^ Listen to this guy. He's helped me answer some really pressing questions I had when I was still in level 1 CIT and gave me a lot of insight as well. Oh and that reminds me, if Susan Woo is still teaching COMM, be careful of her. Though I think she got transferred into teaching non-computer programs after my year because tonnes of people complained about her marking scheme.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Is there a big difference between CST and CIT?
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Personally, I found the program to be really tough. I came straight from high school and I never experienced college/university schooling until BCIT. I found myself constantly studying and doing homework to make sure I didn't get behind. It gets tough when you need to balance a lot of courses, you end up realizing its not worth it for some (BLAW and COMM for example lol) and focus on the actual COMP courses.
Yeah this is a common thing that happens at BCIT. Alot of high school students think they know what a heavy workload is. Then they get caught off guard with at least 8 courses a semester and they start shitting bricks. I actually know of a few people that dropped out because they couldnt handle the workloads.

Is it true that alot of CST students literally spend all weekend in a computer lab coding?
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
Say! Say! Say!

My friend said some of his classmates stayed up for 20 hours doing homework.. Doesn't seem impossible with the amount of work that's present in the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJC
Hi there,

Took a quick read through your thread. I've been out of the Info tech field for about 5 years (career change). If you're set on the path, my opinions are pretty biased.

I chose business/project management/management as I found it to have alot more potential for growth (accelerated growth compared to IT). For me and alot of my colleagues at the time, we all got 'in' through co-op programs. None of us had any certifications, but we got our foot in the door through co-op and proved ourselves. Alot of those colleagues I had at the time are still going strong, but IT especially tier 1/2 support (from the sounds of what you're interested in doing) is quite difficult to secure a good job at a good company. Helpdesks are still offshored, and site support is usually temporary/contract based now. I'd stay away from low tier support, and specialize in Network engineering, Network Architecture, Network security, etc.

Certifications will at least help on a resume if you haven't racked up the job experience. But they are costly, and generally under valued by hiring managers.

As a hiring manager of Sys admins, system engineers, software engineers etc... I look at practical and relevant job experience, that will earn an interview and then it's all about fit. I personally could care less if someone has a whack of certs. Hope this helps.

Cheers
More information for others like me out there!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
Say! Say! Say!

Question for those that took CST, do we get any semesters off?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #19

CST is a lot more programming than CIT. I don't exactly know what happens in CIT lol.

And yes there are times during the program where you spend a lot of time awake working on projects and assignments. It can get pretty tough.

You get summer off but you can do courses to lighten up the load
Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
Say! Say! Say!

Hmm.. see right now the program starts in January.. the one I want to apply. Will I still get summers off or will it be the fall in that case?

Since I can't make it into September, am I able to take part-time courses from the same program curriculum and have them transfer over in the next semester?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #21
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybone View Post

That's the program I'm taking in September =3
-ensay- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #22

I did the 2 year program at BCIT for CIT. Like Forbidden said, we don't touch programming alot. Instead, we learn a bit of everything, such as databases, web administration, etc..
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #23
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Sorry to steal the thread here, but I have some questions regarding to the computing programs offered by BCIT.

I always had interest in developing web application software, but my programming knowledge/skills is very minimal. Basically, I want to learn about Java, PHP, objective, CSS, HTML, etc.

Given that I have some prior experience with C/C++/OOP from my EE degree (not fluent at all though; might have forgotten some of it) , then does anyone recommend the part-time studies program? (The Applied Software Development ASD certificate + Web Application Software Development WASD certificate)

Or is the alternative full time, 30-week, fast track program a good choice? (Software Systems Developer -Web Programmer Option certificate)

OR should I actually go through the full CST program?

For most software developer jobs, is there a big difference between the certificate and the diploma? Given that I plan to apply for entry developer positions in the future?

If anyone who has been through the program can offer some suggestions/provide info, then that'll be great. TIA!
Nismo Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Hmm.. see right now the program starts in January.. the one I want to apply. Will I still get summers off or will it be the fall in that case?

Since I can't make it into September, am I able to take part-time courses from the same program curriculum and have them transfer over in the next semester?
You just end up being offset 1 semester. Look at the options you're planning to take as well. You might end up having to wait until september anyways once you get to your 3rd term.

Ie: if you start in January now and want to take Technical Programming (their 3rd term starts in January) you should be ok. But if you want to take Digital Processing or Data Communications you will have to wait until september for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo Fanboy View Post
Sorry to steal the thread here, but I have some questions regarding to the computing programs offered by BCIT.

I always had interest in developing web application software, but my programming knowledge/skills is very minimal. Basically, I want to learn about Java, PHP, objective, CSS, HTML, etc.

Given that I have some prior experience with C/C++/OOP from my EE degree (not fluent at all though; might have forgotten some of it) , then does anyone recommend the part-time studies program? (The Applied Software Development ASD certificate + Web Application Software Development WASD certificate)

Or is the alternative full time, 30-week, fast track program a good choice? (Software Systems Developer -Web Programmer Option certificate)

OR should I actually go through the full CST program?

For most software developer jobs, is there a big difference between the certificate and the diploma? Given that I plan to apply for entry developer positions in the future?

If anyone who has been through the program can offer some suggestions/provide info, then that'll be great. TIA!

What kind of web applications are you wanting to make? Enterprise stuff or more along the lines of facebook games/apps?

I haven't done any of the fast track or certificate programs so I can't really say how they are.

CST gives you a great grasp of general programming in a lot of different languages. Java > then more Java > Some web languages> C > C++ and then you drift off into other languages once you choose the option you want to take. It's very practical and you learn by doing rather than learning the concepts to the language.

Honestly, if you're planning on being a developer (mostly programming the software than architecting it) I'm not too sure if there really is a big difference to a certificate and a diploma. Just prove you know how to program and understand the principals behind the different types of languages (ie: OOP vs procedural) and you know how to problem solve (what programming is) you should be good to go. Work on examples and try to think of something to make or do while you're in school (might be tough at BCIT though).

Also, for anyone who wants to get into development even faster: learn objective-c. A lot of schools do not offer this in their curriculum but they are one of the most sought out developers right now. Head to the apple developer website and write some code in objective-c. Run a Hackintosh box if you have to.

Also learning HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript (jQuery) and JavaScript MVC Frameworks (Backbone.js, Ember.js) will also be a big help on your resume.

Feel free to PM me as well if you have any more questions
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #25
Say! Say! Say!

Just bumping this thread for my cousin (I've decided to take another route in my education instead of IT).

He's finishing the first year of the IT program in BCIT. He's looking to volunteer and gain experience in his field. Right now he's just learning general IT stuff and he hasn't gotten to the point where he needs to specialize.

By chance, does anyone have a hookup for my cousin? He really wants to gain some extra experience, and I just want to help him out.