REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I wish I knew this advice before. My black car looks like shit with all the swirls and its a 2010 model.
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
I wish I knew this advice before. My black car looks like shit with all the swirls and its a 2010 model.
The good news is, we can fix it. It's not always cheap, but we can fix it.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

is this any different then x-cote?

is it true you can only do this a few times in the lifetime of the paint?

the black paint on my range rover looks like ASS. car wash's really distroy a paintjob
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ta View Post
is this any different then x-cote?

is it true you can only do this a few times in the lifetime of the paint?

the black paint on my range rover looks like ASS. car wash's really distroy a paintjob
Opti coat / Opti Guard are totally different than X-Cote / Restore FX. In simple terms, Opti Coat is a permanent protective coating for your paint. X-Cote is actual automotive clear coat and has no protective qualities but has the ability to fill and hide an amazing amount of damage.

Opti Coat will last the life time of the paint if not removed through abrasion i.e.polishing. If you do nothing but use "touch less" car washes, Opti Coat should last the life of the paint. If you wash it by hand and incur some light swirls, it can be polished ONCE with a finishing pad / polish. If it is polished with anything more abrasive or more than once, the Opti Coat will be removed and will need to be reapplied. This can be done as many times as you would like. It will not deteriorate the clear coat in any way. Unlike X Cote, Opti Coat can be polished off and reapplied. X Cote must be sanded off as its actual clear coat.

If you are using a touch less carwash, the trim may be affected, but it shouldn't be doing much damage to the clear. I can fix the paint for you. I'll post a couple pics for you.

Here you go. I can make your truck look like this.

Last edited by 911fanatic; 09-14-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #30
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
just wondering, if im buying a new vehicle can i ask them not to wash it prior to giving it to me? lol!
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
just wondering, if im buying a new vehicle can i ask them not to wash it prior to giving it to me? lol!
Yes you can. Just make sure the salesman pulls through with that request.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #32
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Pretty stoked for my appointment with Ken next week.. I hope the OptiCoat lives up to it's name!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #33

It will. No worries.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #34
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Ken, I've always been skeptical of these types of "permanent" polishes/waxes/coatings. I always presumed that anything applied to the car after its left the factory couldn't possibly be permanent (the only thing permanent is clear coat right after/during painting in the factory).

If this really is permanent why wouldn't everyone get this done and then never have to pay for detailing again??

dan
SkydiveDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydiveDan View Post
Ken, I've always been skeptical of these types of "permanent" polishes/waxes/coatings. I always presumed that anything applied to the car after its left the factory couldn't possibly be permanent (the only thing permanent is clear coat right after/during painting in the factory).

If this really is permanent why wouldn't everyone get this done and then never have to pay for detailing again??

dan
Hey Dan. Yes, it is in fact a permanent coating. The only way to remove it is with abrasion ( i.e. polishing ). Some people are skeptical as is easy to understand given the number of years dealers have been ripping people off with products like Diamond Kote among others. The thing to remember is that although it is permanent, it is not bulletproof. Poor washing and drying techniques will still marr it. We can lightly polish it once without removing the coating but a second polish will remove the coating resulting in it needing to be reapplied. If you have any questions about it Dan, feel free to ask.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #36
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Hey Dan. Yes, it is in fact a permanent coating. The only way to remove it is with abrasion ( i.e. polishing ). Some people are skeptical as is easy to understand given the number of years dealers have been ripping people off with products like Diamond Kote among others. The thing to remember is that although it is permanent, it is not bulletproof. Poor washing and drying techniques will still marr it. We can lightly polish it once without removing the coating but a second polish will remove the coating resulting in it needing to be reapplied. If you have any questions about it Dan, feel free to ask.
I'm interested if it does what it says it will. I don't have much time anymore for polishing and waxing so I'm hoping this will keep my car sparkling without the need for countless hours in the garage. Will it still need a coat of wax every now and then to keep it "popping"? And will this stuff bead water for years as long as I take car of it?

I just got my car out from the shop after having it colour changed from black to white. White is pretty easy to take care of already so I'm thinking this stuff might be my ticket to years of beading water! The paint is still soft but once it completely cures I will probably come by.

dan
SkydiveDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #37

Yes Dan, the Opti Coat will last for years. Give me a call if you want to discuss using it at length. 604.561.5121
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #38
Meow

pics of freakshows opticoat? I will still be comming to you sometime after january, if i get it done then will it still be as good for the revscene summer meet, if i only use touchless washes?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #39
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
@SkydiveDan, I'm probably at least as skeptical as you, and I called numerous detailing shops and spent an unreasonable number of hours doing as much internet research as I could. As far as I could tell, OptiCoat is the real deal.

This thread for me, was the most convincing. I read everything that the OP posted in it:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html

@Araaadi, I had two cars done, and I'm not sure if Ken took pics while he did them.
I didn't take any pictures, but intend on running both cars through a touchless wash soon to see if they look exactly like they did when they left Ken's shop. I will take pictures after that, since pictures right after they're detailed are kind of useless (for the purpose of proving OptiCoat)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #40

Sorry guys, I didn't get any finished pics.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #41
RS Lurker, I don't post!

beautiful job!
kwang411 is offline   Reply With Quote