REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Going from a 2011 Civic to a 2006 s2000 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672755-going-2011-civic-2006-s2000.html)

Araaadi 08-22-2012 10:58 PM

Going from a 2011 Civic to a 2006 s2000

Firstly I would like to blame roach's thread on trading his sti for a s2000. I have been bored with my civic for a few months now, I have a 2011 civic se. I am just bored because it's slow there's no thrill. I currently owe 16,000 on my car, I am looking to see if I could trade in it and pretty much cancel out my loan and start a new loan on a 06 s2000 I saw on craigslist for $19000.

In my head so far

Pros of my civic are
cheap finance rates (0.9)
warranty till 2018
cheap to mod
32xxx kms
I am first and only owner

Cons of civic are
automatic
slow
no thrill

pros of s2k
convertible
fun to drive
not much mod needed
could take to auto x
timeless look
cheaper monthly

cons
2 seats
higher interest rates
low remaining warranty
98xxx kms
older car

Is it a worthy trade in? Sorry if it's a repeat of roach's thread, I just didn't want to hijack his thread.

Energy 08-22-2012 11:07 PM

You remind me of myself awhile back. I had a new 08 Civic sedan and modded it out but like you I got really bored of it and traded it in for an S2000.

I can't help you with the financial stuff but I know that I never looked back after that trade.

Sky_High 08-22-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Araaadi (Post 8010736)
Cons of civic are
automatic
slow
no thrill
I am first and only owner

That's a con? :fulloffuck:

Araaadi 08-22-2012 11:15 PM

Oops ill fix that. Thanks =)

Yea, I bought my civic in a rush when i turned 19 just to have a car. If I got a SI I wouldn't want to trade but I am quite bored and been meaning to try something new. I was considering a frs/brz/370z but they're way out of my price range until I finish school.

afadafa 08-22-2012 11:16 PM

I think there are probably more factors that play in with regards to your decision making. How about practicality? Do you have a family? It will ultimately be up to you and what you prioritize right now. If you're young (or older) with no serious commitments, and are looking for some thrill in your life then, by all means, do it because the S2000 will definitely fulfill that.

Also, don't speak too soon about "not much mod needed", because if the mod bug bites, it is very easy to get carried away with this particular car in my opinion. Switching from a Civic to a S2000 is a whole other ball game, they are completely different types of cars, which is why it is important for you to reflect whether a roadster will fit your current and immediate future lifestyle (especially if you will only have access to this one car). You will find that both OEM and aftermarket parts for the S2000 will be significantly more expensive than most Hondas, which means replacement parts and maintenance parts will be more expensive. I hope you make the right decision! (you all know I'm rooting for the S2000 on the inside!)

icemiko 08-23-2012 08:31 AM

I went from a 8th Gen Si to a S2000 and it is a completely different car. The S2000 out handles the Si and in terms of performance/handling, it is the better car.

98xxx KM is nothing as long as the car was maintained properly.

Like others said, it really depends on what you need/want at this stage of life because the S2000 is only a 2 seater and it will be costly if you start to mod it.

And with the shitty rainy weather here, don't expect to be opening the top too much.

Araaadi 08-23-2012 08:57 AM

The km's don't bother me too much, I am going to take my time in finding the right s2000 , the one I was looking at might be sold.
Two seats don't bother me, I am youngest in my family , only have a gf to drag around and if i go out with friends they can drive. The top down is an added bonus I guess, I would most likely get hit by the mod bug and slowly change things, a hardtop being one of them.

I guess I have my mind pretty set on getting one if I can find a good deal, but if it doesn't happen I guess I won't be too crushed.

4444 08-23-2012 09:35 AM

so you drive a car you don't own (owe $16K on it) and want to upgrade to a potentially more expensive

you are the problem with this world

do this instead, get a life - a car doesn't make you... but maybe that's just me, i've bought all my cars with cash (and no, i'm not a baller, just hard working an fiscally responsible) and have had some nice cars to date

also, whats to say you won't tire of s2000 within a certain time frame?

4444 08-23-2012 09:36 AM

also, trade in a 2011 se civic for $16K - ya, right

Supafly 08-23-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8010957)
so you drive a car you don't own (owe $16K on it) and want to upgrade to a potentially more expensive

do this instead, get a life - a car doesn't make you... but maybe that's just me, i've bought all my cars with cash (and no, i'm not a baller, just hard working an fiscally responsible) and have had some nice cars to date

Thats great; want a cookie?...cause Im pretty sure nobody gives a flying fuck about you and your opinions. It IS you.

This guy wants a car that makes him HAPPY, I think thats all that matters.

46_valentinor 08-23-2012 09:52 AM

^how does he have a problem?
you don't know his current financial state so concluding that he has a problem just because he wants to get rid of his car and get a car thats pretty much in the same price range a problem?

i bought my first bike when i was 16, a bigger bike when i was 17 and my s2000 when i was 18, i made sure i knew what i was getting into and worked and attended school at the same time. paid of my car in two years and didn't let the payments take over my life.

i would say if you don't know what you are getting into then you are an idiot. if you do your homework, are responsible with the commitment then no, you're not an idiot. its part of growing up.

to the op, drive one to see if its worth it and make sure you do a test drive with the top up and also down! =D

dvst8 08-23-2012 10:09 AM

Op,

Depends on your priorities. You will need to decide on these yourself. No one will be able to decide for you.

No doubt the S2k is a great car to have. If all the other things in your life are working out, you will enjoy driving it a lot more.

cho 08-23-2012 10:25 AM

i have a 09 civic that im financing
so many times i've thought about trading it in, etc etc

i've already put so much money into it, why end up just throwing it away
only 2 years left, either can be the daily, or i can sell it straight out for some cash back

i say dont dig yourself deeper in the hole by losing MORE money returning it and getting ANOTHER loan

just my 2 cents

(i agree with the boring automatic side of things though zzzzzzzzzzzz)

ps. 4 doors more whores

asr 08-23-2012 10:41 AM

It is your call now. You drive a civic now, so you must really like the V-tec. S2k is Corner>straightline. Great car for Autocross or track.
If I have extra money, I will go for a s2k in future for sure.
I test drive one s2k with 45000kms and clean title. The color is white with red interiror. I would say the car is 98/100 super mint condition. Price was also fair 24000.
The reason I didn't buy the s2k is
1. when the convertible is closed, there are two huge blind spots behind you. It is very hassle for me to back the car.
2. It is a small interior space with 2 seats

Araaadi 08-23-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8010957)

Just because I finance the car, it doesn't make it not mine. The way I see live is obviously different then how you see it. I am young once, I want to enjoy life while I am young. I don't want to be 24 and done school and wish I did life differently. Money comes and go with time and it isn't something I worry about. I want to be able to grow up and tell people I enjoyed my life and did things the way I want. If it is choosing to blow a whole lot of money on cars, then be it, this is a forum of car enthusiast , I'm sure everyone here blows a stupid amount of money into their cars.That being said, I've been told that the s2000 I want is most likely gone. So I will be paitent and when another one that interest me comes into the market, I will go test drive it and see if I do love it enough to trade in. Also decided to go test drive a 370z/frs/gen coupe to see if they might be worth the wait.

mos_skeeto 08-23-2012 10:54 AM

I was in a similar mindset a while back. How about looking at a ~$5000 mx-5? It's no s2000 but it's fun to drive and you can get your hands dirty with a haynes manual and learn about doing your own maintenance. I ended up not doing this because insurance is quite high but it could be an affordable summer or weekend car.

Acura604 08-23-2012 11:12 AM

Summer cruising with the top down is almost over... FALL/Winter is approaching.. definitely NOT S2000 time. skip it and revisit Spring 2013.

ree666 08-23-2012 12:20 PM

Also factor in, if s2000 is your first manual and rear wheel car you have to be careful of the car's characteristics like snap-oversteer.

im 23 and have gone through my share of cars, and i wished i went straight to the s2000. Make sure you are financially stable, because there are unforeseeable costs of driving. I bought mine when i was 20 in university and made sure i had saved enough to purchase out right because big car payments and school isnt a good mixture.

And I do agree with your yolo speech, if your spending money on a means of transportation might as well get one you really enjoy =P

Energy 08-23-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Araaadi (Post 8010736)
Cons of civic are
automatic
slow
no thrill

You're too young for this. Lots of people go YOLO for the wrong reasons (smoking, drugs, alcoholism, affairs, etc) but you should be able to enjoy a fun car while you're still young*.

*As long as you can financially afford it.

SumAznGuy 08-23-2012 01:44 PM

Is this car going to be your daily driver?

If it is, please consider you will need snow tires for the car when the temperature starts to drop.
And all season tires would just be WRONG on the S2000.

46_valentinor 08-23-2012 01:53 PM

^+1

a GOOD set of snow tire makes all the difference. i was able to make it up a pretty steep hill in 08 when my dad's jeep on all seasons couldn't.

skiiipi 08-23-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Araaadi (Post 8011008)
Just because I finance the car, it doesn't make it not mine. The way I see live is obviously different then how you see it. I am young once, I want to enjoy life while I am young. I don't want to be 24 and done school and wish I did life differently. Money comes and go with time and it isn't something I worry about. I want to be able to grow up and tell people I enjoyed my life and did things the way I want. If it is choosing to blow a whole lot of money on cars, then be it, this is a forum of car enthusiast , I'm sure everyone here blows a stupid amount of money into their cars.That being said, I've been told that the s2000 I want is most likely gone. So I will be paitent and when another one that interest me comes into the market, I will go test drive it and see if I do love it enough to trade in. Also decided to go test drive a 370z/frs/gen coupe to see if they might be worth the wait.

I know exactly how you feel
i went thru this EXACT same scenario a few month back in february.
I wanted to trade in my subaru spec B for something "fun". I spent 2 month hunting for the "right" S2K....found one, only to have it sold the same day I was driving to the dealership with deposit in hand.
I ended up "settling" with a BMW Z4, dont regret the decision at all. Though I am currently looking at buying a second vehicle for winter/daily use.

My conclusion is...if you can afford it...do it..but I would suggest you buy a second vehicle (or have access to) on the days that you just need more room....sucks that I cant even put a large cooler in the trunk of my Z4.....

jpark 08-23-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemiko (Post 8010927)
...And with the shitty rainy weather here, don't expect to be opening the top too much.

if you go faster than 75km/h you wont get hit by the rain. true story

Araaadi 08-23-2012 03:34 PM

I was just about to grab snow tires for the civic and get my subs installed but im iffy about it till winter hits. So snow tires will be a sure thing with the s2000 and it will be my dd.

Glove 08-23-2012 03:35 PM

anyone who says yolo should get insta banned