REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Preventive measures on small dogs

Super long story short.

big + small dogs off leash. Big dog became aggressive. I wasn't sure if the dog would bite the small dog, but I've heard rumors if the small dogs wear a spiked studded collar, big dogs won't be able to snap their necks. Is this a rumor or does it have some truth to it?

sorry if this is a newbie questions, but I could have sworn i heard it somewhere.
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I haven't met anyone who uses spiked collars to protect small dogs against larger dogs, but the theory behind it is not entirely a rumor.

The origin of spiked collars is the protection of dogs used for hunting or to guard sheep flocks against predators, their use dates back to ancient Rome. Those collars were generally made of metal and locked around the dogs neck like a shackle, usually with nails sticking out. Search wolf collar on google images and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can still get true wolf collars, but they're hard to find and would be quite an interesting statement at the dog park.

Would the contemporary 'fashion' style studded collars give much protection against a bite to the neck? I wouldn't count on it preventing a neck break, because they're flexible, not that wide, and not that unpleasant to bite, but they would provide more defense than a little nylon strap. You might be able to find something that is a good balance between a wolf collar and a contemporary studded collar if you search for something designed for dogs used in wolf, bear, and pig hunting. Hard to say though.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Thanks so much
if a dog was going to play fight and bites on a small dog's neck (esp. aggressive dog) and they usually pick them up by their collar, and if the spikes / studdes (large/ spiky enough) most likely they won't try to bite as hard.

thanks for the input.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Explain the story a little bit further? Is the big dog yours or do you not have control over any type of training with the big dog? Where is this happening?
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote