REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Hit and run question. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672879-hit-run-question.html)

cdizzle_996 08-26-2012 08:52 AM

Hit and run question.

Long story short, I'm out of town for the night and my car was hit. My parents beighbour backed out of their driveway and hit my car. My mom was in the window on the phone and watched the entire thing happen and the girl just drove away. I called in and made a hit and run claim, do I also contact the police?

She just came home and I got a picture of the truck

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...492173273C.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...49287C99F9.jpg

Spidey 08-26-2012 08:56 AM

would have been better if the police were called right away. did you talk to your neighbour yet?

bluejays 08-26-2012 08:57 AM

is it just me or does the damage on the truck look like its been there for a while? can't really tell from the pic but the damage on the truck looks like its rusted already

cdizzle_996 08-26-2012 09:13 AM

There was previous damage, but if you look closely you can see green. I'm out of town and haven't seen the car aside from pictures, I guess I'll call the police when I'm home

TekDragon 08-26-2012 09:20 AM

Call the non emergency line to report a hit and run. Worst case, they tell you that it's not necessary.

cdizzle_996 08-26-2012 09:24 AM

I did call and report the hit and run to the icbc claim center and made a claim, she mentioned nothing about the police but I'm still going to call once I'm in home. I'm just glad it happened to my beater. What really pisses me off though Is that the women did it yesterday, was gone for the night and my parents told me she just came home an hour ago an never said a thing.

wing_woo 08-27-2012 09:55 AM

Of course she won't say anything, she doesn't think anyone saw her hit your car.

I've seen it at McDonald's parking lot too. Lucky for the Camaro guy, there were people outside eating and they all ran over to stop the driver that hit him from trying to get away.

Even at work, someone came into the parking lot, hit someone's car, got out and tried to push the hood back down before driving off! Someone upstairs saw it and ran over as the person was getting into their car.

terryjai 08-27-2012 10:39 AM

calling the police won't do you much...they don't really care about hit and run......but make sure to grab the girls plate number and give it to ICBC...cos she is liable for the damage.....if ICBC calls her up and she dosen't fess up...they might get her to go in to the claim center to do an inspection/damage comparison.

cdizzle_996 08-27-2012 10:40 AM

I called the police, they only get involved if the car is blocking traffic, or if there is injuries. Icbc will do an investigation, and take care of everything.

cdizzle_996 08-27-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryjai (Post 8013991)
calling the police won't do you much...they don't really care about hit and run......but make sure to grab the girls plate number and give it to ICBC...cos she is liable for the damage.....if ICBC calls her up and she dosen't fess up...they might get her to go in to the claim center to do an inspection/damage comparison.

I called in last night with her plate number, and that's exactly what they said.

terryjai 08-27-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 (Post 8013994)
I called in last night with her plate number, and that's exactly what they said.

nice nice...hope it gets solved soon and you don't have to pay your deductible!

cdizzle_996 08-29-2012 02:40 PM

Spoke to ICBC today, what a joke. They have to send a letter out to the registered owner. If they don't respond within a week, a second letter gets sent out and they have another week. So now we could be possibly 3 weeks down the road and my car still won't even be at the shop. Mean while I have no car and this person essentially gets off Scott free. The police don't issue a ticket, ICBC doesn't do anything, this whole situation is leaving me with a really sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully they do the right thing and it's only another week..

knight604 08-29-2012 02:43 PM

... why would the cops do anything..

ICBC will take care of this just takes time.

SumAznGuy 08-29-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight604 (Post 8016023)
... why would the cops do anything..

ICBC will take care of this just takes time.

Technically, the other person left the scene of an accident, which is against the law.
One of the mountie's involved in the airport tasering death was in an accident sometime afterwards, hitting a motorcyclist. He went home downed a few drinks before going back to the accident. He was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and obstruction of justice.

But because in this case the accident was minor to the police, they will not followup but to OP it is serious business cause he is out of a car to drive for the time being, and it is up in limbo if he has to pay for the repairs or not.

Spidey 08-29-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8016029)
Technically, the other person left the scene of an accident, which is against the law.
One of the mountie's involved in the airport tasering death was in an accident sometime afterwards, hitting a motorcyclist. He went home downed a few drinks before going back to the accident. He was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and obstruction of justice.

But because in this case the accident was minor to the police, they will not followup but to OP it is serious business cause he is out of a car to drive for the time being, and it is up in limbo if he has to pay for the repairs or not.

I don't think the damage to the car was extensive to deem it inoperable. Failing to remain is a MVA and also in the criminal code, but no one has even contacted the driver yet to see his/her side of the story. There IS a chance, the driver did not realize he/she struck another vehicle. It is unlikely, but still possible.

you can see some of the OP's car paint on the bumper of the truck... Too bad you don't have the licence plate of the truck in view as well.

knight604 08-29-2012 04:36 PM

^ and its your neighbour , they aren't going anywhere..

cdizzle_996 08-29-2012 05:03 PM

In response, my fender is jammed into the top of my tire, making it undrivable.

I do have a picture with the damage of the truck, and their plate.

gars 08-29-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 (Post 8016019)
Spoke to ICBC today, what a joke. They have to send a letter out to the registered owner. If they don't respond within a week, a second letter gets sent out and they have another week. So now we could be possibly 3 weeks down the road and my car still won't even be at the shop. Mean while I have no car and this person essentially gets off Scott free. The police don't issue a ticket, ICBC doesn't do anything, this whole situation is leaving me with a really sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully they do the right thing and it's only another week..

I was told before that you could bring it to the shop - pay the deductible and get it fixed right away. ICBC will call in the other registered owner - if they determine it's their fault, they will refund you the deductible. That is the option I heard is possible, not sure if they'll let you do that right now.

Unless, of course, you don't want pay the deductible to get it fixed should (god-forbid) ICBC rules that they weren't responsible.

Spidey 08-29-2012 08:49 PM

are you back in town now? maybe someone should talk to your neighbour.. your mom who is the primary witness should be the one calling icbc and or the police. i still don't know why no one has contacted the driver yet...

seekerbeta 08-30-2012 07:33 AM

I went through a hit and run a couple of Months back, I got the plate number, and filed a police report, the cop went to the guys house, where the forcibly towed the car to an ICBC impound lot to be examined, after 2 letter were ignored (3 weeks later) ICBC Ruled in my Favour and told me to go get the car fixed.. just be patient, you said this was your beater car, drive your good car for a while, or call ICBC and tell them its totally undrivable. this usually speeds up the claim

Marco911 08-30-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 (Post 8016019)

You can get your car fixed if you pay the deductible. The deductible will be refunded once the investigation is complete and they find in your favour.

BallPeenHammer2 09-03-2012 10:17 PM

and if they don't have another party that fesses up, then your insurance won't go up, given that it's gonna be classified as a hit-and-run without another party.

I know it's $300. But it can be worse =p

cdizzle_996 09-04-2012 07:35 AM

I appreciate all the suggestions, heres an update.

I didnt have collision on this car so it was as easy as just paying the deductable, and then letting them do their investigation.

I did get good news yesterday though, the owner of the car (the dad) got his daughter to fess up to him. It was a no brainer once, he actually found out what had happened. He called dial a claim this morning, so hopefully it'll get the ball rolling soon than later :)