REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Hit and run question.

Long story short, I'm out of town for the night and my car was hit. My parents beighbour backed out of their driveway and hit my car. My mom was in the window on the phone and watched the entire thing happen and the girl just drove away. I called in and made a hit and run claim, do I also contact the police?

She just came home and I got a picture of the truck

Advertisement
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
would have been better if the police were called right away. did you talk to your neighbour yet?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

is it just me or does the damage on the truck look like its been there for a while? can't really tell from the pic but the damage on the truck looks like its rusted already
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #4

There was previous damage, but if you look closely you can see green. I'm out of town and haven't seen the car aside from pictures, I guess I'll call the police when I'm home
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Call the non emergency line to report a hit and run. Worst case, they tell you that it's not necessary.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #6

I did call and report the hit and run to the icbc claim center and made a claim, she mentioned nothing about the police but I'm still going to call once I'm in home. I'm just glad it happened to my beater. What really pisses me off though Is that the women did it yesterday, was gone for the night and my parents told me she just came home an hour ago an never said a thing.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Of course she won't say anything, she doesn't think anyone saw her hit your car.

I've seen it at McDonald's parking lot too. Lucky for the Camaro guy, there were people outside eating and they all ran over to stop the driver that hit him from trying to get away.

Even at work, someone came into the parking lot, hit someone's car, got out and tried to push the hood back down before driving off! Someone upstairs saw it and ran over as the person was getting into their car.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

calling the police won't do you much...they don't really care about hit and run......but make sure to grab the girls plate number and give it to ICBC...cos she is liable for the damage.....if ICBC calls her up and she dosen't fess up...they might get her to go in to the claim center to do an inspection/damage comparison.
terryjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

I called the police, they only get involved if the car is blocking traffic, or if there is injuries. Icbc will do an investigation, and take care of everything.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjai View Post
calling the police won't do you much...they don't really care about hit and run......but make sure to grab the girls plate number and give it to ICBC...cos she is liable for the damage.....if ICBC calls her up and she dosen't fess up...they might get her to go in to the claim center to do an inspection/damage comparison.
I called in last night with her plate number, and that's exactly what they said.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
I called in last night with her plate number, and that's exactly what they said.
nice nice...hope it gets solved soon and you don't have to pay your deductible!
terryjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #12

Spoke to ICBC today, what a joke. They have to send a letter out to the registered owner. If they don't respond within a week, a second letter gets sent out and they have another week. So now we could be possibly 3 weeks down the road and my car still won't even be at the shop. Mean while I have no car and this person essentially gets off Scott free. The police don't issue a ticket, ICBC doesn't do anything, this whole situation is leaving me with a really sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully they do the right thing and it's only another week..
Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
... why would the cops do anything..

ICBC will take care of this just takes time.
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
... why would the cops do anything..

ICBC will take care of this just takes time.
Technically, the other person left the scene of an accident, which is against the law.
One of the mountie's involved in the airport tasering death was in an accident sometime afterwards, hitting a motorcyclist. He went home downed a few drinks before going back to the accident. He was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and obstruction of justice.

But because in this case the accident was minor to the police, they will not followup but to OP it is serious business cause he is out of a car to drive for the time being, and it is up in limbo if he has to pay for the repairs or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Technically, the other person left the scene of an accident, which is against the law.
One of the mountie's involved in the airport tasering death was in an accident sometime afterwards, hitting a motorcyclist. He went home downed a few drinks before going back to the accident. He was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and obstruction of justice.

But because in this case the accident was minor to the police, they will not followup but to OP it is serious business cause he is out of a car to drive for the time being, and it is up in limbo if he has to pay for the repairs or not.
I don't think the damage to the car was extensive to deem it inoperable. Failing to remain is a MVA and also in the criminal code, but no one has even contacted the driver yet to see his/her side of the story. There IS a chance, the driver did not realize he/she struck another vehicle. It is unlikely, but still possible.

you can see some of the OP's car paint on the bumper of the truck... Too bad you don't have the licence plate of the truck in view as well.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
^ and its your neighbour , they aren't going anywhere..
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #17

In response, my fender is jammed into the top of my tire, making it undrivable.

I do have a picture with the damage of the truck, and their plate.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Spoke to ICBC today, what a joke. They have to send a letter out to the registered owner. If they don't respond within a week, a second letter gets sent out and they have another week. So now we could be possibly 3 weeks down the road and my car still won't even be at the shop. Mean while I have no car and this person essentially gets off Scott free. The police don't issue a ticket, ICBC doesn't do anything, this whole situation is leaving me with a really sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully they do the right thing and it's only another week..
I was told before that you could bring it to the shop - pay the deductible and get it fixed right away. ICBC will call in the other registered owner - if they determine it's their fault, they will refund you the deductible. That is the option I heard is possible, not sure if they'll let you do that right now.

Unless, of course, you don't want pay the deductible to get it fixed should (god-forbid) ICBC rules that they weren't responsible.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
RS Veteran

are you back in town now? maybe someone should talk to your neighbour.. your mom who is the primary witness should be the one calling icbc and or the police. i still don't know why no one has contacted the driver yet...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #20
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I went through a hit and run a couple of Months back, I got the plate number, and filed a police report, the cop went to the guys house, where the forcibly towed the car to an ICBC impound lot to be examined, after 2 letter were ignored (3 weeks later) ICBC Ruled in my Favour and told me to go get the car fixed.. just be patient, you said this was your beater car, drive your good car for a while, or call ICBC and tell them its totally undrivable. this usually speeds up the claim
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
You can get your car fixed if you pay the deductible. The deductible will be refunded once the investigation is complete and they find in your favour.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

and if they don't have another party that fesses up, then your insurance won't go up, given that it's gonna be classified as a hit-and-run without another party.

I know it's $300. But it can be worse =p
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #23

I appreciate all the suggestions, heres an update.

I didnt have collision on this car so it was as easy as just paying the deductable, and then letting them do their investigation.

I did get good news yesterday though, the owner of the car (the dad) got his daughter to fess up to him. It was a no brainer once, he actually found out what had happened. He called dial a claim this morning, so hopefully it'll get the ball rolling soon than later