REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

Has anyone worked for Shell refinery before? Or know any that has?

I applied for a position a week ago and got an email "What to expect next" And that candidates there interested in will have to undergo a test at Northern Alberta institute of technology.. just curious what kind of test this would be? Id like to prepare for it
Advertisement

Last edited by DC5-S; 08-29-2012 at 02:40 PM.
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
It might be helpful to post the position that you applied for? I'm thinking a drug test since mines, mills, refineries, etc. subject the interviewee or employee to random drug testing. But I don't see why you would have to go all the way the northern alberta institute of technology for that.

I'm not sure about any tests, but I once had an interview with Shell for a coop engineering program. One thing that threw me off on the interview was scenario based questions. I've answered plenty of scenario based questions but the one they gave me was very different. The interviewer gave me an option of three scenarios and she based a bunch of questions off the scenario I picked. I thought it was kind of hard as the scenarios were nothing I have encountered in my life but I guess it tests you on the spot as to what you would do, your thinking process, etc. It's probably like any other interview questions, but like I said the unfamiliar scenarios just threw me off.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Not sure if this is helpful/relevant in your case... but certain mining/refinery sites require health tests as the conditions at these locations can be a health hazard. Working in mining right now... and these tests are always required of all employees who are traveling to some sites.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

What is the position so that we can help ya out better
blue_reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Safe to assume he is an operator/power engineer...

I would assume it's a basic competancy test. (Even if you have 3rd/4th class they will likely want to be sure you have a brain in your skull)

Edit: Oh and btw, any friends that I have who work for or have worked for Shell never complained about it once, they seem to pay pretty good and provide lots of perks.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

Great, I got an email that I passed the test three days ago, but I haven't recieved any email for an interview.. and they stated emails would be sent on or before the 12th for interviews.. this is fucking BS.. why even get someones hopes up to write the examination if you dont even plan to interview them if they pass. Fuck you Shell

And yes its for Process Operator/Power Engineer
Old 10-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Just wait a bit or give them a call and see what's up??

It seems like shell takes their sweet time doing things or maybe its just me. I applied for shell and did not get an interview until almost a year later. I even forgot I applied.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Well that doesn't make any sense, they stated in the email a month ago the steps that would lead up to being hired. they clearly state those selected for interviews will be contacted on or before Oct.12 and interviews will be conducted Oct.22 to Nov.2nd.. W.e. even with an employee referral and six years experience for an entry level job I still don't get an interview even after passing there bullshit test I had to fly to Edmonton for. Fuck them, there are plenty of other employers
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Perhaps you passed but other did much better than you did......
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
who paid for hte flight?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
I subscribe to Revscene

Doesn't matter how "well" you did on the test, they clearly stated a pass is a pass.. With that said I probably got 95%.. I had to pay for my flight.. Anyways a mod can close this thread now.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i work at the chevron refinery in burnaby as a electrical contractor. I am not too sure what shell is like. i can tell you that they are really big on safety. there are many protocol for all kinds of situation. like fire and h2s gas. but on the whole i have to say i like working at the refinery.
blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote