REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WEST VAN
Posts: 521
Thanked 704 Times in 136 Posts
Stolen phone...

I week or so back I bought a brand new Samsung SIII on craigslist, met up in person bought it, all good.

Today 2 RCMP officers showed up at my house, but no one was home. Left a card which I called to find out that the phone was a stolen one,

What kind of trouble am I facing.
Advertisement
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,518
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
If u can prove you bought it off of CL, probably nothing.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,052
Thanked 5,121 Times in 1,532 Posts
Show the proof like email exchanges or text messages with the seller. If that all checks out, they will probably confiscate the phone and you will be out what ever you paid for the stolen phone.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
No matter what you believed or were told when you bought it, you don't get to keep it. Posession of stolen property. Would be good for you to do everything to help them catch the thief so he doesn't rip off anyone else He ripped you and the owner of the phone off and he deliberately lied and screwed you over, knowing he was doing it. Need any more incentive to help them?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
zx7rrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,256
Thanked 223 Times in 72 Posts
say u sold it. Then sell it on ebay
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WEST VAN
Posts: 521
Thanked 704 Times in 136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
No matter what you believed or were told when you bought it, you don't get to keep it. Posession of stolen property. Would be good for you to do everything to help them catch the thief so he doesn't rip off anyone else He ripped you and the owner of the phone off and he deliberately lied and screwed you over, knowing he was doing it. Need any more incentive to help them?
So pissed out of $500...
Must have been a major crime for them to pursue the phone like they are.
Super choked at my self because I noted their license plate but deleted it a week ago.
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rrrr View Post
say u sold it. Then sell it on ebay
What the hell is wrong with you?

You would risk a criminal offence over a phone?!

At the end of the day, its only money. A criminal record, however, will follow you forever.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 604
Posts: 167
Thanked 342 Times in 43 Posts
wow do cops actually spend their time on this?
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,310
Thanked 721 Times in 197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rrrr View Post
say u sold it. Then sell it on ebay
Obviously if they traced the phone to his house in the first place then they can just search up the gps location on the phone again
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's Box
Posts: 618
Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
Had an incident a couple of months ago where a guy stole another guys phone. Victim calls his phone and talks to perp who stole it. Perp makes up story how he just bought it from a guy. Victim really wants phone back as it had pics of his new born daughter on it. Perp offers to sell it back to victim. Victim agrees to meet up with perp, and calls police ahead of time. They meet up at a store I was working at and as they exit perp sees police car and starts running back into the store, I see officer run in after him and just give up as he lost him right away. I chase after perp who runs out an emergency exit. Catch up to him, he threatens me, hits me in the head. I then tackle him and hand him over to the cops. He now faces PSP, Assault, and Uttering threats charges.
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb.kidz View Post
So pissed out of $500...
Must have been a major crime for them to pursue the phone like they are.
Super choked at my self because I noted their license plate but deleted it a week ago.
The fact that they are following up on a $500 theft...(is that what you paid or what it is actually worth ?) says to me that there is more to this story....like maybe this thief is a major player and you are just one of many victims...or maybe the thief stole lots of them worth lost of $$$$? Was the price too good to be true....a real bargain? If it was, now you know why. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
CA_FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Around the Town
Posts: 303
Thanked 65 Times in 29 Posts
This seems odd..I have bought Phones of Craigslist before..

When i meet the seller, i test my sim card, if it works i leave the SIM card in the phone.. at this point the phone might be on a different network. how are they tracking it with the Ability to locate the guys house.. seems odd..

Yes i realize that the Phone has the IMEI number etc.. but if your have switched to a different carrier seems to me it would be pretty hard to pursue.

I would think there is more to this story..
__________________
CA_FTW Says ^^^^^^^^^^
CA_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WEST VAN
Posts: 521
Thanked 704 Times in 136 Posts
Got off the phone with them today, apparently it was a phone store robbery, when I tested the phone with my sim the imei number was flagged to my account which took them straight to my billing address. I'm so choked at my self for deleting the license plate numver
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 564
Thanked 89 Times in 44 Posts
^ makes sense now
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WEST VAN
Posts: 521
Thanked 704 Times in 136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
The fact that they are following up on a $500 theft...(is that what you paid or what it is actually worth ?) says to me that there is more to this story....like maybe this thief is a major player and you are just one of many victims...or maybe the thief stole lots of them worth lost of $$$$? Was the price too good to be true....a real bargain? If it was, now you know why. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
The phone retails for $700, I paid $520 cash so it's not a "to good to be true" deal
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
cruz-in's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,023
Thanked 420 Times in 116 Posts
god dang!
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb.kidz View Post
The phone retails for $700, I paid $520 cash so it's not a "to good to be true" deal
Sorry to hear that. Most PSP cases I handled involved super deals that just screamed that the product just "fell of the back of a truck". I guess the $180 minus tax, plus not having to wait, did seem like a deal.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
oldsnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 3,948
Thanked 196 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_FTW View Post
This seems odd..I have bought Phones of Craigslist before..

When i meet the seller, i test my sim card, if it works i leave the SIM card in the phone.. at this point the phone might be on a different network. how are they tracking it with the Ability to locate the guys house.. seems odd..

Yes i realize that the Phone has the IMEI number etc.. but if your have switched to a different carrier seems to me it would be pretty hard to pursue.

I would think there is more to this story..
there are apps on phones that can trace the whereabouts of the owners phone.
the 'find my iphone' has helped me a few times find my phone.
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #19
Survivor MOD
 
T4RAWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,031
Thanked 1,504 Times in 525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rrrr View Post
say u sold it. Then sell it on ebay


Possession of stolen property under $5,000 = hybrid meaning it can be tried as a summary or indictable conviction.

Punishment of PSP under $5,000 = [Summary: 6 months jail time / $5,000 fine] -OR- [Indictable: 2 years in jail]

Why the fuck would you suggest he commit a CRIMINAL offence over $520?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid View Post
wow do cops actually spend their time on this?
If someone jacked your shit wouldnt you want the police to be working to try and get it back?

Last edited by T4RAWR; 08-31-2012 at 01:19 AM.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 AM   #20
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)
 
Tim Budong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Womb
Posts: 16,812
Thanked 10,864 Times in 2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb.kidz View Post
Got off the phone with them today, apparently it was a phone store robbery, when I tested the phone with my sim the imei number was flagged to my account which took them straight to my billing address. I'm so choked at my self for deleting the license plate numver
this is the only instance in which police will track down the stolen goods
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
Away
 
dkvby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Van
Posts: 228
Thanked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb.kidz View Post

Today 2 RCMP officers showed up at my house, but no one was home. Left a card which I called to find out that the phone was a stolen one
How did u know 2 rcmp showed up if u werent home? left 1 card with both officers name? good luck anyway
dkvby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 604
Posts: 167
Thanked 342 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
:seriously

If someone jacked your shit wouldnt you want the police to be working to try and get it back?
I would, but I would not expect them to and just write it off. To spend time to track down a stolen cellphone is retarded if there is more important matters to attend to. But after what the op said about cellphone store robbery it makes more sense.
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
HansonBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: eastside
Posts: 131
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
If someone jacked your shit wouldnt you want the police to be working to try and get it back?
I want the police to crack down on split second lane changers and people who turn or lane change without signaling, but we cant all get what we want can we?
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
Survivor MOD
 
T4RAWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,031
Thanked 1,504 Times in 525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBoy View Post
I want the police to crack down on split second lane changers and people who turn or lane change without signaling, but we cant all get what we want can we?
become a cop
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
racerman88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 604
Posts: 3,699
Thanked 340 Times in 208 Posts
Not sure if this would have helped, but my buddy asked the seller of the phone to meet him at a store so that he could have the store check to see if it was legit. Seller met him there and once the store said the phone was all good my buddy handed him the cash.
__________________
Fuelled by rice

FS www.list4all.com/racerboy88
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net