REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
...on a mission....

Why not?

I was wondering something the other day...while watching an officer trying to accomplish a left hand turn in an intersection while on his cell phone. ( He managed to make the corner turning the steering wheel with the elbow connected to the hand holding the phone.) Now, I may just be an ordinary citizen, but this doesn't seem to safe to me.

Why can't police officers be mandated to ALSO use technology and use hands free devices also? They have to drive the roads the same way we have to and I see no reason why not....................
Advertisement
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
In all honesty, and not to sound like a jerk, but I don't see the need for these questions...

Yes, it's unfair. And yes, of course you may complain about it. But the fact is (most) police officers are trying to make the place we live in a little bit safer, whether you agree with their methods or not.

Should they be accountable when they do something wrong, absolutely. Police investigating police is bullshit. But as an ordinary citizen, just like you, I don't care if a police officer talks on his cell phone while I can't, as long as he doesn't run over any children, and that he is held fully accountable if God forbid he does.

Just my honest opinion!
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
RS controls my life!

^+1 its a pretty thankless job. all people do is rip on them but they're just enforcing the laws. they don't make them! and the phone thing is no biggie. you have no idea what the conversation was about. could be about a crime could be about whats for dinner. its like complaining about a cop speeding with no lights. they may just be speeding or they may be trying to get to a scene quietly. sometimes you just need to cut them some slack.

and police DO sometime have to resort to cell phones when radios are not working properly.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
w.e. man police can do whatever the fuck they want and their all right.

the other day on hastings when the green light went, we proceeded straight and a cop took a right on the right side coming into our lane, the honda beside me had to emergency brake for the cop. and guess what? the cop decided to slam on his brake as well and go 25-30 km/h. wtf?
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

I think you're missing the point.

That police officer may have done something at that time that may have made a lot of people angry, at that time.

But it's going to be the same officer that shows up when you call 911 when your house gets broken into.

Does that mean he is going to do a half-ass job investigating because he cut you off? I'd like to think not, anyway.

And the majority of people who talk shit about police aren't going to be so tough when they see an officer on the street.

There is greater responsibility and a higher standard that is set when greater authority is given, but again, I stand by the point that yes, the police can do whatever the hell they want as long as it's not terribly out of line and that they're there to save my ass when I need them.

Anyway, aren't there more important things in your life to worry about lol
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I think you're missing the point.

That police officer may have done something at that time that may have made a lot of people angry, at that time.

But it's going to be the same officer that shows up when you call 911 when your house gets broken into.

Does that mean he is going to do a half-ass job investigating because he cut you off? I'd like to think not, anyway.

And the majority of people who talk shit about police aren't going to be so tough when they see an officer on the street.

There is greater responsibility and a higher standard that is set when greater authority is given, but again, I stand by the point that yes, the police can do whatever the hell they want as long as it's not terribly out of line and that they're there to save my ass when I need them.

Anyway, aren't there more important things in your life to worry about lol
No, I think YOU missed the point. Should not ALL drivers on the road...drive in a safe manner? I'm not pissed because the officer is ALLOWED to drive while holding a cell phone...I'm saying that IF is has been decided that driving while holding a cell phone is dangerous.....and the technology is there....why SHOULDN'T the officers just use blue tooth etc? If it's safer for us, it MUST be safer for them...and anything to make their job safer......

There is NO reason why an officer CAN'T use hands free....no reason at all......just because they have "higher authority" does not necessarily mean they can "get away" with things. I think it would also be good PR for the officers to "conform" to the standards they are trying to enforce as much as possible. Wouldn't it be a little hypocritical if that same officer pulled me over and gave me a distracted driving ticket if he was guilty of the same thing?

Last edited by Simnut; 08-31-2012 at 11:06 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Like driving with his elbow? hehehehe
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
and police DO sometime have to resort to cell phones when radios are not working properly.
I don't disagree...just use hands free!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
No, I think YOU missed the point. Should not ALL drivers on the road...drive in a safe manner? I'm not pissed because the officer is ALLOWED to drive while holding a cell phone...I'm saying that IF is has been decided that driving while holding a cell phone is dangerous.....and the technology is there....why SHOULDN'T the officers just use blue tooth etc? If it's safer for us, it MUST be safer for them...and anything to make their job safer......

There is NO reason why an officer CAN'T use hands free....no reason at all......just because they have "higher authority" does not necessarily mean they can "get away" with things. I think it would also be good PR for the officers to "conform" to the standards they are trying to enforce as much as possible. Wouldn't it be a little hypocritical if that same officer pulled me over and gave me a distracted driving ticket if he was guilty of the same thing?
That's a lot of underlining and bolding...so I'll just leave this. Quoting you directly. "IF is has been decided that driving while..." It has also been decided that emergency personnel are exempt from this. If you want to make a fuss about who decides what, write a letter to your MLA.

If there are two people of the same status, where one forbids the other from doing something he's doing himself, yes it's hypocritical. Police vs. citizens, are not on the same level. Again, i'm giving the police a huge benefit of the doubt, hoping that the guy you saw wasn't talking to his girlfriend about what pizza to pick up. But in the bigger scheme of things, police officers need to be able to communicate as easily as possible, while you and I are made to follow a separate set of rules/laws, for us.

Edit: adding.

Re-read your post and I thought I'd offer a handshake by saying I'm not entirely sure WHY they're exempt. I do still stand by my point that, I, for one, don't care if they're exempt or not. There must be a good reason.

(although looking at the current state of events, it seems as if there are less and less people with common sense making decisions...so...lol)

Last edited by inv4zn; 08-31-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
...on a mission....

Officers have enough on their hands just doing their job. If holding a cell phone is worthy of a "distracted driving" violation, and is dangerous while driving....let's remove one unneeded dangerous distraction from the officer, by "allowing" (read require) them to use hands free.

I know officers require latitude in what they do, because of their job....but....if there is a safer way to do one aspect of it......doesn't it make sense to require officers to use hands free also while driving?

Quote:
(although looking at the current state of events, it seems as if there are less and less people with common sense making decisions...so...lol)
I agree......
Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
I subscribe to Revscene

I was just thinking something very similar.

I understand the need for police to have phones and radios. I've also heard that "police are trained to use said devices while driving".

Ok then, so if it's safe for an officer to use a phone while driving while on duty, why can't they apply the same training and be exempt while off duty too?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Ok then, so if it's safe for an officer to use a phone while driving while on duty, why can't they apply the same training and be exempt while off duty too?
Mmmmm...interesting question.........
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

And I don't think this has anything to do with cop bashing as some posters have concluded. It's all about the seemingly application of policies where safety is concerned.

We've been told that using a handheld electronic device while driving is akin to driving drunk, but no police officer would be permitted to drive in an inebriated state, even if he was in the process of carring out police related activities.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I never answered my cell phone or looked at the MDT screen while driving. Not worth the risk. Some of those I worked with had other opinions. There is an exemption under the MVA but if any crash resulted then liability would fall on the phone user, no matter where they worked. I'm not aware of the latest policy but would assume it would say something like that.

I know in the past where Members were charged for crashes while exercising the exemptions and I am not aware if policy has changed? Big "however" here....we don't know what the call was about and if the Member had decided the the seriousness of the event outweighed the risk involved.

The problem is not just the physical requirements of holding the phone while driving, it is the mental distraction that can last up to 15 minutes after the call, according to studies done.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I never answered my cell phone or looked at the MDT screen while driving. Not worth the risk. Some of those I worked with had other opinions. There is an exemption under the MVA but if any crash resulted then liability would fall on the phone user, no matter where they worked. I'm not aware of the latest policy but would assume it would say something like that.

I know in the past where Members were charged for crashes while exercising the exemptions and I am not aware if policy has changed? Big "however" here....we don't know what the call was about and if the Member had decided the the seriousness of the event outweighed the risk involved.

The problem is not just the physical requirements of holding the phone while driving, it is the mental distraction that can last up to 15 minutes after the call, according to studies done.
A wise man has spoken....diplomatically put Zulu....adds a bit of perspective to it...thanks.

Last edited by Simnut; 09-01-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
can't they just make BT standard issue and be done with the controversy?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
can't they just make BT standard issue and be done with the controversy?
Problem is, some people look for controversy wherever they can find it... or they invent it, if necessary (looking at you, sebberry).

Give the cops all BT, they'll find something else to complain about (how about, "new drivers aren't even allowed to use handsfree, so it must not be completely safe either, so why are cops allowed to?")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Simnut's still bitter that his son lost his license for drinking and driving, but a small number of police officers are somehow allowed to drink, drive, sometimes even kill people and get away with it.

Crazy Simnut.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Simnut's still bitter that his son lost his license for drinking and driving, but a small number of police officers are somehow allowed to drink, drive, sometimes even kill people and get away with it.

Crazy Simnut.
Still as stupid as before eh? lol Your avatar is very suitable! hehehe

Last edited by Simnut; 09-02-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Problem is, some people look for controversy wherever they can find it... or they invent it, if necessary (looking at you, sebberry).

Give the cops all BT, they'll find something else to complain about (how about, "new drivers aren't even allowed to use handsfree, so it must not be completely safe either, so why are cops allowed to?")
Hey Soundy dude!

Are police allowed to go through red lights?

My answer is yes....WHEN it is safe to do so!

Who is liable if an officer is going through a red light and collides with a vehicle that has the green light?

My answer is...the officer....as he is only allowed to proceed through the red light when it is safe to do so.

My question is this then....why are officers not required to be hands free with cell phones (remember, there no reasons why they CAN'T BE) if it has been deemed unsafe by the province to be driving otherwise? They are allowed to "bend" the driving laws IF it is safe to do so......driving while holding a cell phone is NEVER safe to do so...according to their "bosses".

My point is this.....(even if it's just for GOOD PR for the police force)......officers SHOULD conform to laws they are enforcing when possible...and driving hands free is ENTIRELY possible.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

if cops are on par with N drivers

jk i get where you're coming from...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Who is liable if an officer is going through a red light and collides with a vehicle that has the green light?

My answer is...the officer....as he is only allowed to proceed through the red light when it is safe to do so.
once you hear the siren, you pull over and get the fuck out the way. that's how it goes
if you're stupid enough to move your vehicle while they're responding to an emergency, then you deserve the liability

y such a hater
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
then you deserve the liability
r
YOU answer the questions I put in that post (in legal aspects, not emotionsl)....see what answers YOU come up with? Cops are NOT impervious to persecution....and YES....they DO have to be safe when the public is involved...IE ON PUBLIC ROADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know why??? 'Cause you and me are one of them "public"!!!

Quote:
y such a hate
Not a hater!!! Where do you guys get this from????? I have two cops in my family!!!!....brother in law and nephew!!!!!!! Look at what I've said.......I'm trying to lay out reasoning...........NOT "bash" cops!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
I'm trying to lay out reasoning...........NOT "bash" cops!!!!!!!!
Too late, they'v already formed an opinion of you. Just like they have of me. (Looking at you, Soundy)

I wouldn't mind if there was a policy for the police that prohibited dialing a phone while driving. Answering while driving should be permitted but come with the requirement to pull over as soon as possible.

I'm sorry, but if having a conversation on a cell phone has been shown to be as problematic as driving drunk, nobody should be doing it.

Anyone here ever turn down the radio when you're looking for an address in an unfamiliar place? Ever notice how when you're listening to a talkshow on the radio your brain "tunes out" of the program when faced with some more complicated/challenging driving situations?

Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #25
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Anyone here ever turn down the radio when you're looking for an address in an unfamiliar place? Ever notice how when you're listening to a talkshow on the radio your brain "tunes out" of the program when faced with some more complicated/challenging driving situations?
this is the number one reason why all the studies i have ever seen or read about regarding cell use while driving are bs. most of the studies i've seen include skill testing questions or other questions that require a fair amount of brain usage to answer but the drivers are not given the option to simply not answer or to postpone answering or to ask for the question to be asked again. (which would better reflect real world scenarios) don't get me wrong. i don't actually think talking on a cell and driving is safe but imo the studies out there about it being worse then say driving drunk are strait bs.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote