REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Rumored: Honda, Acura Could Adopt ZF 9-Speed Automatic By 2014

Quote:

Although most of Honda’s recent powertrain news has surrounded CVTs and dual-clutch transmissions, that shouldn’t be taken as a sign the automaker is abandoning conventional automatics altogether. In fact, the automaker will likely adopt a 9-speed automatic by 2014 at the earliest.

Automotive News first reported in late 2011 that Honda was planning on launching an eight- or nine-speed automatic in the near future, but a source close to the program now tells us the automaker will use the new nine-speed transverse automatic developed by German powertrain supplier ZF.

If that gearbox sounds vaguely familiar, it should: it’s set to make its initial debut in a string of Chrysler Group vehicles over the next two years. Fiat/Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne first hinted at using/developing the transmission in late 2010. Chrysler itself has been relatively mum on the subject, but UAW officials at the company’s plant in Toledo, Ohio, have suggested the replacement for the Jeep Liberty will be one of the first applications of the transmission.

The transmission, which ZF calls the 9HP, is designed for transverse installations, making it suitable for front- and all-wheel-drive platforms. Although Honda has typically developed its own transmissions, the 9HP will be a significant departure from Honda’s existing automatics in that it utilizes planetary gearsets in order to save space (ZF says the gearbox measures 20.5 inches wide, 16.6 in tall, and 14.5 inches deep).

ZF proclaims the gearbox is capable of handling up to 354 lb-ft of torque, and can support both start/stop and hybrid drive systems. The total gearing spread is quite wide (9.84:1), and taller gear ratios in the upper range of the gearbox allegedly play a big part in improving fuel economy by 10-16 percent. The supplier claims an engine mated to the 9HP needs to run at a mere 1900 rpm in order to propel a vehicle at 75 mph.

Honda officials refrained from confirming or denying the gearbox or its future applications, noting it’s company policy not to comment on future product plans. Given every Honda and Acura model currently on the market places its engine in a transverse fashion, the possibilities are theoretically endless, but we wouldn’t be surprised if this transmission is relegated to heavier and more upscale midsize models. Models like the Odyssey and Pilot, along with the Acura MDX and TL, are all potential recepients. Presently, these models utilize Honda’s 3.5-liter and 3.7-liter V-6 engines, and produce between 253 and 270 lb-ft of torque, respectively – well within the capabilities of the 9HP.

What remains to be seen is how the 9HP will be rolled out. We know ZF should start building 9HPs within its South Carolina plant in 2013 for Chrysler, but rumor has it Honda won’t start using the transmission until 2014. If so, the next-generation Acura TL, which is expected to launch in late 2013, could be one of the first vehicles to utilize the transmission.
Finally?
Advertisement
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Its about time. Some of their cars still use 5 speed transmissions.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
I wonder if this will fall apart like their older autos
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
10psi aint enough...

Some older gen honda transmission were subcontracted to GM since they never had to match v6 motors.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Maybe DOHC V6 engines in their future too!
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post
I wonder if this will fall apart like their older autos
Nah, ZF makes very good transmission units unlike Honda...
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Give me a stick over any form of "auto"
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
GM makes a huge number of transmission since they also have shares in Getrag.

eg They have a hand in nearly all european longitudinal transmissions (except Mercedes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
Some older gen honda transmission were subcontracted to GM since they never had to match v6 motors.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #9

The problem with 9 speeds in most stop and go traffic the 9th speed is practically useless.

ZF boggie was Mini / 500, so I can't see them pairing with anything more than 4cyl... at least in the near future.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

still doesn't solve the problem of Honda making not so stellar transmissions. The reality is car manufacturers are turning into component integrators. It takes economy of scale to afford the R&D for the few percentage improvement in fuel economy.

Case in point, take a look at Subaru's transmissions.. they are stuck with CVT or 5 speed automatic for higher power just because there is no one else to share cost with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Give me a stick over any form of "auto"

Last edited by godwin; 09-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Maybe DOHC V6 engines in their future too!
Dont they have that in the nsx?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS

I doubt this will happen. Honda has used their own in-house transmissions for as long as I can remember... and they've spent considerable resources developing their new 6 speed automatics which have just recently been adding to their cars (mostly Acura models + Honda Odyssey Touring). If history is indicative, these 6 speed transmissions will be with Honda for a very long time.
THORISHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Auto...matic?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

When I hear Honda and Transmission....
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: