REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
my dad wants to be a detailer...

Ok so here's my story...

I went to see my dad just last week in New Brunswick. He was pretty shocked to see me show up at his doorstep after 24 years being apart! It was a very good reunion and I learned a lot from his side of my family. I also got to meet an 18 year-old half brother I had never met before! Pretty cool.

So anyways, my dad has been off of work for quite a while due to some illness. Now he's itching to get back into things. He had expressed interest in doing some auto detailing out of his garage to keep himself busy and make some extra coin. Question is, what kind of products should he use to start out? He's not exactly rich but I want him to invest in simething decent so he can start doing some business with it. He can gradually pick up some better products as he moves along.

Any help is appreciated! I want him to get starting on this new and interesting venture!
Advertisement

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Best thing to do is practice on his own car to show what he can do. Detail friend's cars as well to show off his work as well.
I'll let the pro's recommend what to get.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Don't let him get overwhelmed by all the stuff available. Keep it simple. Here is what I would recommend.

soap (by the gallon)
APC (by the gallon) for cleaning tires/wheels/doorjambs
tire dressing
Assorted brushes

glass cleaner (concentrate by the gallon)
interior cleaner (concentrate by the gallon)

clay (optional)
Paint sealant

Assorted microfibre towels. I'd suggest Costco ones for pretty much everything other than the paint. Pick up half a dozen nice ones for sealant removal.

This will allow him to do wash and vacuum packages and have sealant as an upsell. Very simple. Very profitable.

If you want specific brands and /or pricing, feel free to pm me.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Thanks for the tip! He lives in northern New Brunswick so I think I'll send him some stuff from here. Would you recommend staying away from the usual Canadian tire type brands like Mothers and Maguires?

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #5

Only because of the cost. Off the shelf stuff isn't bad, but buying gallons will save you tons, even with the cost of shipping them. I can help set you up with whatever you need.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

trying not to scratch during clay bar, or buffing is hard. Could be more of a liablity if he doesnt have business insurance. One could easily say I went to him to have the car detailed and he scratched my paint now I need a new paint job.

Last edited by Iamacop; 10-02-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Iamacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamacop View Post
trying not to scratch during clay bar, or buffing is hard. Could be more of a liablity if he doesnt have business insurance. One could easily say I went to him to have the car detailed and he scratched my paint now I need a new paint job.
If you are using a lighter clay like Meguiars or any of the yellows that are available, the chances of marring the paint are slim to none. As well, if the gentleman in question is using a DA polisher ( Porter Cable, Griots etc ), its next to impossible to leave holograms in the paint. Neither one of these scenarios would require a respray to fix, only a polish with a light, finishing polish.